Author Topic: 1 dog or 2?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
1 dog or 2?
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
Hi, I've been reading with interest the varied subjects of this forum and noticed that a lot of people have at least 2 dogs.  Do you think it is better to have 2 (or more) if you can?  I've had Odie (10 wks) for 2 weeks now and have been wondering whether it would be better to have a companion for him or not.  I have 2 daughters aged 5 and 6 years and I'm at home all day but as Odie is just a wee pup, he doesn't like being left alone when I go on the school run/shopping etc.  Would another dog help him or would they bond and just ignore me?!  :005: What are your thoughts on this please?
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: 1 dog or 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »

Very few of the people on here have two dogs that have grown up together from puppies....
Having two pups at the same time is INCREDIBLY hard work - you have to devote enough time to training and exercising two dogs seperately, because if you don't they will bond with each other rather than you....

Additionally two dogs who are very close in age can develop issues getting along together as they hit adolescence.

There are people here for whom it has worked out well - there are other tales where people have had to take the agonising decision to rehome one of their beloved pets.  :-\
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
Hi, I didn't mean another pup, I meant an older dog (2+ years?).  I don't think I could cope with two puppies at the same time!  :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »

That's a different kettle of fish altogether.....  :D

You would still need to devote a good amount of time to individual training, especially initially, but with an age gap, there would be much less risk of friction....  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mark1

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
We have Molly 2 and half and Poppy 17 weeks and they get on fine but even that is hard work. I have just started making the main walk a seperate one as it's hard to do anything constructive training wise when they are together. I think having one older with a puppy is certainly easier than having two pups but you still need to be prepared for a lot of hard work. It's worth it though...when they're asleep cuddled up together  :luv:

Offline Uli

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
2 or 3 years difference seem perfect to me. The younger one can learn from the older one and the older one is not too old to play with the puppy. And they probably will not have to cross the rainbow bridge in quick succession. (Sorry to mention that talking about young dogs.)
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline K1m8

• I LOVE MY DOGGIES
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
i have lola 2 & half and dodger 7months. since getting dodger we think lola has grown up alot! at first she mothered him and now shes like his older sister really. dodger has learnt alot from lola and they get on very well. they play together aswell and are great company for each other. if i have to leave them at home for awhile my mind is at rest knowing how well they get on. it was hard work at first (like it is with any new puppy/dog) but now 7months on its hard to imagine what life was like before we had 2! infact next yr when we move house we will get another 1 or 2 or 3 or 4  :005:

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
We have Molly 2 and half and Poppy 17 weeks and they get on fine but even that is hard work. I have just started making the main walk a seperate one as it's hard to do anything constructive training wise when they are together. I think having one older with a puppy is certainly easier than having two pups but you still need to be prepared for a lot of hard work. It's worth it though...when they're asleep cuddled up together  :luv:

When you say hard work do you mean the amount of time they take up?
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
I have had 2 since November and would never have 1 again! Holly is an 8 year old springer and Charlie is 1. They cuddle up together -Holly doesn't get a choice! And they are company for each other! In fact we may get another later in the year!

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:43 PM »
When you say that Odie doesn't like being left alone when you go on the school run, what do you mean? Also, do you do anything to prepare him for your going, to help him settle?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
Odie doesn't like not being near me (ie not in the same room).  He will poo in his puppy pen every time I leave him (whether it is for 2 mins or 25 on the school run) despite having toys/water/bed/wee pad.  About 30 mins before I put him in it, I play with him, take him outside to toilet (which he always wees and usually poos too).  By then he should be tired (but never is!).  I tell him I won't be long and leave.  A poo always awaits me on my return.   :016: 

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »
Odie doesn't like not being near me (ie not in the same room).  He will poo in his puppy pen every time I leave him (whether it is for 2 mins or 25 on the school run) despite having toys/water/bed/wee pad.  About 30 mins before I put him in it, I play with him, take him outside to toilet (which he always wees and usually poos too).  By then he should be tired (but never is!).  I tell him I won't be long and leave.  A poo always awaits me on my return.   :016: 

Do you only ever put him in his puppy pen when you are going out?

Do you leave a radio or TV on when you leave? (it can comfort them) Or an item of your clothing (worn) that smells of you?

When our doggie was a pup, I'd always sprinkle a few little doggie biscuits on the floor by him just before I left. As he got older, he would actually get excited when he knew we were going out! He'd run to his bed and wait expectantly for the treats!

Whether or not you decide to get another dog, it might be an idea to try and help make Odie feel more secure first.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
Odie doesn't like not being near me (ie not in the same room).  He will poo in his puppy pen every time I leave him (whether it is for 2 mins or 25 on the school run) despite having toys/water/bed/wee pad.  About 30 mins before I put him in it, I play with him, take him outside to toilet (which he always wees and usually poos too).  By then he should be tired (but never is!).  I tell him I won't be long and leave.  A poo always awaits me on my return.   :016:  

separation anxiety is more often than not about being with us and not other dogs - I have seen 1st hand really bad SA even when there were other dogs in the household

At any time an owner should sort out their current dog's behaviour problems before thinking of getting another dog as you can sometimes end up with 2 dogs with problems or the problem can become worse in the 1st dog.

You need to work on this in other ways - practice coming and going - I don't overfuss new dogs that come into my house on foster - they are often quite clingy - I won't let them follow me everywhere and will settle them in the crate 1st before I leave to go to bed or out (ie, let them chillout on their own while I do something else without them). Telling them you won't be long could be telling them anythign - they don't understand

I would start this again in pups or behaviour re possible SA but bear in mind he is also still quite young anyway so soem of problems can be related to that (not every dog is fully housetrained so quickly and it can take up to a year)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »
I do think a lot of people get more than 1 dog for themselves really (if they were honest) not for the other dog - I did becuase I wanted another + I foster because its nice to have more than 2 sometimes
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
I think have at least 2 years between each dog, that way each dog has the time to mature before you introduce another.. I have 4 and Ill be honest the more dogs you have the harder it is to get the individual training in.. something will slide.. so wait a while
 Ive seen folk with 4-5 dogs all under 4 or 5 and its obvious some dogs just arent getting the one to one they need. and believe it or not some dogs do better as only dogs.. you can always come on col meets to meet more spaniels and its good to have dog walking buddies where you can go somewhere safe and let them off lead to rollock around and play.
also Ive no idea of your circumstances but 2 dogs is twice the expense and with the credit crunch and everything  its something to take into consideration.. Im 50 my kids have flown the nest.. Im lucky enough in that I can please myself.. if I was early 20s thinking of starting a family then Id say stick to one dog as when new human kids come along circumstances can change  ie more expense , constraints on your time etc..
 enjoy the dog you have and wait a wee while.. :D