Author Topic: Stealth Weeing - Help needed  (Read 2398 times)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Stealth Weeing - Help needed
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
Sorry to but in on this thread, but I'm having similar problems. I do have a crate and he goes in at bedtime and when I need to pop out, but i brought a large crate so he doesn't out grow it and use a puppy pads. If I leave out the puppy pad will he stop doing his business or is the crate to big to class that as his bed? (He has a bed and cushion inside the crate also)  :003:

You really need a small one just big enough for the bed, I have 2 one in the bedroom which is just for sleeping and one in the hall downstairs that is big enough for 2 Dobermans to sleep in this is the day crate when we are going out.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
Sorry to hear your woes. Good luck with the crate. I Hope it helps. I have never used a crate so can't advise but I just wanted to say I know how you are feeling and send you a  :bigarmhug:. Archie was a NIGHTMARE to toilet train. He had a urine infection at 8 weeks and was literally going every 10 minutes all over the house. He never showed any signs of wanting to go and I remember pulling my hair out on many occasions! It seemed to take forever but he did get there in the end.
It sounds like you have been trying lots of different things but I think you need to just take a deep breath and start again with a firm plan of action. Stick with your chosen method (crates seem to work for lots of people) and be totally consistent. Paper can confuse some pups as it makes it seem that it's Ok to go inside sometimes but not others. I used the cue word method but the one thing I found that really helped was actually teaching Archie the word "outside". The minute he stepped out I said the word and praised and treated him. Once he had learned that word, I started to combine it with his cue word for toilet training. If I caught him going in the house, I said "ah ah, outside". He seemed to click literally overnight so don't worry. You WILL get there. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Hope the crating goes well tonight - it might not work immediately, but stick at it!  One thing - I couldn't find a mention of whether you are using a cue word for toileting.  You probably are as you aren't a new puppy parent, but if not then start introducing one.  We use 'hurry up', and said it every time he performed - he soon got the message and now will mostly wee to order.  We never got round to using one for pooing as he was and still is very regular, so we knew when he was likely to go.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
I have had maisie for one week tomorrow, for the first 2 nights she cried in her crate for about 30 mins but then stopped.  she was getting me up 2 times in the night for a toilet but the last couple of nights only once so it looks like its working.  I am pretty much worn out but its looking good, only had 3 accidents and that was in the daytime, I decided not to use paper or pads as im hoping she will be toilet trained faster.  she is happy at home playing and eating well, including the garden which is a nightmare.  my only real issue is her nervousness when I carry her out and about, each day I have taken her out just for a short time, its like she isn't too bad until a stranger approaches then she shakes, hope it will improve in time.  good luck.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
there is some great advice, hints and tips on crate training here:

http://www.only-dog-cages.co.uk/Store/Tab.aspx?tabid=4  these are really good quality crates, too or at least were, 2 years ago when I purchased three from them!

- they seem to have a problem with the site at the moment but the text is still there, honest!  If you scroll down to the middle of the page and start highlighting the text you can read it....I followed this with Pearl and used a small crate in the bedroom at night, a slightly larger one in the kitchen during the day - except for the odd accident when I didn't read her signals quickly enough, I'd say she was house trained by week 15.

Good luck

Jayne
x

Offline JoJo1974

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
I now have the crate and put him in it whilst we had dinner (his usual time to sneak off to go) and he was absolutely fine, jest went to sleep.

I am trying cue words but the problem is he never ever goes outside so I don,t get a chance to use it. I say it when we go outside but have never had the opportunity to say it whilst he is performing.

At least I am now able to keep a hawk eye on him even when I'm busy. I'm not expecting a solution overnight but already feeling more positive, although tired.

Offline JoJo1974

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
omg omg omg he has just weed in the garden. I never in my life thought I would be so happy seeing a dog doing its business.  I may have praised him too much but I couldn't help it.  :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
That's brilliant.  :clapping: onward and upward.  :D

Offline JoJo1974

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
It never a pays to get so excited. While I wrote my announcement on here he proceeded to poo in the kitchen. Lol one step forward

Offline Juno

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
Brilliant!  Keep us posted!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
Big step forward though!

Does he not go at all on a walk?

Millie

Offline JoJo1974

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »
Ozzi Update

I put him in his crate last night (in our bedroom) ready for another sleepless night.  Not a peep out of him all night.  He didn't bark, whine or whimper and went right through till 6 am. I even had to wake him up.  Straight down to the garden and success! Two wees. However still won't poo outside but I know that will take some time. I said the word wee wee whilst he went and then give him praise and a treat. He seems to have got the knack really quickly Although he had a wee in the house as well (my fault as I got distracted and forgot to watch him) and then immediately came over for a treat. He seemed confused as to why he didn't get one.  Seems food is the way forward.

I wish I had his staying power.   

At least we are on the right path now.

As for going to the toilet on walks.  Nope he won't do a thing.

Very big thank you to Juno.

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »
Great start - and so glad you had a good night!  Crates are brilliant when used in the right way.  Just remember never to use it as punishment - it should always be a safe and happy place that he likes to be.

With the pooing, are you bringing him straight in after his wee?  Lottie is regular as clockwork now (pretty much 07:00, 13:00, 19:00) so I can expect it now, but when she was first home, I used to let her have her wee and then stay with her outside for another 10-15 minutes as there can be a ten minute or so delay after they have had their wee.  Eating can stimulate it as well, so take him out after his meals and stay with him for 10-15 minutes - it might have the desired effect.

It can feel like you are spending your life in the garden, but it gets better very quickly!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
Does he got to the loo when out on a walk - another thing to try as well as the crate is to take him for a small walk before bedtime, just around the block or to the end of the street until he goes to the loo, then to  bed.  Good luck
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Our command words are wee and poop. I have always stood with our dogs in the garden and not allowed them in untill we have had the performance. ( admit it works quicker when it is raining). god knows what the neighbours think of me at 11 pm repeating "  come on wees and poops, no, stop sniffing, go and POOP" :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----