Author Topic: Need a coat  (Read 1783 times)

Offline XKinnieX

• Kinnie x
Need a coat
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »
When we take kinnie out in the cold and wet, would it be a good idea to get him a coat to wear?
 :-\ :luv:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
Re: Need a coat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Unless he is shivering i wouldnt- they are hardy little dogs with thick coats (unless clipped :P) :shades: but maybe for when hes back at home, like an equafleece to help him dry off quicker? xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
Even clipped as he is mine doesn't have a coat, just a fleece to dry off afterwards. They're designed to work outdoors all day!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »
Even clipped as he is mine doesn't have a coat, just a fleece to dry off afterwards. They're designed to work outdoors all day!

yes they are, and were bred to be kennelled as working dogs - so ours are much more likely to be 'softer' and susceptible to feeling the cold if they have the luxury of centrally heated homes to live in (which is also why inside dogs moult all year long instead of having two seasonal big moults).

I think it depends on the dog - mine is happy to be coat free while he works or while he's on walks getting muddy and wet - but when he stops being active he feels the cold and really shivers which is when we throw his fleece on him  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
I have some coats for mine, they don't wear them all of the time but will bring them out of the cupboard if its really windy, cold or pouring down.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »
I am inclined to agree with Helen.  Our dogs are not kept outside all the time, and they are used to a centrally heated environment.

We take ours on the Yorkshire Moors, and even when it is a sunny day down below in the village, it is really windy and cold up on the heights.......Brrrrrrrrrr.
So, in winter, we put something on them.  Just had two fab fleeces, from Mollycuddles.

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline mcphee

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
I have started using a fleece after wet cold muddy walks, as I saw Rufus shiver for the first time this year, and I wish to keep his hips warm. I am not sure he would be able to wear one whilst on his missions, however.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
Mine have coats but only really wear them during freezing weather  :blink:

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »
Smudge and Oliver have coats for when it is raining cats and dogs...they are really funny they both seem so proud when we put them on them and I'm sure they show off to the wet dogs around them! :005: :005:

Offline BrianC

• Matilda
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
We have gone through a couple with mine, since Matilda's such an awkward size. The one we ended up going for was a medium/large sized one from Old Navy's dog range in the states (we happened to be out there at the time), and although it fits her well in most places, we have to put a spare human belt around her middle to keep the thing on when she runs around. If size is an issue there's a few different suppliers who will make you a custom coat specifically for your dog's size - one of these days we'll make that purchase.

Of course there's the argument that a dog with a full coat is already protected from the elements, but some days you don't feel like having to give the dog a full wash and dry when you bring her back into the house.

Brian

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
Most of our walks end up at a cafe for a coffee.  Ellie doesn't wear her equafleece whilst she is running around, but in winter when we stop for a drink she cools down rapidly and I put her equafleece on then and she loves it.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »
William has a polo neck Equafleece that he wears when it rains in winter, but not when it's just cold, although I'll put it on him in the car on the way home after walks in the cold.

Louis doesn't have a coat on at all when walking because he goes in all the mud and water he can find  >:(. But I have a dry dog bag to put him in on the way home if he's really wet, or William's old Equafleece for him if he's not too bad.

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
I work on the grounds that if I need a hat and gloves that the dogs might feel the cold too, so I have  got a "weatherbeater" coat for each of them, I got them from a local saddlery and they are the same as the rugs etc you get for horses, with reflective stripe on the back

works a treat :)

Phil

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
Mine wear coats on evening lead walks but not really in the day as they're so active, they don't stop and I think they'd get too warm and as there walks are v.close to home/work they come straight back into the warm.  :luv: Mika has a big fluffy coat which really traps in the warm air so she def doesn't need a coat! She hates the heat so is loving this time of year! Penny, the oldie on the other hand has a huge selection of coats  :005:

Most of our walks end up at a cafe for a coffee. 

Sounds like my kinda walk!!  :005: :D

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »

Most of our walks end up at a cafe for a coffee. 

Sounds like my kinda walk!!  :005: :D

It comes from having an OH who is totally incapable of walking past a cafe without going in!  I used to laugh at people in the soaps who live just down the street but went into the cafe for tea or coffee.  I couldn't understand why they didn't just go home.  Now I understand.  Just down the lane at the back of our house is a local beauty spot with a cafe.  Last week they gave us free coffee and mince pies, as in their words 'you have kept us going this year'.  It just shows how often we go!!!!!!