Author Topic: KC papers never came...  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Nathanjohn8

KC papers never came...
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if this has been covered before!

In October last year, I brought my very first dog, a golden cocker spaniel named Toby. When we picked him up, the breeder said his papers would follow......

In May we realised we still didn't have his papers. Admittedly we left it a long time but as we were over the moon with our perfect pup and didnt want to breed him it wasn't an issue! So we contacted the breeder who apologised and said he still needed to register the litter!!? A few weeks later I got a text saying he had sent everything off to the KC.

There has been some communications over the past few months, but only after I ask for an update.

Toby turned 1 yesterday. So I text the breeder and he said he's still waiting to hear back from the KC.

I've contacted the KC, they couldn't care less. They've told me to contact citizens advice bureau!?  >:(

I am just shocked that the breeder would risk his livelihood as this is what he does for a living and I am about to publicly name and shame.  :005:

Any thoughts/ideas? I'm genuinely not too fussed about the papers, but I paid for a KC registered pup and that's what I should have!  ;)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: KC papers never came...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »
Trading Standards, get in touch with them, have you still got the ad where the pup was first advertised?  If so, the breeder is breaking the law if he's not stuck to the two rules....was the breeder a licensed breeder?  if so report him to his local council too.

1.   That the pup was his to sell
2.   That the pup was sold as described ie. KC registered

Offline Nathanjohn8

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
Thanks for quick reply,

We didn't keep the advert, but it was from pets4homes so I'm guessing they might.

As Toby has now turned one I'm going to start the proceeds with everything, and I've managed to get in contact with someone else who brought a pup from the same litter and in the same position.

The guy has 20+ dogs that he breeds and shows but im not sure if he is licensed.

He has a website and Facebook page, and when I search his name on this forum it comes up with shows be has won etc... So he looks like a reputable breeder, but maybe not!?

Offline Nathanjohn8

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »
Update! I've complained about the breeder to pets4homes and to trading standards via the citizens advice bureau. I'll wait and see what they say. :-\

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
we had our papers when we left with her and as soon as I got home a paid the £35 to change her over to my ownership.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
Dreadfull that this should happen, recently saw what I thought was a good litter and hoped to have a new puppy, we contacted someone we know and gave name and they basically warned us off.
You must persue this who ever is at fault
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Nathanjohn8

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
From my earlier post I've had 2 people asking if this is said breeder, shock horror, it is.  >:D

I will pursue this until I get something back from him, and I'm quickly getting more and more recruits joining my battle!

As soon as I've heard something back from trading standards the public naming and shaming will begin. Partly for my own satisfaction  :005: but mainly to warn others that this guy sells pups under false pretences.

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
good for you, although I wont change the way you feel for Toby. :luv:

Offline Nathanjohn8

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »
I know, he is our absolute world! Love him to the moon and back.

It's not about the money or the physical papers, it's the principle.

Still, this guy will get his just desserts!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
My SIL had this some years ago with her Labrador. She took the breeder to the small claims court and she got about 60% back plus compensation for time spent pursuing the case. There are no solicitors involved in small claims (I think its still the same) so it shouldn't cost you to pursue a claim. You still love your dog but the principle remains that you paid probably double the cost you should have done. Good luck.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
I know, he is our absolute world! Love him to the moon and back.

It's not about the money or the physical papers, it's the principle.

Still, this guy will get his just desserts!

I really wish you luck, people have tried many a time and failed, lets hope this is the final nail in his coffin (so to speak)  something really needs to be done about him.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
I'm really sorry this has happened and hope that you get Toby's papers.

Can I just remind everyone involved in this thread not to name the breeder here on COL. Many of the boards on the forum can be viewed by the general public, not just forum members, and there's always the possibility that naming such a breeder could have repercussions for the forum. Thanks :D

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
With each of the puppies we have bought, we have come away with the papers and in fact saw them before we collected the pups.

I know that once your heart has been set on a little pupster, you want it straight away, but maybe if buyers refused to part with their money until they had all the correct paperwork, it might drive these unscrupulous "farmers" out of business.

Just a thought.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
If you have mums KC name, you can always ring the Kennel Club and ask if there is a pending litter registration against her

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Why oh why do people not go to reputable breeders. The paperwork should all be in place at the viewing stage including KC registration, health test certificates. If not ...WALK AWAY. As long as people buy from puppy farmers this will continue. >:D
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers