Author Topic: Howling in her sleep  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Astridx

• Site Member
Howling in her sleep
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
Last night I was woken by Lottie howling in her sleep.  She sleeps by my bed.  She was sitting up with her head lifted but didn't acknowledge me so must have still been asleep bless her.  She's done it before.  It's such a funny noise she makes.  I woke her up gently and it took a while for her to acknowledge me with her waggy tail  :luv:.

Does anyone else's dog do this?

plus - while I've got a thread going I wanted to also ask what you call it when your dog body slides across your furniture?  Lottie does this when she's wet and leans into furniture, walls, me (doesn't matter what!) to get dry.  I'm sure most dogs must do it but would be intrigued to find out what you all call it!!
Lottie and Astrid

Offline KarenB

Re: Howling in her sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »
Rosie howls quite a lot in her sleep, it's so funny to watch, as her body shakes and shudders, then either the whimpering or the howl begins, I often wonder what she's dreaming about, maybe a nice juicy steak ! :005:

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Remy only once howled in her sleep it was so funny,

And yes she also rubs herself on the furniture if she is wet. But she also rubs herself on it, as soon as i get the hairdryer out to dry my hair after a shower  -  when she is not even wet  ::)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
Misha does the body sliding bit especially if she's had a bath, tries to rub up against everything.  Also does it if I've given her a spritz of doggy deoderant, its like she just wants to try and rub the yucky smell off   :005: (only do it if we've got company coming round)

Misha doesn't howl in her sleep but does do little barks.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »
Dil used to do this, it was a spooky throaty howl that I never once heard him do when he was awake (he loved to howl at the Corrie theme tune alot but was a completely diff howl). I always wanted to know what he was dreaming about!

He also did 'the slide' thing as well, after a bath he would make a full circuit of the room, sliding against anything that came his way......although the couch was his fav!

x

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »
Merry's just recently started howling in his sleep! The first time was when he was staying with my mum and he gave her such a fright!
Since then he's done it a few times and it's quite spooky! I wonder what he's dreaming about.
He's also done the sat up with head flung back whilst still asleep thing - very weird!
And yes, he tries to dry himself on everything too  ::) What annoys me even more though, is when he wipes his chops on stuff after dinner - dirty little beastie  :005:
Emma and Merry the Pirate x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
My Weim does it but it's more of a sort of howl crossed with squeaks and shudders  :005:

Rabbits is my guess  :lol:

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »
Gari does the slide thing, he runs around the bed or along the couch then licks it! :o :005:

Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »
Bonnie howls in her sleep sometimes when at my feet under the PC table. It's a wind up howl starting low and getting higher in pitch. Very spooky sound!! I've never tried to wake her. :luv:
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »
William does little barks in his sleep sometimes, but not howls.

He also does the sliding and rubbing against furniture when he's wet (leaves strange tidemarks at Cocker Spaniel level on the sofas) and likes to wipe his mouth against my clothes after he's eaten!

Do you also have Cocker nose smears on your patio doors? My friend reckons she has 3 levels of it, cat, Cocker and Retriever :005:

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »
Shelley howls in her sleep - it is a very alarming noise indeed  very unlike her usual daytime noises  :lol2:  it starts off like a wail and just gets louder and louder - like a siren going off....thankfully it does not happen every night as they both sleep in our room in their beds.  Both do the slide thing, but Saffy goes one further and does it after a meal as well  ph34r

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

Do you also have Cocker nose smears on your patio doors? My friend reckons she has 3 levels of it, cat, Cocker and Retriever :005:

We have nose art on both our cars rear windows and on the window in the living room!

Fred whimpers and occasionally grumbles in his sleep but luckily enough we have had no howling yet!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »
Not a peep out of Mundy but Jenni does the whole gambit. Howls, crys and a real deep in-the-throat bark.  She also 'runs' in her sleep.  I put it down to her rotten start in life and hope she will soon forget it.
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:29 PM »
I know I’m reviving a post from 2008 but I was curious!! I searched ‘Howling’ and it came up!!

Twice now in a week Bella has howled in her sleep, the first one was a 2.00am wake up howl that came out of nowhere and clearly she was deep in some kind of dream as I had to wake her up to get her to stop!! Also, just now while sitting quietly next to me let us the deep throated howl that sounded like an awful creature of the night!! She made me jump and in doing so I dropped my pad on her which quickly woke her up and it stopped.

I guess I just wanted the reassurance that I wasn’t going mad and that she’s not the only dog that does it...also that it’s just dreaming and that nothings wrong.

Funny creatures that they are.x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »
She‘s probably dreaming about the mackerel!!  :005: :005: :005: