Author Topic: Munro  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
Munro
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
OH has a few days off and is thinking of doing some walking with the dogs........oh and his brother.

The dogs do get plenty of exercise and are fit and healthy so I am not worried about them being able to cope but I am wondering if they are going off for a days walking is it wise for OH to take some sort of energy food with him for the dogs. If so what should he take that will do the trick but not be too heavy in the stomach and cause problems if they are running about.

Thanks

Offline lescef

Re: Munro
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »
We do a fair bit of walking with our two usually covering about 7 -9 miles. I usually give them bigger portions at meal times (they are fed morning and evening)  We do give them something whilst we are out but not much -extra treats, peanut butter cookies (doggy ones), banana.

Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
Fudge (Walshies) regularly does long walks in the Lakes - would be interesting to know what Dave and Ange take for him enroute?

Some of the Munros have long walks in and gruelling hill climbs - personally I wouldn't want to walk Pearl more than 10 miles in a day in those conditions (she is a show type) and I would be carrying some fudge or packs of jam to rub on her gums plus plenty of water.  I always keep a couple of pieces of fudge in the dog first aid kit in the boot if my car - it's been replenished a few times, especially after a shoot....the dogs love their work and often show now sign of being hypoglycaemic until they get wobbly.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:38:32 PM »
Thanks Jayne and Hi Sasha,

Fudge is on Eden and normally at home he has 100g morning & late afternoon plus 50g at lunchtime making 250g per day.  When we are in full flow and walking up to 12 miles in a day with a lot of ascent we up his morning & late afternoon meals to 125g plus he will have his normal 50g when we have our lunch on the fell. He also has a couple of slices of banana in the morning.

In any case we do not start a walk until he has fully digested his food in the morning and he also gets a rest of about 20 minutes after he has hoovered up his lunch.  This seems to work and he never tires on the walk but crashes out in the back of the car on the way back!

Hope this helps.

Jayne - interesting when you mention carrying Fudge & the jams - is this in case Pearlys blood sugar level drops and she starts to wobble on walks?  Sounds like a good practice to take up for our pooch.  Interestingly, have you heard of anybody using pemmican?

Dave
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »
Dave - the "sugar" is kept in the boot, mostly for COL meets and the shooting season - we set off from the house for each drive so it's always close to hand  ;) I've only seen 1 dog get wobbly on the shoot, it was late morning and a very active springer - she had a teaspoon of honey and was rested for the afternoon - all good after.

It was my Uncles suggestion to keep something sugary to hand as his springer has had a problem while working and the shoot organiser has fudge for the same reason.

It's been a fair few years since I walked a Munro but 3 in a day and 15 miles+ wasn't unusual  :005: stunning scenery and nothing beats tea and a marmalade sandwich at the top  :D

The risk of Miss P running out of steam is very low  :005: the most we do now is a gentle 8 miles in woodland  ;)

I've not come across pemmican but will look it up, thanks

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Not sure really.  I've done a lot of walking with my two over the years (including a lot in North wales (incl Snowdon) and the peak district).  I've never taken the dogs anything extra (and they're fed once a day in the evenings).  I'd just increase their evening meal to accommodate longer walks.  The only 'issue' i've ever had was with heat stroke (and that was on a walk around Hampshire  :005:).

I think the most important consideration is their general fitness.  While some working dogs suffer collapse, I think that's a different scenario to walking/hiking . With working it's a charged situation where dogs get excited/ hyped in the presence of guns and live game, and they are continuously using their noses as well as running hard -  very different IMO to hiking where less is being asked of them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
Think you have a good point regarding shoots and adrenalin. 

North Wales has some great walking although Munro's are in a whole different league - I would say most would not be suited to taking a dog and some have a 22 mile walk in hence camping overnight.....well worth the effort when you get to the top though.

Pemmican loos interesting - the recipes I've found probably have too much fat to be good for digestion but could be modified (no dried fruit) - may have to have a go at making some! Thanks Dave

Offline Walshies

• Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »
Think you have a good point regarding shoots and adrenalin. 

North Wales has some great walking although Munro's are in a whole different league - I would say most would not be suited to taking a dog and some have a 22 mile walk in hence camping overnight.....well worth the effort when you get to the top though.

Pemmican loos interesting - the recipes I've found probably have too much fat to be good for digestion but could be modified (no dried fruit) - may have to have a go at making some! Thanks Dave

Will look into the Pemmican too - it was the staple diet for Scott's Expedition to the South Pole because of the high fat content (and is still used for that very purpose).

Slightly off topic - can you put the 3 of us down for the Eardisland Walk - and for lunch too.  We were on Hergest Ridge (again!) last week and had lunch in the similarly sounding village of Eardisley at The Tram Inn - great food and very dog friendly although Fudge just got his napper down under the table straight away!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Not sure really.  I've done a lot of walking with my two over the years (including a lot in North wales (incl Snowdon) and the peak district).  I've never taken the dogs anything extra (and they're fed once a day in the evenings).  I'd just increase their evening meal to accommodate longer walks.  The only 'issue' i've ever had was with heat stroke (and that was on a walk around Hampshire  :005:).

I think the most important consideration is their general fitness.  While some working dogs suffer collapse, I think that's a different scenario to walking/hiking . With working it's a charged situation where dogs get excited/ hyped in the presence of guns and live game, and they are continuously using their noses as well as running hard -  very different IMO to hiking where less is being asked of them.

Sorry was in a rush earlier...

Also meant to say that I think you are completely right about fitness being the main concern.  Funny how "dead tail" seems to be prevalent at the start of the season and less so towards the end when fitness levels have improved! 

Pearl hasn't always had the best health in the last 3 years, in each recovery period after an operation or yet more ABs I've taken fudge out on walks - only had to give her some on a walk when she was flagging - around 1/3 of a piece each hour.  Not much really...suffice to say we shared each piece  ;)

As I'm hoping to do more miles with her this year (and take her beating again) Pearl has been going to hydrotherapy sessions to improve her fitness - hoping she can keep up with Fudge and Willow in Herefeordshire  :005:

Dave - I'll bump the other thread back up  :D  see you at Wapley Hill?

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
Thanks every one, would never have thought about fudge!

The girls are on Simpsons so quite close to Eden I think. I did think of increasing their food for the day but wasn't sure about giving anything during the day

I'm sure he will take good care of them or I wouldn't let him take them with hime, just wanted to make sure he was prepared.

Offline Walshies

• Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »

Sorry was in a rush earlier...

Also meant to say that I think you are completely right about fitness being the main concern.  Funny how "dead tail" seems to be prevalent at the start of the season and less so towards the end when fitness levels have improved! 

Pearl hasn't always had the best health in the last 3 years, in each recovery period after an operation or yet more ABs I've taken fudge out on walks - only had to give her some on a walk when she was flagging - around 1/3 of a piece each hour.  Not much really...suffice to say we shared each piece  ;)

As I'm hoping to do more miles with her this year (and take her beating again) Pearl has been going to hydrotherapy sessions to improve her fitness - hoping she can keep up with Fudge and Willow in Herefeordshire  :005:

Dave - I'll bump the other thread back up  :D  see you at Wapley Hill?

Roger that - we will see you at Wapley Hill  :D