Author Topic: feeding my new cocker  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: feeding my new cocker
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
Eden kibble sounds good, is it more or less as good as Naturediet?
Dare I ask about the poos!!!!!

No, NatureDiet doesn't have cereal/fillers, I wouldn't be able to feed it to Brodie if it did ;)

I also feed forthglade now and again, natural menu type .

Don't forget that Eden is kibble and naturediet is wet so you aren't comparing like with like!
Forthglade natural menu is not complete and needs something mixed with it. Their natural lifestage variety is complete wet food and can be fed without mixer.
It's a bloomin' nightmare isn't it!?  ph34r

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Eden kibble sounds good, is it more or less as good as Naturediet?
Dare I ask about the poos!!!!!

Lol, natures diet I believe has cereal/fillers , eden doesnt
During the change over Riley had loosh (ish) poo for about 3-4 days, all fine now in that department.
He goes 2 or sometimes 3 times per day, Not very much each time either.

This is a great site for food comparisons, you can compare a few at at time.
www.whichdogfood.co.uk

No, NatureDiet doesn't have cereal/fillers, I wouldn't be able to feed it to Brodie if it did ;)

Ahh right I looked at the chicken one, I think they class rice as cereal/grain.

I also feed forthglade now and again, natural menu type .

Silly me, I was so busy concentrating on maize etc I forgot the obvious ;). But I wouldn't put brown rice in the same class as maize, beet pulp. Thankfully it has no negative effect on Brodie.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline hilhames

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »
lots of thanks again...
BobnDot, the Orijen sounds interesting - am all for a good food, with nice poos and that works out fairly inexpensive although the last point is the least important.  Any idea how this kibble compares with Applaws kibble which someone said is high quality but expensive.  Yes, I do think whichdogfood website will be worth exploring but I don't know the weight of the dog and you cannot leave it out - I guess she will be an average 8 week old but I have no idea what this is.
The one thing about kibble is that you can use it as treats and then its easy  to deduct fromdaily allowance.  I imagine that you can get thru quite a lot of treats when training in first few months and a bit of a complex equation if feeding wet food.
What are the sardines for - is it extra omega or something - is that what makes coat shine?   Can give to a puppy (half tin?).   I like the idea of not too many extras
Related is begging when family are eating.  Do they not do this if never allowed (and not hungry)We eat on our laps I guess we will have to stop doing that.
Can you teach the puppy to wait till you say eat right from the beginning when feeding it?

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
To start with Tilly would sit on the mat while I got her dinner ready, I kept stopping if she moved from the mat and she soon learnt her dinner would take a very long time. :005:
Around 5 months I taught her to sit and wait on the mat until I give the command 'take it'. It took around 3 mins to learn but she now waits nicely for her food.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »
Brodie doesn't beg as I don't feed her off the plate (plus she's not really that fussed about food, unusual for a cocker :shades:) but if you don't feed then they should learn. It may take time though and you may have to put your pup in another room or crate (if you have one). When Brodie first arrived at eight weeks she couldn't believe her eyes or nose the first time she saw a plate of food (it was beans and toast!) and she tried to leap on the plate. This happened a few times until she learned not to :P. it's good to teach them to wait before feeding, just so they aren't leaping all over you when you try to put the bowl down :005:.

Re weight - cockers are all different shapes and sizes, but Brodie was 3kg at eight weeks (if I remember right) and is 11.5kg now. Obviously no idea what your pup will weigh, but it will give you a figure to put in. It won't make much difference in the long run... However, looking at the site you can go direct to the directory and browse the foods that way:

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

I used to give Brodie sardines for her coat (can't now as she's on a restricted diet) and she loved them. Re the treats: Brodie wouldn't work for kibble, it's too low value for her. I just keep an eye on her shape (make sure she has a waist and I can feel her ribs) and if it looks like she is putting weight on then I cut down.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline hilhames

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
right, just wait and see if I hear any more about Orijen and then I will  make a decision between dried/wet having a few equivalents of wet food  to look at
Obviously after a test period I need to get the foods in bulk but to begin with it will be PAH unless somewhere else local, so that's a practicality to take into consideration
Will give the sardines
How much carrot do you give a young puppy?  Is it after the evening meal?
I will of course report back, hopefully this thread may eventually benefit someone else
thanks again

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
lots of thanks again...
BobnDot, the Orijen sounds interesting - am all for a good food, with nice poos and that works out fairly inexpensive although the last point is the least important.  Any idea how this kibble compares with Applaws kibble which someone said is high quality but expensive.  Yes, I do think whichdogfood website will be worth exploring but I don't know the weight of the dog and you cannot leave it out - I guess she will be an average 8 week old but I have no idea what this is.
The one thing about kibble is that you can use it as treats and then its easy  to deduct fromdaily allowance.  I imagine that you can get thru quite a lot of treats when training in first few months and a bit of a complex equation if feeding wet food.
What are the sardines for - is it extra omega or something - is that what makes coat shine?   Can give to a puppy (half tin?).   I like the idea of not too many extras
Related is begging when family are eating.  Do they not do this if never allowed (and not hungry)We eat on our laps I guess we will have to stop doing that.
Can you teach the puppy to wait till you say eat right from the beginning when feeding it?

I've no experience of Applaws but have heard good reports on here about it. Eden seems to be up there with Orijen and Acana as a high quality food but that's just going by the results on whichdogfood.co.uk, not from personal experience.
There's a weight/age guide for cockers at  http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice_pages/cocker_spaniel_weight.htm   but it's important to use this as a guide only and not writ in stone.
With a good quality food the extras aren't really needed but they get sardines (in oil) as a treat and to make sure that  they have access to food other than in kibble form, the same as with the carrot slices, helps to keep their teeth clean, gives then a different crunch sensation and introduces a bit of variety. One sardine will be enough for a puppy and the remainder can go into a sandwich for yourself  :005: or into the fridge.
Many cocker owners use a crate for their puppies and we did so with Chaz. Puppies need a LOT of sleep, 17 to 20 hours a day, but usually try to keep going as long as there's activity around them. A crate gives them a safe place of their own away from the bustle of family life and allows them to sleep regularly through the day especially if it's covered to keep out the light.  We used to feed Chaz before our evening meal and then place him in his crate for a rest while we had our meal.
Kibble doesn't dry out like fresh food but it's still best to get your puppy used to eating his food when it's put down for him and sometimes a bit of encouragement is needed. Lifting the food after it's been down for fifteen minutes or so and keeping it until the next mealtime won't do a puppy any harm but it will teach him to eat his food when it becomes available. We don't leave food bowls down all day but both ours have access to fresh water in several places around the house as well as outside the kitchen door.
Pets at Home don't stock Orijen but we get ours from  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/orijen

Bob.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
Back to the original poster for a mo, are you sure Petplan is a food - I thought it was the insurance that they offer you when you buy a pup.

Having said that it is quite a few years since I had a new puppy - so could be completely mistaken.  :dunno:

Sorry if this puts a spanner in the works and causes more confusion.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
Back to the original poster for a mo, are you sure Petplan is a food - I thought it was the insurance that they offer you when you buy a pup.

Having said that it is quite a few years since I had a new puppy - so could be completely mistaken.  :dunno:

Oh Lordy, I think you are right! Could it be Purina Pro plan perhaps?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »

Well I just thought poor person would be searching for facts about food that does not exist  ph34r (unless as I say I am mistaken)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline hilhames

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
bless you mudmagnets!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »
bless you mudmagnets!

aah no problem, it can be so confusing all the info you try to take in when buying a pup.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »

Gosh I didn't even notice and have read the posts a few times!

Carrots, for a young pup - they are incredibly low in fat and dogs don't get anything nutritionally from them, so it will depend on the pup, I think. Brodie as an adult gets one a day (when she is in the mood to eat them...). There is sometimes an issue of 'orange poo' and when that happens it's time to cut back :P. they are very good for pups when they are teething and in some discomfort, you can even freeze them. If the pup gets wet, I would get a microfibre towel as they can get quite a bit of moisture off of them.

One thing I can say, you are doing plenty of research - I wish every new dog owner did as much ;)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline hilhames

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
ok will start with about third of a carrot and good idea about microfiber towel. I am quite glad I am getting a new w/m same time as pup have had to use laundrette for a few weeks!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Eden is as high quality as orijen but produced in the Uk so much cheaper because of this,
Compare the two side by side on whichdogfood.co.uk and you will see there is no difference.
You dont need to know the weight of the dog when  you are only comparing the foods, only when you are looking at roughly how much to feed.
If you are on facebook then eden has a brilliant group and so helpful at answering and giving advice, they will tell you there how much to try feeding the pup in the beginning.

Riley came to us at 9 weeks weighing 4kg.