Author Topic: 11 month old pulling on lead!  (Read 733 times)

Offline BERT

11 month old pulling on lead!
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
Hi looking for some advice, I have an 11 month old Show cocker Bert. He on the whole is a fab pup and been no bother. He predominately goes off lead and is great but recently walking him on lead around where we live, he is constantly pulling. I have tried rewarding good walking, stopped when he has pulled but to no avail. My hands are very sore from the constant pulling?

He is on a lead and collar and wondering whether to buy another harness???

Offline rednblack

Re: 11 month old pulling on lead!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
Sounds as though you're doing all the right things.  It takes a lot of time, and perseverance. I've had success using a Halti (dog head collar);  my younger dog, Prince, has worn one for every walk since January and it's made a big difference, walks aren't so tense and my shoulders and arms are not pulled out of their sockets  >:D .  He gets praise and treats for walking close beside me, and I hope to start weaning him off it soon.

Also a wide fleece-lined lead from Dog Games saved my hands and was easy to grip without slipping.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »
I have a SWAG headcollar for my 2 workers and they are marvellous.....but....it would be much better to train him out of it - if you do  search for pulling on a lead there is a really good thread in which Karma explains a method to train it.

Good luck
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
I too would recommend a head collar as long as you fit it properly - Gentle Leader, Halti, whatever.  Dogs don't like them to begin with but they get used to them and they work like magic.  No use getting your arms pulled out of their sockets - no good for you or the dog's neck.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Head collar definitely made riley pull a lot less,  I didn't say "stop" but for sure took away lot of his "pulling power"