Author Topic: COI  (Read 6658 times)

Offline daw

Re: COI
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
I guess one danger could be that the less reputable breeders may jump on the COI bandwagon (presuming of course they have any idea what it is - I certainly didn't until reading the forum posts -) and use a lower percentage number as a selling point, disregarding other health and welfare factors, eyes, kidneys, temperament etc.

Except the hideous recessive genes that double up to give kidney, eye, neurological and immune-mediated diseases, behavioural difficulties, liver shunt, hyperthyroidism, epilepsy and...to be honest I lose the heart to go on. They are all listed as genetic problems in cockers by scientists and vets (rather than breeder- wonder if maybe they have more knowledge?) and are the result of consistently high CoI!

And I just don't understand a point of view that cares more about coat density than all of this. 

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »
I guess one danger could be that the less reputable breeders may jump on the COI bandwagon (presuming of course they have any idea what it is - I certainly didn't until reading the forum posts -) and use a lower percentage number as a selling point, disregarding other health and welfare factors, eyes, kidneys, temperament etc.

Except the hideous recessive genes that double up to give kidney, eye, neurological and immune-mediated diseases, behavioural difficulties, liver shunt, hyperthyroidism, epilepsy and...to be honest I lose the heart to go on. They are all listed as genetic problems in cockers by scientists and vets (rather than breeder- wonder if maybe they have more knowledge?) and are the result of consistently high CoI!

And I just don't understand a point of view that cares more about coat density than all of this.
Daw, with due respect you appear to be on a crusade against anyone breeding any dog with a coi of more than 0...  You cannot categorically prove that every single ill (health, temperament and whatever else you choose to add to the list) is linked to high (or average coi).  Yes, there may be some links to some conditions.  yes there are hereditarily passed on conditions.  No they are not all due to high coi.  Have you actually sat down and thought about any further contributing factors?  any other variables perhaps?  like training and handling, lifestyle/exercise/feeding regimes, environmental factors?  No?  didn't think so.  And stating to all and sundry that coi is the most important thing to consider when choosing a puppy is just irresponsible (and dangerous).  Puppy farmers and b/y breeders are no good thing regardless of the low coi, fn/pra free puppies they produce.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:16 PM »
Ben`s mum has asked that, since she has got the information she wanted, and she didn't want a heated argument to ensue, this thread should be closed now  ;)
Julie and Watson