Author Topic: Cockers with other Spaniels  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Cockers with other Spaniels
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
Just an enquiry really. Has anyone ever kept cockers and springers together? My OH is adamant he wants to rescue a springer when Berti goes but he has heard they can be funny with other breeds of dogs. I've not looked into it so don't know if this is 100%.

I just wondered if anyone here has experience of cockers and springers living together?
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline hanandhen

Re: Cockers with other Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
There's a guy on the shoot I go to that has a cocker and a springer that work together beautifully, and Henry lurves his little floozy springer girlfriend on the shoot. The only springer that ever seems to have issues with him belongs to my boss, but he was an RSPCA cruelty case (his former owner was prosecuted) so it's understandable that the poor lad has a few little quirks. I'd happily have one :blink:

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »
Hiya....I have a cocker, springer combo and I think its great  :luv: :luv:

Whilst they are totally different dogs in many ways (((gets ready for the guns))) one has been alot more easier to train than the other  ph34r they have a similar love of active life and compliment each other really well.  :luv:

As the OH used to shoot we know alot of peeps with springers and other breed, multi dog households and I don't think they are any more troublesome than any other breed but as with all dogs you will always get exceptions to the rule  ;)

For us its been the perfect combo and one that I wouldn't hesitate to repeat in the future  :luv:

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Our Trainer has about 10 Springers, 6 Cockers and 2 Labs....all living together fine.

Friend along the road has a Springer and a Cocker.....Police Dog Handler up the road has a Springer and a Cocker too.

Pretty sure it's not a Springer thing to be grumpy ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
My mam had the most gorgeous, gentle springer girl (rescue) who got on with any dog (she had lots of 'boyfriends' on her daily walks :005:).  I'd definately have a springer with Odie but I suppose any 2 dog combo could, potentially, have some kinks to iron out!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
Thanks for that. It might be more of a cocker, cocker, springer mix though  :005:

Of course, he may well be tempted by a working cocker; he's fallen for Helen's Jarvis.  ;)

Free Cake!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
Our Trainer has about 10 Springers, 6 Cockers and 2 Labs....all living together fine.

The first thing I thought when I read this was 'blimey, all those dirty paws & legs to wipe'!

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »

The first thing I thought when I read this was 'blimey, all those dirty paws & legs to wipe'!

All living in kennels with underfloor heating.....jammy eh!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a springer that wasn't fine with other dogs  :-\. My friend has one as she is the soppiest springiest girl  :luv: :luv:.

Millie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
Thanks for that. It might be more of a cocker, cocker, springer mix though  :005:

Of course, he may well be tempted by a working cocker; he's fallen for Helen's Jarvis.  ;)

...who often gets mistaken for a springer  :lol2:

I think it depends entirely on the dog - I have met a lot of very nervy springers and we encounter 2 boys (different owners) that are very fear aggressive  but I don't think this is indicative of the breed at all - I've also met lots of springers who are super friendly and lovely dogs.

Size is like working cockers - you get small ones, medium ones, and massive ones. My friend has one that is the size of a working lab and a dog walker I see has a teensy springer  :luv:

...and of course there's the show strain or working strain dilemma there too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
Bonnie Boos best mates are Wells the springer and Reg the cocker and those two get on so well together.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »
My Stepdad has always kept working Springers, we've never really had a problem with any of them with other dogs, a couple of them don't appreciate rude dogs getting in their faces but neither do my dogs. All the ones we've had (which is quite a few over the years) have had great temperaments and get on well with my dogs when they're together...

Rodaidh's breeder also keeps and trains Springers, Labs and Cockers and Caoimhe's trainer has a couple of trialling Springers as well as his Cockers.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »

I think it depends entirely on the dog - I have met a lot of very nervy springers and we encounter 2 boys (different owners) that are very fear aggressive  but I don't think this is indicative of the breed at all - I've also met lots of springers who are super friendly and lovely dogs.

Size is like working cockers - you get small ones, medium ones, and massive ones. My friend has one that is the size of a working lab and a dog walker I see has a teensy springer  :luv:

...and of course there's the show strain or working strain dilemma there too  ;)

It's funny you should say that, we were at the vets just before Christmas and we met a lady with a dog that we thought was a working cocker, ends up it was a springer but she was really tiny, I was quite shocked when she told us it was a springer as I had never seen one that size before.

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »

I don't know but as he works where there are working cockers, he may try to go for workers, though I know he's quite fond of the liver and white show type.

Strangely, quite a number of people question if Tali is a springer puppy because of the tail.

I think he needs to e really sure though coz he's going from a trouble free, apart from the lungworm, bitzer, to a purebred.

Free Cake!

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »
My ex's springer has lived with my now family of 3 cocker girls very happily. Paddy is a gentle laid back springer with the most amazing temperment, he is a gentle giant. I think he loves the attention from my 3 girls  :lol2:

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.