Author Topic: Awful road walk 🙈  (Read 1312 times)

Offline James+Carly

Awful road walk 🙈
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
We have tried most things to help with Oscars walking and recall. My OH when he is off, generally takes him for a good run around, if I walk him, it will be a road walk as I'm not confident walking him in the fields on my own (so bless little Oscar, he probably does get confused)! His pulling a lot less than he use to which is manageable for me.

However today  >:D was one of those days...!! He had done pretty well on his walk, we did see a Labrador at one pint across the road who he barked his head off at and I managed to eventually get him to start walking nicely again. But as we were around the corner from home, we saw a dog and his owner we use to go to puppy school with. They got on really well (the dogs) when they first met each other for the first 6 months, then the other puppy had his bits done, again still remained friendly. Oscar then has his bits done and since then every time Oscar sees him, he just quite aggressively barks and snarls at the other dog he knows. I have no idea where this came from, I wish he didn't do it, and it's so embarrassing!!!

Any ideas??

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Awful road walk 🙈
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
Its very strange, Humphrey acts like that with certain dogs, especially if he doesn‘t know them ( he is still entire, which doesn‘t help either) and it doesn’t seem to matter if the others are entire or not, although he is generally better with bitches  :shades:, so I tend to think the castrated dogs are perhaps still recognizable as „rival males“ . I wonder if, because the other dog has been done, he doesn‘t smell the same and Oscar doesn‘t recognize him? Also if both are on the lead, they sometimes react differently.
I‘m finding Humphrey to be less predictable as he matures, he used to go up, tale wagging, to everthing and everyone but he‘s had a couple of unpleasant encounters and its made him more wary. He can actually be quite grumpy sometimes until he‘s decided if its friend or foe!  :lol2:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Ohhhh to be absolutely honest I gave up trying to fathom Ollie out years ago, frankly it got me no where and just taxed the old brain :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Yes. We kind of went through a phase of 'we'll this is just Oscar.' I've never owned dog previously so I don't really know what to expect, but I never see other dogs that meet each other on the street react like Oscar does. It does tend to be when he is on the lead, when he is off lead, or on the long line he just wants to go play. He does tend to have a bit of 'im the boss syndrome too.'

Hopefully we don't bump into them again to save myself the embarrassment!

BizzyLizzy - are you still debating whether to get Humphrey neutered?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
Yes. We kind of went through a phase of 'we'll this is just Oscar.' I've never owned dog previously so I don't really know what to expect, but I never see other dogs that meet each other on the street react like Oscar does. It does tend to be when he is on the lead, when he is off lead, or on the long line he just wants to go play. He does tend to have a bit of 'im the boss syndrome too.'

Hopefully we don't bump into them again to save myself the embarrassment!

BizzyLizzy - are you still debating whether to get Humphrey neutered?

There seem to be various theories about why they‘re more reactive on the lead, some say they feel stronger and more dominant but I tend to think the opposite, I think they probably feel more vulnerable and issue a warning not to come too close, - attack is the best defence maybe ?
Yes, we‘re still on the fence re castration and its a case of listening to my head or my heart  :huh: We had a scan done again a couple of weeks ago but the vet still can‘t be sure where exactly the undecscended testical is, its somewhere in the stomach cavity he thinks, so its going to be a bit more complicated than the usual neutering procedure anyway. I just hate the thought of putting him all through that if its not absolutely essential and my vet feels the same but then I do worry about him being a target for other males. Its a hard call and I‘m not the most decisive person at the best of times.  >:(

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
I went through a phase of random dogs attacking Jett, this started when he was around 11 months old. I also had an incident where Jett attacked back, but looking back I think he was trying to defend himself  :huh: . He started to mark his scent on literally every post on a walk.
I spoke to my vet about it all, especially the random attacks. My vet said as he is turning in to an adult dog he is letting off a scent, other dogs see may see this as a threat.
I discussed neutering with the vet and as he is now fully grown we decided to get him done.

I was very apprehensive about it as I didn't want to change his personality and I didn't want to affect his progress in his training. However I really did not like it that random dogs would attack him with no warning, this in itself was enough to make the decision.

So he had the operation, he was in and out in one day. He came home and was feeling very sorry for himself for a few days.

To my delight his personality has not changed at all, he is still a lovely chap and still very very annoying  :005: (in a nice way)
He almost instantly stopped marking his scent and 2 months later we have had no random attacks.

It was a hard decision, but for me I think we made the right one.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
I agree with bizzylizzy about dogs potentially feeling more vulnerable when on lead and that’s why they are reactive. Fear can often look like aggression in dogs. I do wonder why some dogs off leash object to those on leash, though. That one’s a mystery!

Because I am the one who has put Henry on the lead and taken away some of his capacity to make his own decisions in situations where he’s not happy, I find it helps to let him know I’ll protect him. He’s an over enthusiastic greeter rather than an aggressive one, but it’s a similar issue. Pulling on the lead for any reason stimulates the opposition reflex and makes the energy levels escalate really quickly, so when I see other dogs coming I quickly get Henry to turn back to me then put him in a sit on the inside edge of the pavement and put myself between him and any oncoming dogs. If I do this quickly enough, I can keep him focussed on me even as the other dog passses, and often the other dog will decide Henry’s not worth investigating as he’s sitting there being boring. If the other dog does approach Henry, I hold Henry’s harness and keep him in the sit. Again, this usually results in the other dog shrugging and walking away and keeps Henry calm.

When I remember to do this consistently, Henry starts looking at me when he sees another dog coming and I’m hoping it will gradually reduce his urge to say hello at the end of the lead like a wild thing.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
I went through a phase of random dogs attacking Jett, this started when he was around 11 months old. I also had an incident where Jett attacked back, but looking back I think he was trying to defend himself  :huh: . He started to mark his scent on literally every post on a walk.
I spoke to my vet about it all, especially the random attacks. My vet said as he is turning in to an adult dog he is letting off a scent, other dogs see may see this as a threat.
I discussed neutering with the vet and as he is now fully grown we decided to get him done.

I was very apprehensive about it as I didn't want to change his personality and I didn't want to affect his progress in his training. However I really did not like it that random dogs would attack him with no warning, this in itself was enough to make the decision.

So he had the operation, he was in and out in one day. He came home and was feeling very sorry for himself for a few days.

To my delight his personality has not changed at all, he is still a lovely chap and still very very annoying  :005: (in a nice way)
He almost instantly stopped marking his scent and 2 months later we have had no random attacks.

Thankyou, that is reassuring as I have been worrying about changes in personality. Jett‘s coat doesn‘t seem to have suffered either has it? On the last pictures you posted, he looked beautiful. We‘ll get Christmas over and done with and then I‘ll have to start and consider it seriously next year.  Thanks for your input!  :D

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »

Thankyou, that is reassuring as I have been worrying about changes in personality. Jett‘s coat doesn‘t seem to have suffered either has it? On the last pictures you posted, he looked beautiful. We‘ll get Christmas over and done with and then I‘ll have to start and consider it seriously next year.  Thanks for your input!  :D

Thank you bizzylizzy

That's very true regarding his coat, I was unsure whether he would go curly. But nothing changed at all.
It may just be luck that he hasn't been attacked again or that I am more relaxed about it. But he definitely does not mark every post.

I know it sounds strange but I found it very difficult to make the decision and even on the day I was worried if I was doing the right thing. I think you have to go with your gut feeling and weigh up the pro's and the con's.
I would not of had him done if everything was fine, it was mainly down to the consistent dog attacks that swayed him to have the op.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
Just a word of warning - it can take up to six months for their coats to change. Henry started to go curly about 4-5 months after he was neutered, and he can’t be hand stripped. But his coat is still very silky rather than woolly and the curl loose so the groomer can still give him a ‘Cocker’ cut, with feathering and long ears. I do have to watch out for knots and matting, though.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
Just a word of warning - it can take up to six months for their coats to change. Henry started to go curly about 4-5 months after he was neutered, and he can’t be hand stripped. But his coat is still very silky rather than woolly and the curl loose so the groomer can still give him a ‘Cocker’ cut, with feathering and long ears. I do have to watch out for knots and matting, though.

Wow didn't know that. I just checked and Jett had his op in September so 3 months ago, can't believe how time flies. I haven't noticed any change in his coat (yet).
Even if it does I am not worried, just happy he is his normal self and his personality was not changed.

Did you notice any changes in Henry?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
I’m happy to say I noticed no difference in Henry at all - just as sweet, loopy, infuriating and adorable as always!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »
Just wanted to mention about their coat changing, Ollie in entire - but he is now 10 and since about 7 years old he is a curly wurly cocker when his coat is longer.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed