Author Topic: Grief in dogs  (Read 1187 times)

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
Grief in dogs
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
We were a two dog household until Wednesday when Charlie died very suddenly.

Since then Sophie has been understandably very depressed and confused. After frantic searching she just lies moaning. As Charlie died of a suspected infectious disease we were not able to take Sophie to be with him or see him after.

How can I help her in this situation? She had a very bad start in life, she came from Many Tears and we are concerned that she thinks we ve just got rid of him and is panicking that we are going to do the same to her. They were together for nine years and she doted on him.

Due to the circumstances we had to wash all his things so cant give her any blankets or anything smelling of him.

Any ideas/experience of how we can help would be much appreciated.

Offline Mundyboy

Re: Grief in dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
Ah Bless.  I am sorry to read of your loss.  Of course Charlie meant a lot to you and it is kind of you to acknowledge that Sophie misses him too.  Give her lots extra attention and try not to read too many human emotions into her actions.  She will miss her friend and she will look for his company, especially when you go to the shops etc and leave her.  Put the TV on when you go out; make one heck of a fuss of her when you come back.  Spoil her.  We all find it hard to adjust after bereavement but we come to terms with it with the help of those we love.  Take heart – things will get better.  I am thinking of you both at this sad time in your life.
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
Oh dear, I am so sorry for your loss of Charlie, and the distress it is causing Sophie. It is very upsetting to see a dog grieving. We had five Scotties at one time, all bitches, and number four girl Cassie absolutely adored number one Tessa, more than her own mother. When Tessa died at the vet we brought her home and allowed the others to see her. The others weren't bothered but Cassie nosed her and tried to make her get up, and then she sat outside the room where Tessa was lying until we could bury her later, and howled piteously. It was deeply deeply distressing. After that she became very depressed and looked for her everywhere. We washed all Tessa's things but she never really got over it.

And when the last Scottie was left, she also became depressed and lacklustre. Anyone who says dogs don't grieve is so wrong.

I don't know how you can help Sophie. I wonder if it would be better to let her have something that smells of Charlie, as a comfort? Just give her lots of love, I think she will settle,down eventually, but she may be very quiet for quite a while. I don't think she will be thinking that you are going to get rid of her, dogs minds don't work that way. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's not something that happens to every dog. I do sympathise with what you and she are going through though  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :'(

Lesley and Dylan

I
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.