Author Topic: Barking When Playing  (Read 3919 times)

Offline PennyB

Barking When Playing
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »
Why do you want him to stop barking when he plays? I can't imagine this is an easy thing to teach  - its a bit like telling kids not to laugh when they're playing  :unsure: , and he has so much to learn at the moment  :rolleyes:

I'd leave the less important stuff until hes older; he may grow out of it  ;)
[snapback]143088[/snapback]

or a bit like kids screaming when they're excited by play.

Wilf still does it age 2! He even tries to do it when he's got a ball in his mouth and running around
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 12:08:31 PM »
Why do you want him to stop barking when he plays? I can't imagine this is an easy thing to teach  - its a bit like telling kids not to laugh when they're playing  :unsure: , and he has so much to learn at the moment  :rolleyes:

I'd leave the less important stuff until hes older; he may grow out of it  ;)
[snapback]143088[/snapback]

or a bit like kids screaming when they're excited by play.

Wilf still does it age 2! He even tries to do it when he's got a ball in his mouth and running around
[snapback]143154[/snapback]

But do you let your kids scream whilst playing? I don't.  If my kids were screaming whilst playing, I'd tell them to be quiet.   ;)  Laughing and giggling is fine, but screaming... no!   They learn what is and what isn't acceptable as little ones... I've got 3 sons and there's no way I'd be able to live with them if they screamed all the time.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 02:04:56 PM »
You should hear the row my Pepsi makes on her own with a plastic bottle chasing around the garden! She barks at the broom and the mop! And she 'chatters' to us all the time. I don't think I'd like it if she were a quiet dog, we were so excited when she first started barking!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Barking When Playing
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
Thanks Katina  :)  Any tips on how to stop it at the puppy stage?
[snapback]143151[/snapback]

I've simply used water with puppies. I splash water at them  from a bottle,  and when they shut up I give a treat and tell them how good they are :).
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Barking When Playing
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »
This is just what puppies do, you should hear it when I have a litter with 7 pups, now that's noisy!  I don't stop them, they play, they bark they make one heck of a noise, but soon settle down.  The more you try to stop them they more they will do it because they are getting a reaction from you!

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »
You should hear the row my Pepsi makes on her own with a plastic bottle chasing around the garden! She barks at the broom and the mop! And she 'chatters' to us all the time. I don't think I'd like it if she were a quiet dog, we were so excited when she first started barking!
[snapback]143172[/snapback]

:) Sounds like fun, and if you think that's just the way you like her to be, then that's great  :D

I'm trying to teach Herbie that there's no need to bark at the mop or the brush, that theyare just normal things around him, not things to excite him.  So far it seems to be working  ;)

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »
This is just what puppies do, you should hear it when I have a litter with 7 pups, now that's noisy!  I don't stop them, they play, they bark they make one heck of a noise, but soon settle down.  The more you try to stop them they more they will do it because they are getting a reaction from you!
[snapback]143187[/snapback]

So this is when they are less than 8 weeks?  If you've kept one of the puppies, have they continued to bark during play wtih their mother, or does she do someting to teach them to stop it? :)

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »

I've simply used water with puppies. I splash water at them  from a bottle,  and when they shut up I give a treat and tell them how good they are :).
[snapback]143178[/snapback]

:)  Thanks.  I will give this a go.  :)

Penel

Barking When Playing
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 05:55:52 PM »
Then when you come to try and hose them off, they'll be scared of being splashed with water because its been used as a punishment.... careful of water spraying...

Offline PennyB

Barking When Playing
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »
This is just what puppies do, you should hear it when I have a litter with 7 pups, now that's noisy!  I don't stop them, they play, they bark they make one heck of a noise, but soon settle down.  The more you try to stop them they more they will do it because they are getting a reaction from you!
[snapback]143187[/snapback]

LOL, yes know what you mean and I've only got 2 cockers and 2 terrier x pups in the house (now terrorists can bark) at the moment.

I also agree that its not constant and they soon all settle down.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Barking When Playing
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 06:02:25 PM »

I couldn't do it  :(  - I'd feel too mean, stopping their fun just for a bit of peace and quiet  :ph34r:

When Molo was little, he only had the energy for short bursts of play - then he'd crash out to sleep again for a couple of hours.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »

I couldn't do it  :(  - I'd feel too mean, stopping their fun just for a bit of peace and quiet  :ph34r:

When Molo was little, he only had the energy for short bursts of play - then he'd crash out to sleep again for a couple of hours.
[snapback]143200[/snapback]

I don't want to stop their fun ... certainly don't think I'd be capable of doing that  :) , I just want Herbie to learn that it's not good manners to bark constantly whilst playing.  Molly doesn't do it, neither does any other dog I've ever had, do it.

I'd much rather teach him not to bark whilst playing now, while he's little and keen to learn so much and please so much.  

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2005, 06:24:56 PM »
Then when you come to try and hose them off, they'll be scared of being splashed with water because its been used as a punishment.... careful of water spraying...
[snapback]143197[/snapback]

I see your point with that  :unsure:  although don't imagine being splashed with water is something a spaniel would really hate or be fearful of.

Penel

Barking When Playing
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »
Been there done that.  Tilly HATES water because I squirted her with it when she was a puppy for rolling in fox poo. :(  I shouldn't have done that - but someone told me to and I thought it would be ok.
she still rolls in poo, and now she hates water.

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
Barking When Playing
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2005, 08:45:58 PM »
Been there done that.  Tilly HATES water because I squirted her with it when she was a puppy for rolling in fox poo. :(  I shouldn't have done that - but someone told me to and I thought it would be ok.
she still rolls in poo, and now she hates water.
[snapback]143206[/snapback]

:(  It's' sad that she hates water.  We live near the sea and we have a big pond opposite our house so Herbie will be exposed to swimming as soon as he feels confident enough, and I really hope he will like the water.

Some dogs when squirted with water, would actually love it and turn and try to catch the water, so maybe it was just bad luck with Tilly.

I've squirted cats with a water pistol before now... or rather I bought a pump action water pistol to give to a new neighbour and asked them to squirt my cats if they saw them  :lol: , because they had 2 lurchers who do chase cats.