Author Topic: Lip Fold Surgery.........!!!!  (Read 868 times)

Offline rubyduby

Lip Fold Surgery.........!!!!
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
My Spaniel had a double lip fold operation three weeks ago, it seemed to heal up fairly well, but now the area looks sore (not infected) I am not inpressed with the surgery which looks very untidy, the stitches were supposed to dissolve, yet I can feel bristly bits like stiff stitches, she is a dark dog and mouth shy so very difficult to inspect. I am not happy with he standard of surgery, nor the fact that her mouth is already sore along the stitch line. I will be seeing him Monday to discuss this, but not sure what I can do? any suggestions and has anyone a similar experience. I had a Spaniel done several years ago, and it was a beautiful tidy job that cleared the problem up completely....I know there are no guarantee, but I think this clumsy surgery is not helping.......Help!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Lip Fold Surgery.........!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
I have heard Manuka Honey works as a natural antibiotic

Offline murphymoo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »
My 2 cockers had it done and our vet is superb but again its come back but not as before the surgery

We have spent a fortune on all different things but key is to keep the area clean after eating

Lipfolds on cockers are a nightmare to control

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
i wonder whether the soreness/irritation isn't coming from the undissolved stitches?  I've had a dog who had dissolving stitches that didn't dissolve, and they started to irritate her.  Vet took them out and all was fine thereafter.  If you feel that you are able to keep her still - try and have a good look at whether there are still stitches there, and remove them if you are confident doing so.  Otherwise, make sure your vet checks and removes them if they're still there.  you may find this sorts out the problem.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
We originally thought Bea's wound from her spay was infected as it was red and angry, the vet checked it out and it terns out that she is allergic to stitches    >:(

Might be worth checking it out ?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
Lipfolds on cockers are a nightmare to control

Tell me about it mind you I never had any problems with Wilf & Ruby at all but now have huge problems with Lady (in her case it doesn't help she had many teeth out due to stomatitis so her top lip comes/droops further down now
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!