Author Topic: 1 cocker or 2 ?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: 1 cocker or 2 ?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
Just found out this morning that Tia's mother is pregnant again (with the same father), litter due mid Sept ready mid Nov.  This is the second and last litter she will have, I believe.

In a real dilemma!  Many reasons not to have another one, double walks, double grooming, double bills etc etc   All the mess and puppy training again!

Tia would be 14.5 months mid November.  We are really happy with her behaviour apart from a little bit of cat chasing (our own cats) which is getting better all the time.

Would be nice for her to have a bit of company....
Oh lordy!

Well, I've realised the last couple of days that I don't actually want another one at the moment and neither does the OH.  We both agree that if our lives were slightly different it would be a no brainer, but we both work and we have been so lucky with Tia she has no real behaviour issues and why rock the boat?

I've been asking myself (particularly 1st thing in the morning between 6-7am) do I really want to get up earlier, have a puppy at this exact moment in time, clear up all the mess, risk upsetting Tia or her behaviour going backwards?  Can honestly say no to all of this so decision made.

Maybe later on if our lifestyle changes a bit or we would even consider rescuing an older dog if things change.

Well done in not letting your heart rule your head, sounds like you have made the right decision for yourselves ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »
I am finding this thread really interesting. I have Roxy who is 14 months old and I am thinking about getting another. Roxy hasn't been spayed yet - I am planning that for September so I will wait until she is over the op before getting a pup but she will be about 16 months then. Part of the reason i want another is company and a play pal for her. She is a working cocker (she doesn't work - she is just a pet who gets a lot of exercise and enjoys her flyball). Does anyone have any experience of 2 working cockers. Obviously a lot of the grooming problems don't apply to them - Roxy is very smooth haired.

I know what you mean about worrying about not loving the pup as much as Roxy is loved so much I can't imagine feeling the same about another - but I also thought that about my kids  ;)

I've got 3 dogs, a 5 year old GSD and 2 working cockers,  Very close in age, only a month apart,  however I only got Jess in April at 10 months while Ollie was 9 months.  Again I've been really lucky, they both have brilliant temptrements.  I train them in Agility,  they love it and are showing lots of primise! They can get a bit much when playing in the house, but as Roxy will be over a year older than your pup she hopefully will have mellowed a little like how mine have in the last few months. Just be sure your happy with Roxy's level of obediance, and still do 1-2-1 with them both.  Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge!

Offline garygttdi

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
I had two puppies together it was a nightmare raising them !!!!!!

However I would not have swapped one minute of it ever, hope that helps
 :lol:

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
Garygttdi - What kind of nightmares did you have  :005:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11