Author Topic: 1 cocker or 2 arguments?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
Re: 1 cocker or 2 arguments?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:18 PM »
I want two as well and have a reluctant OH. At the moment I'm having to respect his wishes as our next project is IVF. I've said though that if after three attempts to make a baby, if it hasn't worked we gt another pup. He agreed to that! Maybe a little emotinal blackmail is what you need?  ph34r :005:

Seriously though, I do respect what OH wants because he does the majority of the hard work and I do the fun bits. If we di get another it would have to be with both of us fully commited. I can imagine the pup cryiong in the night or pooing in the house and me feeling guilty because I talked him ito it, and him feeling resentful cause he didn't want it in the first place. That would be awful! We tend to work as a team so we both need to be committed.

"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Neffer

• My babies..........
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
When we got our dogs, we weren't really given a choice.  We had our name down for a Toller pup and he wasn't expected for another year, so we went ahead and got our springer Molly.  A few weeks later we had a call from our breeder and 6 weeks later we got our Toller Kimi.  It was great having the 2 dogs at such a young age, they learnt from each other and they also became great companions.  Then in January'07 we decided to go for dog number 3 and in just over a week we get dog no. 4.  People kept telling us we were mad for having 2 puppies at once, but it was the best time ever!!

You do change certain aspects of your day to day life with the more dogs you have, and with dog 3 there were some trying times, but I can't imagine him not being a part of the family.

With dog no 4, my OH took charge, we wanted a rescue cocker but didn't have much luck so he caved-in and we've got Maisy coming to us soon.  I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your situation - good luck!!!

Redstead Kuramathi Bay - Maisy
Fenlander Magic Miss Molly - Molly
Decoymans Peace River - Kimi
Neilsharbour Gorsey Down - Yoshi

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
I honestly think the jump from one to two is the hardest jump of all - BUT having taken the plunge to get number 2 the others came fairly easily for us! :005: :005: :005:
Yes having 5 dogs is crazy
Yes it is hard work
Yes being on holiday with all 5 is daunting - BUT
I wouldn't change it for all the world!  Go for it, but once you have persuaded your other half it was his idea all along :005:, you will have no problems.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »
I got Katie cos there was such a large age difference between Smudge and my old girl Suzie, who at 13 does not really want to play for long with a young 18 month old. I ummed and ah'd for a fair while and changed my mind more than once. But now I have her and see the fun (and spats) that these two have together I am really pleased I went ahead. Yes they are more work - but also more fun too.  Now Katie has had her 2nd jab I can see more fun times ahead too lol :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »
I want two as well and have a reluctant OH. At the moment I'm having to respect his wishes as our next project is IVF. I've said though that if after three attempts to make a baby, if it hasn't worked we gt another pup. He agreed to that! Maybe a little emotinal blackmail is what you need?  ph34r :005:

Seriously though, I do respect what OH wants because he does the majority of the hard work and I do the fun bits. If we di get another it would have to be with both of us fully commited. I can imagine the pup cryiong in the night or pooing in the house and me feeling guilty because I talked him ito it, and him feeling resentful cause he didn't want it in the first place. That would be awful! We tend to work as a team so we both need to be committed.

very well said. :D  Fingers crossed for your IVF  :luv: