Author Topic: Are there any colours that seem to be smaller ? As Honey is leggy.  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Mr Darcy

Aoologies in advance if this is a stupid question but are there any specific cocker colours that seem to be smaller when fully grown. Honey my gorgeous  golden girl is leggy and most of the other goldens that i have seen seem to follow this trait. Honey is a show not a worker. I remember as a child a friends parents had 2 black cockers and both of these were very short legged. Didn't realise they were cockers untill many years later, I was only 7. ph34r

Offline KatieJean

Re: Are there any colours that seem to be smaller ? As Honey is leggy.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
We have willow blue roan who is a small cocker but bracken who is choc roan and tan is long in body and legs but I don't think it is necessarily a colour thing.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
I don't think it's a colour thing. The size will come from the parents. It is down to genetics. I have a black girl who is tiny but comes from lines that are small. On the other end of the scale I have Monty who is the biggest cocker I've ever seen.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Mr Darcy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »
 Thankyou, The last choc cocker i saw was really small and honey towered over him, he was beautiful. If its not a colour thing do small parents breed smaller puppies or is it just random as to the size they grow.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
I have a small and compact choc roan ..Biba...and a leggy blonde (golden)..Lola   ;) but Lolas mum was tall and Bibas mum was smaller   :D

Offline Mr Darcy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
oops cross post sorry about that. Thankyou, so if i was tempted again and wanted a shorter cocker i need to look for a smaller mum.  If you see what i mean  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
Misha & Roly have the same dad - Misha choc/tan (13months) is quite petite standing at approx 13", whereas Roly choc/white (8months) is just under 16" - both mums were pretty much the same size.  Roly is bigger than his Dad, and when I first went to see him as a 5week old puppy I was told that he was going to be a bigger dog.  At 8 weeks he was the size of a 10 week old puppy.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline spaniels ears

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »
Don't know what happened with mine then, I have one that is very chunky and slightly smaller, and one that is slim and quite dainty and slightly taller, but they are brother!!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »
I have three from the same litter and are all Goldens. One very tiny girl, One medium girl and the boy is the bigest. Just right for showing. The mum is small and the dad big.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
My first 2 were half brothers. Golden Josh was 15.5 inches at the shoulder, so correct height for showing. Black Sam looked like a giant in the show ring as he was well over height at nearly 18 inches!