Author Topic: Quick question regarding barking  (Read 1180 times)

Offline bmthmark

Quick question regarding barking
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Jett has picked up a bad habit, in the morning he sits at the back door waiting to go out (which is great).
However once I let him out he barks a lot and goes crazy  >:D, he does this more when he notices birds land in the garden or fly over. He runs around trying to find the scent of the bird and just barks and barks.

I don't mind him running around like crazy but I really want to stop the barking.

Any idea?

Thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Quick question regarding barking
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
One of my two went through a phase of doing this after he was frightened by a neighbour letting off a noisy firework at an inappropriate time of year. Poor William was in the garden mid-pee when it happened and although he's normally a confident dog it terrified him. Afterwards, every time I opened the back door he wanted to rush out barking.

I found that taking him into the garden on his lead and letting him sniff round for a minute or so on lead helped him realise there was nothing frightening (or in your dog's case exciting) going on. Once I was sure he was calm I'd let him off lead. It didn't take long and he was back to feeling calm about going in the garden and the rushing out and barking stopped.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
One of my two went through a phase of doing this after he was frightened by a neighbour letting off a noisy firework at an inappropriate time of year. Poor William was in the garden mid-pee when it happened and although he's normally a confident dog it terrified him. Afterwards, every time I opened the back door he wanted to rush out barking.

I found that taking him into the garden on his lead and letting him sniff round for a minute or so on lead helped him realise there was nothing frightening (or in your dog's case exciting) going on. Once I was sure he was calm I'd let him off lead. It didn't take long and he was back to feeling calm about going in the garden and the rushing out and barking stopped.

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I did notice if I carry him out he doesn't bark, but as soon as I put him down he goes crazy. I will definitely try on the lead

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
Henry is exactly the same. He runs to the back of the garden and barks at the tree where the squirrels and birds hang out and forgets to stop. I do as Elaine suggests  - I take him out on the lead and drop it once I know he’s calm. It does help b
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
Henry is exactly the same. He runs to the back of the garden and barks at the tree where the squirrels and birds hang out and forgets to stop. I do as Elaine suggests  - I take him out on the lead and drop it once I know he’s calm. It does help b

Thanks - That's good to hear that Jett is not the only crazy one  :lol2:

I will get him on his lead when I know he is going to go crazy. Its easy to spot as he is looks ready to tear the door down to get out

Hopefully I can stop the barking as I do feel sorry for the neighbors. Luckily its not all the time

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Just a quick update.

I can tell when Jett is going to go crazy at the door, he is very eager to get out. So I put him on his lead, he then pulls me round the garden sniffing like crazy. But no barking at all  :D.
After I think he calms down, I get him off the lead. He is fine, until a bird fly's over the garden. This gets him back in to crazy mode and he runs around barking, jumping on anything and literally uncontrollable.

Its weird because he is not like this when we are out (which i'm pleased about), its just in his own garden.

He doesn't seem in a scared state or a worried state, he seems like he just doesn't like other animals going in his garden.
Its worst in the morning as well, but I think this is because more wildlife seems to be around then.

Its not a major thing but I would like to stop this early on whilst he is young. Any idea's what I can do?