Author Topic: 1 cocker or 2 ?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: 1 cocker or 2 ?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
We went for no. 2 when Annie was two  :blink:  I was worried that I could never love no. 2 as much as I do Annie, but if anything I love Jeff more  :luv: (In case you're wondering, OH definitely loves Annie more, so she doesn't lose out  ;))

You know where to post Annie Liz....... ;)   Odie lurves her :luv:

Sadly for Odie, now she's had her op it'll be forever unrequieted :012:

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »
If I get my way we'll get a second in about 6 months (rest of the family aren't aware of this yet ;)) when Bella will be just over 2. Bella loves other dogs, and I hope (fingers crossed) that she'll enjoy having another dog around. 

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
Well I have two, but only one is a cocker - I got Nerys at 12 months old when Will was heading for 11 years.  He accepted her really well despite not being that dog friendly - but there are one or two rules.  If both dogs are in the room, only Will is allowed to sleep on Mum's knee, and if I walk them separately, Will has to go first.  These are Will's rules and Nerys obeys them without question  :005:  I love having two dogs, but of course it is more expensive and time consuming, particularly as I walk them separately most days due to the difference in their energy levels and exercise needs.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »
We brought Monty home as an 8 week old Pup when Belle was exactly 12 mths old. Belle was a good Pup a bit of chewing , a bit of puppy biting but that was it really , a pleasure to own. Belle did have her nose put out she became a little quiet and more clingy than usual if thats at all possible  :lol2: But she was fine with Monty, Monty too was a really good pup, no real puppy biting but liked a good chew, only really stopped a few mths ago ( he is know 18 mths) They got a long famously after about a week and now live together in harmony, Belle is the boss and Monty never forgets it :lol2:
BUT I have been incredibly lucky and its not usually as straight forward. As for training I never trained them seperately Monty picked it all up from Belle when she was doing what she was told she got treats , Monty did as he was told so he got treats. But I know a lot get trouble trying to train no 2 . But there are downsides, I find taking 2 out to places (village fairs etc) hard work whereas one is a pleasure, so we don't tend to take them so much on social occasions whereas we would if we just had one. There is twice the expense, double insurance, food bills and grooming costs, you also have to groom 2 dogs which can be time consuming and instead of one doing the wall of death you have 2 :005:
I love having 2 dogs and I hope they enjoy having each other too but I am well aware that I have been vey lucky and there are lots who havent been so fortunate . We have had a fair few COLers having to rehome the second dog as despite their very best efforts things just couldn't work out.
IMO 12 mths was a good time to introduce the 2nd pup as Belle was not too set in her ways and was very happy to play with a boistrous pup, but she had enough maturity to sort him out when he stepped over the line. Sorry for the long post , enjoy your pup for now, plenty of time yet before you will be ready for another ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Amanda68

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
My Diesel is 17 months old and I really want another! OH says no, one's enough  >:(
I agree about leaving it til he's about 2, so have a few months to try and change his mind!  ;)

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
Yeah i am thinking of waiting till Diesel is older and responsible and not a naughty pup so that if i happened to get a second one (have to sneak one home as i think the OH would freak) then at least the new pup has a good example to follow - At the moment i think Diesel would just turn them into his partner in crime hehe

Leave it until you are absolutely sure you know your cocker...then a little longer.

I used to think I should have got one when Harvey was three or four, but then again...he is absolutely assured as to his love and position in this house at 6 so there are no jealousy issues and he is totally laid back with the young girl and there is no fighting for a place. It makes it so much easier!

(apart from the whole being in season - you have no idea how confusing it is when you have a beautiful young bitch desperate to make love to you constantly and you have no idea how to or desire to do it unless you are Harvey right now!)

Offline Evadee

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »
Just found out this morning that Tia's mother is pregnant again (with the same father), litter due mid Sept ready mid Nov.  This is the second and last litter she will have, I believe.

In a real dilemma!  Many reasons not to have another one, double walks, double grooming, double bills etc etc   All the mess and puppy training again!

Tia would be 14.5 months mid November.  We are really happy with her behaviour apart from a little bit of cat chasing (our own cats) which is getting better all the time.

Would be nice for her to have a bit of company....

Oh lordy!

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
We got Ollie when Skye our German Shepherd was 4, Ollie is nearly 13 months now,  we accidently added Jess 4 months ago,  She is coming up 14 months. We would have got Jess if she had been anything like Ollie, (he could be really hard work!) and definatley wouldn't have got another puppy!  She was an accident  :005: , we visited Ollies breeder and met Jess,  she had said she was thinking of selling her as she was too small for trialing (the breeder trains and works all her 20+ dogs) as Jess had a lovely calm nature we said we'd like her.  She was 10 months when she came to us and Ollie was 9 months.

What Im trying to say is,  we never intentionally went out to find another pup, we were going to leave it until Ollie was at least 2 before getting another, we have been very lucky with Jess joining us in that she already have a really good level of obedience, was a very focused little dog and didnt bounce off the walls, we were also fortunate that we did alot of training with Ollie before we got Jess (and still do seperate training every day with each dog).  I can see how potentially, if we had got them at the same time it would have been a nightmare and neither dog would have reached their full potential.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
I've had 2 Cockers twice.

My first Cocker Josh was 22 months old when new puppy Sam arrived. Josh was very tolerant with Sam and they got on reasonably well right from the first day, but they never became best buddies. They never shared a bed and rarely played with each other, although Sam was playful his whole life and played with other dogs a lot. They had the occasional glare and growl at each other and a very occasional 10 second "fight", but never anything serious, handbags really.

William was 5 years old when I got Louis 2 years ago. William is extremely tolerant of other dogs but he didn't like the little intruder that came to stay and I had real regrets for a long time, thinking that I'd ruined William's life by getting a second dog. William was used to lots of attention and time from me because I'm retired and most of the time there's just me at home because OH works abroad, so Wills really was my companion at home and outside.

William now tolerates Louis but they will never be best friends and William is generally a bit less relaxed than he used to be in the house, which still makes me feel guilty :'(

So while you can hope that 2 will get on really well and become best friends there is no guarantee. I'm just grateful that mine have tolerated each other and that I've never had to contemplate re-homing one.

Offline wendyt

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 04:07:48 PM »
I brought Indy home at 8 weeks when Murphy was 14 months old. For us it has been the best thing as Murphy is quite an anxious dog, and Indy is quite a confident pup but not overly so.

Indy has not picked up any of Murph's insecurities and if anything Murph is more confident since we got Indy. They are good friends and will sleep together and play fight with each other, neither is jealous of the other and will share their toys. I think I've been really lucky. :D

Offline san

• Even and me
    • san's website
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:39 PM »
I think its easier with 2(or 3, at home :005:) dogs...but if I was you ,I would wait ,

1/to my mind, it's very difficult to educate two little dogs,
2/2 dogs with the same age....they will be old together too :'(
3/ you can benefit of each one , and each age
San, Arwen ,Even and Ilfirīn, from Brittany

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »
I am finding this thread really interesting. I have Roxy who is 14 months old and I am thinking about getting another. Roxy hasn't been spayed yet - I am planning that for September so I will wait until she is over the op before getting a pup but she will be about 16 months then. Part of the reason i want another is company and a play pal for her. She is a working cocker (she doesn't work - she is just a pet who gets a lot of exercise and enjoys her flyball). Does anyone have any experience of 2 working cockers. Obviously a lot of the grooming problems don't apply to them - Roxy is very smooth haired.

I know what you mean about worrying about not loving the pup as much as Roxy is loved so much I can't imagine feeling the same about another - but I also thought that about my kids  ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline wendyt

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
Jan D
Murphy and Indy are working cockers. As I said in my previous post I think I've been lucky with these 2 as they get along so well, even their training has been easier than I thought as the little fella sits back and watches Murphy in action and picks it up very quickly. Best decision I've made :D

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »
I walk them separately most days due to the difference in their energy levels and exercise needs.

Dunno, if this helps but in cool days I take the two girls out at the same time and when Lucy has had enough she walks back to the car. I then put her in the back with her vet bed and a treat and then continue with Poppy. When we get back Lucy is invariably in the land of nod.

Today, it was too warm for Lucy to stay in car but after a while she just finds a spot to lye in and I continue on walk with Poppy. I have to say though that Lucy is never out of sight, is safe and she always keeps her eye on us anyway. With Markies in my pocket she forgets how lazy she is and will come no probs on a recall.

Offline Evadee

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 07:30:30 AM »
Just found out this morning that Tia's mother is pregnant again (with the same father), litter due mid Sept ready mid Nov.  This is the second and last litter she will have, I believe.

In a real dilemma!  Many reasons not to have another one, double walks, double grooming, double bills etc etc   All the mess and puppy training again!

Tia would be 14.5 months mid November.  We are really happy with her behaviour apart from a little bit of cat chasing (our own cats) which is getting better all the time.

Would be nice for her to have a bit of company....
Oh lordy!

Well, I've realised the last couple of days that I don't actually want another one at the moment and neither does the OH.  We both agree that if our lives were slightly different it would be a no brainer, but we both work and we have been so lucky with Tia she has no real behaviour issues and why rock the boat?

I've been asking myself (particularly 1st thing in the morning between 6-7am) do I really want to get up earlier, have a puppy at this exact moment in time, clear up all the mess, risk upsetting Tia or her behaviour going backwards?  Can honestly say no to all of this so decision made.

Maybe later on if our lifestyle changes a bit or we would even consider rescuing an older dog if things change.