Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline debbiedaywalker

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
Please don't feel that you have failed Jenson, quite the opposite you have worked very hard with him. Don't beat yourself up, you are doing what is best for him and your Son, but I know that knowing that will not make this any easier. I think that you are a lovely mummy  :bigarmhug:  :bigarmhug:

Offline PopPops

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had to rehome a beloved pet (not a cocker) through a rehoming charity specific to the breed some years ago having tried everything I could to make it work, and I know what you mean about feeling like you've failed even though you know realistically you could do nothing more. I still miss him, but within a few days it became very apparent his new home was a much better fit for him and he was a whole lot happier and more successful there. They didn't do anything 'better' than me, they just were in different circumstances that were a better fit to what he needed, and while devastating for me, he's had a happier life because of it.

hugs to you, and all respect for all you've done and are doing for him {}
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Totally agree with everyone else. You have done absolutely everything possible to make things work for you and Jenson but some things are just not meant to be. You are doing absolutely the best thing to give you, your son and of course Jenson the best possible life. Sometimes the right decisions are the hardest ones to make and it takes a strong, brave person to go ahead with something that breaks their heart. I know it can't have been easy so massive  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you.

Have you thought of contacting his breeder? Sometimes they will take back a dog that needs to be rehomed.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
Just to echo what others have said, you have tried your best. You haven't failed Jenson, you have just been very unlucky.

I wish you lots of luck in your search for a good home for him.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
We went through similar thing with our Grandchildren & our dog Amber although its different for us because they don't live with us , they go home at the end of the day. When they were crawling ! Even though  Amber was behind a stair gate she was very "on edge" & when they started walking Amber didn't get any better, we got to the stage where we had to put the grandchildren first but we tried everything to solve the situation.we decided to ease Amber's anxiety by keeping her out of sight of the children as much as we could so she relaxed more when I look after them, the children are now three years old & Amber will still bark at them but not so alarmingly , she now accepts them coming up the the stair gate in the kitchen & they give her treats when I am watching over them, when my husband is in the room with us all Amber is allowed to come in & lay down next to him where she will just lay & watch them, I still don't trust her fully but now that Amber is three & a half she definitely isn't so on edge with the children, I do feel for you because of similar experience s , for us I am so pleased we still have Amber, but as I said its easier for us as the children don't actually live here full time , I wish you well x

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
You would never have forgiven yourself if your son received a serious bite. Try not to feel bad, you have tried and people rehome dogs with far less problems than yours.
I would do the same as you, you have to put your children first.  :bigarmhug:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »
Gosh i didn't realise that rescue centres would take that view. I'm not saying re homing is right or wrong and it sounds like you've made a decision now, but won't some rescues help to find a new home while the dog stays with it's current  owners? Sending you every good wish and really hope it all works out in the end x

Actually not all have that approach (as I have placed some very badly behaved cockers in the past with some good rescues) but in an age when there are so many well behaved dogs needing homes desparately am afraid a lot of those rescues can't take them on at all anymore as they're snowed under
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!