Author Topic: How to introduce a new puppy to my 8 year old male cocker spaniel Waffle?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline hele

I would like some advice please about how to introduce a new cocker spaniel puppy into our home.
I have a Blue roan cocker male who is very dominant . He  has a lovely temperament but is quite territorial when other dogs come into the house.
I am thinking of getting a  cocker spaniel bitch but i would appreciate any advice to help me settle in a puppy with my older established dog.
Thanks

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
We have always introduced our new dogs to the others in the back garden.  We go and collect the puppy - having first made sure our resident dogs have something that smells of the pup beforehand so it is a familiar scent.
Then we get one of our kids to let the dogs out into the garden.
We come in, go straight into the garden with the new pup and the resident dogs are all so pleased to see us that it's almost an after thought that they realise we have also bought a puppy with us!!!!  Lots of sniffing and snuffling ensues, but the overwhelming thing is the dogs are happy to see us too!

It also guarantees the pup does a wee in the garden rather than the house after it's journey home!

We also ensure they are supervised at all times, or separated if we go out - until we are 100% that all will be well (in fact we still crate Poppy and Buffy when we go out just to be on the safe side!)

Good luck!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
This is what I'm doing with William and Louis at the moment. William is a 5 year old castrated male and Louis is 8 weeks old and arrived yesterday.

William was already familiar with the smell of Louis as I'd been to see Louis several times so came home with my clothes smelling of him. Yesterday, I went into the back garden with William, with his collar on in case I needed to get hold of him quickly. My friend then carried Louis into the garden. It seemed OK for a few seconds, then William kept walking away from Louis and trying to ignore him, but growling each time Louis approached him.

It's pretty much the same now. They're not left together unsupervised and William chooses to ignore Louis as much as possible, but growls if Louis comes near him if I'm close by. If I'm a few feet away William has just started to touch noses with Louis, so it seems that the main problem is that he's jealous of Louis getting my attention.

I'm not telling William off and I'm trying to spend some "quality time" with him when Louis is asleep, but it's difficult when Louis is awake and following me around. Louis is a very confident little chap, which really helps. I reckon they'll be OK after a while, but it may take some time.