Author Topic: Something for Benson to do  (Read 2671 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Something for Benson to do
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
Hi Benson broke his elbow 12 months ago,its mended well,and now I am looking for something we can do together.Before he broke his elbow he did agility competitions and he was very good but don't want to go back to that in case he damages his leg again.

What other activities can he do,if possable something that we can compete in because I enjoyed doing the agility competitions with him.

Thanks

PS he is 4 yrs old.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Something for Benson to do
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
What about Rally O. They hold competions too

Erica 

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
What about Rally O. They hold competions too

Erica 

Rally O is great.  I have started doing it with my basset fauve and we have our first competition in May.  Barney loves it.  He wasn't a fan of agility but likes the element of "showing off" in Rally O.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
Thanks,that looks good  :D. Is their much jumping involved.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
No jumping.  You walk round with your dog to heel (not as close as competitive obedience, just nicely in line with a loose lead).  There are lots of stations where you have to do something like get your dog to stand/sit/lie down at your side.  Sometimes you have to do a U-turn or 270 degree turn or some other change of direction all with your dog at heel.  Some are a sit while you walk round your dog or leaving them in a sit, walking away and recalling.  You have to run, walk or walk slowly in different sections.  The first few competition levels are with your dog on lead and then as you move up, it gets trickier and your dog is off lead.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
loose lead  :fear2: :fear2:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
I thought Barney wouldn't walk nicely on lead either but he soon got the hang of it.  You are allowed, in fact encouraged, to talk to them and praise them as you go round and Barney really likes me to tell him how wonderful he is  :005:.  I started off holding treats in my left hand (you work them on the left) and giving him one intermittently, increasing the time in between treats gradually.  You're not allowed food in the ring in competitions but now when I hold my hand in a fist, he thinks I have treats and does his "nice walking".

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
I do Rally with my two. It would be good to see more cockers doing it. There are lots of collies that take part.
We have done well in the trials, especially the inside venues, where there is less to sniff and be distracted!!
When you get to level 3 there may be a small jump incorporated.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline tangy tango

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »
What about trying treibball if there is a class near you? I started in January with one of my dogs and we are really enjoying it. I like fact it is mainly mental as he does flyball as well which is very physically demanding, but treibball has him panting by the end of the class as he has to think so much  :005:. Our class is clicker based and it doesn't put any pressure on joints as they are taught to push the large exercise ball with their noses.

There are some videos on YouTube if you have not seen treibball before ;)