Author Topic: Ear Infection  (Read 876 times)

Offline murphymoo

Ear Infection
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Hi Everyone - Yogi our 6 year old cocker has an ear infection that won't clear up

Its really red and we have had 3 lots of ear drops from the vet and nothing touching it - We are cleaning it up as air just cant get at it

Any ideas what we could try ?

Offline hoover

Re: Ear Infection
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
If he will tolerate it you could try tying his ears up with a soft hair band so that it exposes the inner ear to better air flow and helps clear up the infection.  Google 'cocker spaniels ears tied up' and you will see some pics of pups with ears tied up so they don't drag these in their food.  This should be done very softly/ loosely  however as if it was too tight you could obviously damage the ears. You could also try ear wipes to clean the larger area of the ear.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »
Have the vets done a swab ?

Bea had an infection that wouldn't clear up so the Head Vet looked at it under a microscope, he said that she had "a lot going on in there" she had around 3 different germs etc, he then gave her a different drop which cleared it up.

They will always go for a drop that will clear up a General infection and sometimes this just doesn't work, it also ends up costing you more >:(

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Hi, not sure if it is both ears or just one but I wondered if anything could be stuck in there? Ellie had several ear infections when she was younger and on one occasion there was a grass seed stuck but it was quite sometime before the vets picked it up.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »
Swab and culture if it was not done allready. When ear infections drag out like that, opportunist bacteria tend to move in and thrive. My cocker had a bad infection some years back. The vets kept prescribing things that usually works. I eventually asked for a culture and it turned out one of the bacterias that grew there was resistant to the usual treatments. By that time it had become a chronic problem and was very difficult to treat. So if cleaning and first round of treatment does not work I always insist on swab and culture so we know what we're treating and can get it under control quickly. Good luck!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
That sounds sensible! Good to know, thanks for the tip!

Offline murphymoo

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Yes he has a really bad infection that hasn't responded to any drops etc
He was put under on Friday and had his ear washed out continuously and a swab taken again - fingers crossed they sort it this time

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
Keep the hair short around the ear short to allow air in, I use Thornits powder which you dust just inside the ear(not deep down) with a soft brush not unlike a stubby blusher brush