Author Topic: Raw meal providers - alternatives wanted due to price hike!  (Read 2274 times)

Offline BentleyT

Raw meal providers - alternatives wanted due to price hike!
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
Hello! We've been feeding our boy on Natural Instinct complete food since we got him, but as the prices have gone up significantly (20% in some cases) I'm thinking twice about ordering from them again.

Does anyone know what close equivalents are out there? It was our vet that recommended Natural Instinct so we didn't research much at the time.

Cheers

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Raw meal providers - alternatives wanted due to price hike!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Natures Menu is a value equivalent but not all the meals are complete - I’ll find the list and add to this post in a few minutes.

The alternative that I’ve also had my guys on is Nutriment.  If you buy the 1.4Kg chubs (can be used for 4 days from defrosting but can also be re-frozen into portions) it’s much better value, especially the working dog range.  I’ve seen a difference in my Cockers on Nutriment -they have fabulous coats that burrs don’t seem to get stuck in plus I need no additional oils or veg with it  :D

Updated

https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/multipack-complete

The link takes you to the list of meats that are complete.  They also do a mixed box of 300gm blocks which may be better if you feed 150gm per meal as I do!

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:24 PM »
 My pup went off. Nutriment  and Natural Instinct.  At 9months he prefers more chunky minces. I use Just Natural and The Dog and Bone. No veg in. 

Raw Feeding Rebels and Raw Feeding UK are FB groups that have lists of suppliers.

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
Thanks both I'll do some research on those. One good thing with Bentley is I know he won't go off anything!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 07:11:59 AM »
Have you considered doing it yourself? It does need some amount of research so you understand what the dog needs and is a bit time consuming at first but once you get into it and find a routine, its pretty simple. I usually buy enough food for about six weeks, mix it up and freeze into daily portions. Its certainly cheaper than the ready made mixes and you can take advantage of offers or include left overs from your own meals. There‘re lots of info online and also a facebook page called Raw Feeders which I found helpful. If its an option and I can be of any help, let me know.

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
DIY sounds like an option, just depends how long it takes. I'd thought about that before but figured I'd have to be going to an abattoir to get the cheep cuts and wouldn't know where to start. That raw feeders web site, is that a fresh meat provider?

Just found this - a recipe is a good starting point I guess..

https://www.fidosavvy.com/raw-dog-food-recipe.html

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
Hi I started feeding raw with the completes such as nutriement etc  due to my confidence (or lack of), I joined a couple of the facebook sites gained a lot more knowledge with their guidance and now DIY, it works out a good bit cheaper and I know what he is getting. I mainly use a supplier that will deliver a wide range of manufacturers and items and I normally buy minced, chunks or meaty bones from paleo ridge, DAF, MVM or TDB and add my own veg etc. Some members on the sites can be a bit bombastic e.g. jump on you if you want to add veg but the moderators and other  members can give good balanced advice.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
This is also a good site  http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/
and is connected to the facebook page. I can‘t help much wirh suppliers unfortunately as I don‘t live in UK but I‘m sure you‘ll find suppliers online. I‘ve found one here that sells things like frozen tripe  and offel in cubes rather than frozen in one big lump which makes portioning much much easier.
Theo is quite right about some of the radicals on the fb site, unfortunately there are some who treat it like a religion and get very bossy about what or what you shouldn‘t feed but you come across those types everywhere on social media!  ;) don‘t let them put  you off. !!
Best of luck!!!