Author Topic: Standard food Vrs Senior food.  (Read 1926 times)

Offline ziglu

Standard food Vrs Senior food.
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
Hi all, my orange roan cocker is seven and half years with no health problems and she seems as fit and boisterous as she was at one year old. My question is would there be any advantage by changing her food to senior from standard adult. The reason I ask is that she has been on Wainwrights variety tray food from day one and on the box it states that it is for adult 1-7 years and another box it has 7 +. She is not overweight and I don't want her to miss out on anything unnecessarily that she is getting at the moment with the 1-7

Online MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Standard food Vrs Senior food.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
I would keep her on what she already has. I have never changed my dogs food to suit a age
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
Neither have I. 

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
Marketing  .
Not as bad as Royal canin and its million 'breed specific' ploy.   Which is just kibble sizing.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:31:20 PM »
My two are raw fed, which is obviously different to being fed kibble or wet processed food. But I don't change diet as they grow older. My 13 years 8 months old William is still fed the same as he was when younger and thrives on it.

It used to be thought that older dogs needed a lower protein diet to help their aging kidneys, in the belief that less protein would put less strain on the kidneys. However, in recent years that attitude has begun to change, with the realisation that older dogs may actually need more protein because their system may not process it quite as well, but that it needs to be good quality protein that can be easily processed by the body.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
Mine are all fed Kibble a 60/40 mix  manufacture recommends for all ages including puppies mine are

7months, 4 years, 8 years & 14 years all doing fine so if yours is ok on the food you feed now I would not change to senior
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack