Author Topic: 1 cocker or 2 ?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
1 cocker or 2 ?
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
I have a 3.5 month old Cocker Diesel
I was wondering for the owners who own more then 1 cocker, was it easier with 1 or did you find it easier with 2 of them as they have each other?
I would love another one but not sure if it means double the trouble :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline maddy74

Re: 1 cocker or 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
Our pup is 7 and half months and im really considering having another once Willow is out of puppy hood, OH has different ideas but one day i think I will just come home with one :-) Will keep my eye on this thread for other views  :005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
I would wait untill the first dog is about 2 years old and stabilized, so the first one can help raising the second, and they can be a real help.
But you have to realize that it's two times as messy in your house, you have to comb and groom 2 dogs, which is very time consuming. Two dogs aren't as easy to take with to places.
They also learn the naughty and nasty things from each other, like barking or separation anxiety.
Don't think it will be allright and they will sleep together in one bed,  it can go really wrong between two dogs (talking with experience)

But the most important; you've got two dogs to love en kuddle get nice walks with en enjoy there joy. I love to have two dogs.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
Charlie is 19 months old and we get Dexter end of this month. I wanted another cocker very soon after getting Charlie, but wanted to wait until he had grown up a bit and we were sure that a 2nd dog would be the right thing to do.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Yeah i am thinking of waiting till Diesel is older and responsible and not a naughty pup so that if i happened to get a second one (have to sneak one home as i think the OH would freak) then at least the new pup has a good example to follow - At the moment i think Diesel would just turn them into his partner in crime hehe
My name is Diesel

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
My boys have only a few months between them.  It was a big mistake on my part to let my heart rule my head.

I absolutely love them dearly, and they are growing into good boys now at 2 and a half, and nearly three....................BUT training has been a nightmare.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do........................they are just gorgeous, and I could just keep adding and adding if my OH didn't keep a firm control of me... :005: :005:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
Yeah defo think that i should wait til Diesel is out of Naughty puppy stage and controlled before i get him a partner in crime :)
Its so difficult and id love him to have a little friend to play with but i think its best i have Diesel to help with showing a new puppy how to beheave and not show him all the bad things he does lol :)
My name is Diesel

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
I have 2 pups now 6 months old phoebe is only 1 week older than MIA and yes it's been hard work  >:(, but when I see how well they play together etc it seems all worth while.  However when we got Pebbles, Poppy was already 14 months old so pebbles did what poppy did and she was housetrained in no time at all. But when we lost poppy, pebbles was so depressed without her it broke my heart to see how sad she was, we just couldn't console her. So what I'am trying to say is to me personally having gone through that with my darling pebbles,is I don't think it matters what age they are it's how you bring them up :luv: :luv:. Not everybody will agree with me, but both my parents and sister had two dogs together from the same litters and they were fine as well  :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline grracee

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
I got Toby when Charlie was about 15 months old, obviously it took a lot of work at the start but then this was mainly because Toby was a pup and had to settle into his new home, toilet training etc. but Toby is coming up to 4 months now and it's all starting to calm down abit and they are very well settled into their routine and get on really well together. I wouldn't have it any other way, all the hard work is definitely worth while :luv:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
My Ebony was just 2 when we brought Gypsy home at 8 weeks old......Ebony has the nicest nature, is placid, sociable and extremely well trained (passed her gold KCGC award, does agility, totally loyal  etc etc) so i was expecting her to love the new pup as much as we did.......oh no!!!!

For the first two weeks ebony wouldnt even be in the same room as the pup, growled at her and on one occasion snapped at her....i was distraught, even posted stuff on here for help, and was in regular contact with the breeder and had even talked about returning gypsy if after a month it still wasnt working.

I was lucky though as after 2 weeks Ebony suddenly started to play with gypsy and they are now inseperable, it was easy as i had to keep them seperate for most of the time at first and very gently encourage a friendship.

i think the point im trying to make is that however good, easy, obedient etc the first dog is, you may still run into problems which will cause you worry, and a new puppy may not just "slot in".

Gypsy is now 18 weeks and like i said they are now best of buddies, and i absolutely love having two dogs (would even love to add a third).....so if you have the time, patience and room to seperate them periodically for a while then go for it  ;)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
I don't want to put a dampner on things, but having 2 dogs IS twice the work, no matter what some people might say.   Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't change having two, but do not be under any illusion that if you have one it's no different, it is  ;)   

I wouldn't even be considering getting another dog until your dog is at a minimum 2.

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
I have 2 pups now 6 months old phoebe is only 1 week older than MIA and yes it's been hard work  >:(, but when I see how well they play together etc it seems all worth while.  However when we got Pebbles, Poppy was already 14 months old so pebbles did what poppy did and she was housetrained in no time at all. But when we lost poppy, pebbles was so depressed without her it broke my heart to see how sad she was, we just couldn't console her. So what I'am trying to say is to me personally having gone through that with my darling pebbles,is I don't think it matters what age they are it's how you bring them up :luv: :luv:. Not everybody will agree with me, but both my parents and sister had two dogs together from the same litters and they were fine as well  :luv: :luv: x x x

There are always exceptions to the rules.... and offcourse it won't go wrong just because you have two dogs of the same age, but it's easier and less hard work to have approximately 2 years between the two dogs, especially for firstime dogowners.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
We went for no. 2 when Annie was two  :blink:  I was worried that I could never love no. 2 as much as I do Annie, but if anything I love Jeff more  :luv: (In case you're wondering, OH definitely loves Annie more, so she doesn't lose out  ;))

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
We went for no. 2 when Annie was two  :blink:  I was worried that I could never love no. 2 as much as I do Annie, but if anything I love Jeff more  :luv: (In case you're wondering, OH definitely loves Annie more, so she doesn't lose out  ;))

You know where to post Annie Liz....... ;)   Odie lurves her :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »
I have no personal experience but this might be of some use  ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2017.0
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.