Author Topic: 15 Yo Unspayed Bitch  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:57:52 PM »
Hi all

Has anyone had an old unspayed bitch who can advise me on seasons in an oldie?

I've been fostering two yorkies, one of whom has died as he had a growth covering the opening to his intestine.  I'm left with his 15 yo mother who has not been spayed.

My problem is one of my cockers, Fletch, has not been neutered.  I don't want to neuter him as he has a really good temperament with all dogs I foster (entire and neutered), has no interest in bitches in season (but they have never been in his house) and frankly is not your usual entire dog.

I will keep Cindy the yorkie if I can, but don't really want to spay her at 15 or have Fletch neutered.  Fletch can stay with my parents when Cindy is in season.

I know seasons in dogs don't work like periods in humans and stop, but do seasons change as a bitch gets older?

Any advice anyone can give, I'd be grateful.  My knowledge of unspayed bitches is zilch!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 08:32:36 PM »
Any comments from an owner with an unspayed bith would be usefull

tracee

15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 08:49:52 PM »
we have a 15 yr old unspayed bitch (who is blind +deaf) she dose"nt come into season anymore not since her daughter started to come in to season .
            i dou"nt know if this is the norm or not,  none  of our males ever try to mount her  its the other way round she mounts them i think its when her season would be dew. sorry its not much help
                                    tracee xxxx

Offline Hel

• Site Member
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:23:14 PM »
tracee, that is very helpfull - thanks very much for replying.

Cindy the yorkie is a mounter -  she is trying to mount Fletch by climbing on his back, but she did this to Sam (her Son).  It seems to be something she does??

When did your bitch stop coming into season?  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 10:56:09 PM »
Where we've had older unspayed girls, they tend to carry on having seasons as usual (there being no menopause for canine girls). I can remember with one of our "oldies" (now departed) her seasons became more frequent rather than less frequent and so we had her spayed but I agree this isn't something we would consider for a 15 year old. Sorry, that's not much help really is it?

Jane
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:35:52 PM »

Hi Hel

I can't help you regarding seasons in an older bitch but can tell you what it's like having a dog and bitch in the home during a season - it's a complete nightmare, I had just about the most stressful 4 or 5 days I've ever had in my life.

My original plan was for Jimmy to go to my sister during Misty's first season but unfortunately circumstances changed and this wasn't going to be possible so I booked him in to be neutered. Misty chose this very day to come into season meaning the effects of the op hadn't had time to take effect. I live in an open plan flat so had to build a barricade to keep them apart,  despite this they both still made attempts to get to each other. Misty would waft her backside at Jimmy from the other side of the barricade driving him mental. ( On Champdogs I read  a story of a dog impregnating a bitch through the bars of a crate. :o ) One day I took Jimmy to the park across the road and as soon as I let him off lead he made a run for it back home, dashing across a main road in London rush hour traffic to get to her. :o  At night I had to sleep with Misty on the bed, her puppy pen surrounding us with also another barricade to try to prevent Jimmy getting to the bedroom area - he managed to get round the first line of defence every night but never past the puppy pen luckily.

Like Fletch, Jimmy had never shown that much interest in bitches in season prior to this - he'd have a good sniff but wasn't obsessively persistent in the way I've seen some other dogs behave. Being in such close proximity to Misty was a completely different matter though.

I'd definitely ensure that plans are in place for Fletch to stay at your parents' house during the season. Apologies for the mammoth essay but hopefully it will be of some help in your considerations. :)    

tracee

15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 08:15:44 PM »
hi hel
          amber stopped when mena had her first season at 2yrs old
                       tracee xxxx
        which was 3-4 yrs ago

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 09:26:13 PM »
As far as I'm aware they continue to have seasons. We had a 15yr old poodle and she still had regular seasons throughout her life. The only bitch we had that seemed to just have seasons until she was about 8yrs got mammary cancer at 10, so if I ever have another bitch who stops her seasons I will be straight down to the vets for a check up.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

tracee

15 Yo Unspayed Bitch
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 10:09:21 PM »
we went to the vet with amber to get her checked they took bloods they also did a scan checked her over ,they said she is very healthy (apart from her hearing and eyes ) and not to worry, just take her for regular check-ups  which we do for all our animals
                                    tracee xxxxxx