Author Topic: So what is Charlie??  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Buck

So what is Charlie??
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »
Not that it matters to me but what category would Charlie fit best, worker or show??

At 10 months now he's getting lots more fur by the day, mainly under his chin and chest.
Most have seen the pics I've posted but here's a little reminder.

Would i be better just posting a head shot?

I'd just like to know how to answer when people ask which he is.
Also am i right in saying he's English​ solid golden.

Thanks Rob

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: So what is Charlie??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:41 AM »
Looking at his face, he's very like Humphrey, so I'd go for show. Charlie looks longer in the body but that might just be the angle of the photo, he's a beautiful boy, whichever he is!!

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
I'd say show type, looking at the rounded skull and low set ears, but the body is long and lean like a worker.  Both types come in a variety of sizes and shapes.  Are there any clues in his pedigree?  He's gorgeous, whatever type he is!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Question....So what is Charlie?

verdict....he's very handsome  :luv:

Has he got any FTCH (=Field Trial Champion) after any of the names on his pedigree, that will give you some indication if he has worker in him.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
Novice here but I would say he's a show after comparing him to my worker.
Milo has very short hair but then he's getting a bit fluffier now but still only 6 months.
Here's a pic so you can see

Not great pics but hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Looks more show to me
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
I'd say show type, looking at the rounded skull and low set ears, but the body is long and lean like a worker.  Both types come in a variety of sizes and shapes.  Are there any clues in his pedigree?  He's gorgeous, whatever type he is!  :luv:

I'd agree with all of this  ;)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Show x worker  :blink:  He's a mix of both.
helen & jarvis x

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
I'm with Helen on this - would suspect there is worker somewhere in there  :D

Stunning depth of colour in his coat - beautiful.

Offline Buck

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
I didn't get any papers with Charlie, just his microchip number basically, he hadn't been vaccinated and had a bad bout of worms and ear mites.
Later when i came to register his microchip number they couldn't do it as petlog couldn't recognise the number. I think most numbers start 90088 but Charlie's is 90085.
The nurse at my vets said it could be an Irish chip and i remember that the people he came from were Irish, or so if been told.
Charlie was originally bought by a disabled guy and the family couldn't cope with Charlie's diorreha and other stuff, so he came to me at a few weeks of age. (Sept 2016)

I took him to my vets (Greenways in lytham at Ann's) where he had strong wormers and antibiotics and ear stuff and cause he was so thin i fed him plain cooked chicken n rice and slowly introduced kibble.
At the time what ever he ate came straight out the other end with bits of blood. It was a worrying time!
Sorry I've waffled again, I'm not bothered if Charlie is show or worker or both as he's our buddy/family member regardless. I was just curious and to me special especially after his bad start for us now to be getting nice comments about his condition and temperament is great.
Rob

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
What a handsome fella!  We love him.

He's very similar to our old girl Betty,  who we considered to be a show type,  ......but she thought she was a worker. 

For her no trek was too long or too arduous, no undergrowth too impenetrable, and no water too cold.

The picture of your boy brings back happy memories to us.  Thanks for posing.

Sarka,  Jon and Barnaby.

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
Looks like a show to me. He's very similar to Maisie who has a very domed head and low set ears but a silky long coat rather than the curly explosion...love both anyway  :shades: :luv:
After a 'disagreement' with a groomer who insisted Maisie was a mongrel  >:D I decided to do some research into the history of breeding and the effect it had on the coats....I had a lot of time on my hands!  ;)
Apparently way back Cockers used to have straight, silky coats, they weren't nearly as full and curly as they tend to be now (for the most part). Then some were born with fluffy coats and they started to win in the ring. And so the birth of the generous Cocker coat which people expect the show type to look like nowadays....I know I certainly did. The coat type comes from breeding and genetics, so somewhere in the pedigree our silkies must have had what they call an old fashioned cocker line in them. Maisie has grown a fabulous long skirt in the past few months with a wavy chest wig so you might get that next.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
Having had a show and then getting Ollie a rescue cocker - asked  my old  vet who said he was half and half :D

Which just reminds me of cream - which makes him just delicious.  you are just lovely charlie

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
Handsome boy :luv:

I think he's a bit of both. His head, ear set and overall shape look more show than worker to me. But if he was 100% show he would have a lot more coat.

Offline Buck

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
He is super silky, when we play i can't keep hold of him he's so slippery. If you gently stroke his fur along his back or sides against the grain direction it grows it doesn't ruffle it just stays where it is feeling really soft but un-moving.
His feathers at the front are also growing a lot and his front paws getting to be much furier making then look big.
He seems to be getting a lot of fine blondish hairs on his head, and his chest has become quite fluffy. I noticed his chin has fine long hairs that grew in the last week. I call it his beard.

His ears are quite big but a lot is fur, he has a habit of standing on them while sniffing and trips over his face which is funny.
As i brush him a lot some days his ears or the fur are longer than normal so end up soaked if he drinks or they go in his food so have to be washed.
We really love him and i think/hope he's really happy now and hopefully that will show in time.
Thanks again for your nice comments