Author Topic: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.  (Read 9517 times)

Offline Gazrob

Re: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Hi Micahsmum yeah I know they aren't good. I'm guilty of giving him them too not just my mother. But you learn from your mistakes.  He's not out of the woods yet but I'm much happier today. I'll give another update in a couple of weeks when he's on his new food properly.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
That's cool emilyoliver. Marley loves chicken and duck. I'm going to feed him trout once a week as an occasional treat. He loves fish. I've binned the denti stix and the dog biscuits. I've also told my mother when she comes to visit not to give him any dog bones or biscuits she has a tendency to sneak him one when I'm not looking or not around.

Can you have a word with my old mum as well 😁

She thinks I don't know when she sneakily gives her a biscuit or scraps 😊
And mine, please? Obviously a 'mum thing'.  My mum has lunch with my 3 while I'm at work.  In addition to her own lunch, she also specifically makes the dogs a sandwich to share (despite me saying 100x that they really do not need an extra sandwich or anything else).  Bit frustrating, but her heart is in the right place and I'm really lucky to have her close enough (and willing) to help me with them  :luv:

Gazrob - mine get either tripe sticks, frozen chicken feet, hooves or fish twists to chew on.  All natural and they love them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
I'll look into that thanks.im trying not to bombard him with lots of different things at the moment. Once his system is back on track I'll give it a try.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 09:47:43 PM »
I'll look into that thanks.im trying not to bombard him with lots of different things at the moment. Once his system is back on track I'll give it a try.
Good plan. No point in upsetting the balance unnecessarily. It was just to say that there are lots of natural products available.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
Just a quick update. Marley is now on his second day of new food. His runny poos seemed to have cleared up. I'm feeding him csj fit n fast. Before I was feeding him a more expensive grain free food which cost me £40 which is twice as much for 15kg. It didn't get fantastic reviews but it seems to be working for Marley.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
Just a quick update. Marley is now on his second day of new food. His runny poos seemed to have cleared up. I'm feeding him csj fit n fast. Before I was feeding him a more expensive grain free food which cost me £40 which is twice as much for 15kg. It didn't get fantastic reviews but it seems to be working for Marley.
Brilliant. Best thing I read re the best dog food - the best dog food is the one that suits your dog and that you can afford. So true. No 2 dogs are the same, and all 3 of mine are one different foods for exactly that reason. Hope the food works out long term. Great results so far.

Offline hoover

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Late to this thread but thought would add my tuppence worth regarding cheaper food...we actually still have Ollie on a puppy/ junior kibble (Chudleys) despite the fact that he is well over 2 now, and we have no intention of moving to an adult food. 

To my mind it has the high levels of proteins and nutrients that more expensive brands boast of for adult dogs, despite being a fraction of the cost (approx £18 for 12kg).  We feed a smaller amount as it is naturally high calorie and a quite high proportion fat but he maintains a good weight on it as he is very active doing regular 5k runs and swimming most days.  Because it has smaller pieces of kibble it is also compatible with most treat dispensers, so he receives his meals in these which entertains him and slows down the rate at which he eats. I think foods that describe themselves as suitable for pups have to meet a higher standard so we're happy and I would estimate it costs about 22p a day to feed.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
Hi hoover thanks for your reply. Marley has never been on puppy food. I got him when he was 7 months old he was already on adult food. I'm currently paying 22.70 for a 15kg bag which works out at 20 something pence a day. It will last at least a couple of months. He's much better than he was on the expensive high protein working dog grain free food which was 38 pound a bag.

Offline anthonycmjohnson

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Hi - we use www.tails.com. They cut out the middleman and deliver right to your door. They create a specific mix for each breed of dog and and for their age - so the website says. We're really happy with them - the food has a very high protein content and as far as we can tell, (we're not experts as this is our first puppy), it is very affordable considering the quality of the kibble. We would certainly recommend.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:36 PM »
Just an update. Marley has been on his csj fit n fast for the past four months now. He's a lot better now. He rarely leaves any of his food he does seem to really enjoy it. I can highly recommend it. I know it's not the best most expensive food it cost me £21.70 for a 15 kg bag compared to £39 I was paying for his previous kibble. Before I started him on csj he would often skip meals even if I changed the flavour every couple of months. He's had the same food for four months and left a bit of his food just a couple of times.

Offline ips

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
I have heard good things about csj, a lot of shooters feed it to there dogs.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.