Author Topic: What do you do when.......  (Read 1406 times)

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
What do you do when.......
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
You come home to find a poop on the floor? Not sure how to tell Darcey off really I've cleaned it up and am just not cuddling her or talking to her. I'm not into the whole rub their nose in it type of thing.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: What do you do when.......
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
You can't. They can't relate why they are being told off to something that happened earlier. It would just confuse her, so pointless and not fair. You can do nothing except clean up and try to work out why she had an accident

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
We popped out for 5 mins and came home to a still warm poo.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
Unless you catch her doing it she will not understand why she is being told off

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
Agree - do nothing.  Just clean it up with no fuss ;)  No point ignoring her either as she is unlikely to understand why she is being punished unless you catch her in the act  :-\

We popped out for 5 mins and came home to a still warm poo.
Did she have a good chance to toilet before you popped out?  Maybe she just "had to go" :dunno:  No big deal, it sometimes happens - just make sure you take her out frequently and praise her extra hard when she performs outside  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
Agree unless you catch her doing it she has no comprehension.

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
Yea I know, I came in and she didn't run to greet us as normal and was acting sheepish then I noticed a turd by my foot and the smell! She'd not long been out and usually tells us if she needs to go. I wonder if a big firework went off while we were out and she got scared with no one being there.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
I wonder if a big firework went off while we were out and she got scared with no one being there.
Quite possible - but just accept you may never know the truth  :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »
I wonder if a big firework went off while we were out and she got scared with no one being there.

Yup last night she peed so tonight a poop lol
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »

Yup last night she peed so tonight a poop lol

Well, be prepared for a pile of vomit tomorrow then  :shades: :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
Yea I know, I came in and she didn't run to greet us as normal and was acting sheepish then I noticed a turd by my foot and the smell! She'd not long been out and usually tells us if she needs to go. I wonder if a big firework went off while we were out and she got scared with no one being there.

If she's acting sheepish then I would say at some point she's been reprimanded after she's had an accident. For a while when I first had Millie she had a few bouts of illness and it used to break my heart that she thought I'd tell her off  :'( :'(.

Millie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »
without getting a baby wipe, with 3 dogs, I never know who's responsible  :dunno: :rofl1:

TBH when that happens, I usually feel quite guilty & end up apologising to the girls for not being there when they needed to go out - I can't really tell them off for needing to do a normal bodily function - not having access to an appropriate area is my fault if I'm not there?
Having said that, I do know my girls pretty well & accidents are never done deliberately or through laziness - there's usually a reason  ;)   
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

If she's acting sheepish then I would say at some point she's been reprimanded after she's had an accident. For a while when I first had Millie she had a few bouts of illness and it used to break my heart that she thought I'd tell her off  :'( :'(.

She was hit/kicked/shouted at by the husband of the woman we got her off we didn't know this at the time it wasn't until she cowered when the OH went to stroke her that we knew something was wrong. He had to get on the floor and cuddle her alot till she knew he'd never hurt her.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

She was hit/kicked/shouted at by the husband of the woman we got her off we didn't know this at the time it wasn't until she cowered when the OH went to stroke her that we knew something was wrong. He had to get on the floor and cuddle her alot till she knew he'd never hurt her.

Aw bless her  :'( :'( :'(. When I went to see Millie for the first time the husband proudly showed me how he only had to raise his hand in the air to make her cower 'you don't even have to hit her any more'  :o :'( :'(.

Millie

Offline Flickabella1

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
That last post is sooo sad..... Why do such horrible idiots get dogs?  >:D