Author Topic: What Colour  (Read 15845 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 09:48:49 PM »
Ohhh lucky you Karen  ;) xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »
:D  :D  :D we think that they are sable.
 karen a lucky lucky girl i wish my husband would let me have one  :D  :D  :D
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
What Colour
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 11:02:20 PM »
Found this on the cocker spaniel club website.  Don't know if it's any use:

Tiger Striping , that is bands of black and red or golden sometimes occur as isolated "mistakes" in the message translated between the gene for colour to the colour actually distributed throughout the dog's skin and body coat. This pattern cannot reproduce itself and so cannot be recognised as a colour  that can be selectively bred for by even by inbreeding. It would not be regarded as an acceptable colour in the show ring. Tiger striping is quite different to the tan masking and trim gene expressed in the black and tan, for example. It is also different to the brindle pattern expressed in some breeds. It occurs as areas of black and red/golden contained within the main body colour of the dog. It is in effect a fluke of nature.

They are beautiful whatever they are  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What Colour
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2005, 11:09:29 PM »
:D  :D  :D we think that they are sable.
[snapback]143398[/snapback]
But sables aren't really stripey like these pups & there's no sable in the pedigree ;) Whatever, I wouldn't like to be the breeder choosing what colour to register this litter :lol:

Jane
Jane

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 11:16:18 PM »
Thanks for finding out about tiger striping.
I have e-mail someone with sable pupppies she said They sure are not black & tans, could be liver & tan or maybe sable. Looking only at the coat I would say sable but the face do not look like a sable at all. Sable once came from a mating with black & tan and white and orange. So everything is possible... :blink:

I am going to e-mail her when the pups are 7/8 weeks old to see the change. :)
 i think dad has all colours in his pedigree so it could be look.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2005, 02:09:24 AM »
Sable to me is gold with a black back, how could they be sable if they have obvious tan markings?  :unsure:
Cayley.

Offline kookie

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2005, 06:57:23 AM »
I don't really care, they're beautiful and one of them is MINE!!
But it would be nice if they are sable.

Could anyone possibly pm me Pam Walkers contact details, It would be interesting to see what she has to say.

Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What Colour
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 09:01:26 AM »
Could anyone possibly pm me Pam Walkers contact details, It would be interesting to see what she has to say.
[snapback]143403[/snapback]
I will PM you Pam's contact details & I'm sure she'll confirm these aren't sables. All the sables in Europe & Scandinavia descend from one line that can be traced back to just one dog exported to the US in the 60s or 70s. Sable in Cockers acts as a dominant gene not like a simple recessive that can stay hidden for generations & pop out so am pretty sure this pedigree does not have sable ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline kookie

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2005, 02:59:41 PM »
Apparently, there is some of Pam Walkers breeding in there somewhere, I'm to send her some pics, and a copy of the ped and she is interested in having a look. She said, sable can be thrown up anywhere depending on the lineage and the colours used, eg choc and orange roan, prob got the colour combination wrong, but she said is isnt impossible, and that they do sound like sable, or have a bit of sable going on. Might not be true sable in the true sense of the word, but still it is possible. Sometimes they dont come into full colour till they are as much as 2 years old.

She is showing 2 sable pups at Stonely Park on sunday, think I might have to have a little look.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
Apparently, there is some of Pam Walkers breeding in there somewhere, I'm to send her some pics, and a copy of the ped and she is interested in having a look. She said, sable can be thrown up anywhere depending on the lineage and the colours used, eg choc and orange roan, prob got the colour combination wrong, but she said is isnt impossible, and that they do sound like sable, or have a bit of sable going on. Might not be true sable in the true sense of the word, but still it is possible. Sometimes they dont come into full colour till they are as much as 2 years old.

She is showing 2 sable pups at Stonely Park on sunday, think I might have to have a little look.
[snapback]143475[/snapback]

i don't think it matters about colour if you love yours then no problem.i think they are sooo beautiful i would love to have one too.

Offline kookie

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2005, 04:01:13 PM »
Yes, I know, She's gonna be gorrrrrrrrrgeous and she's gonna be called Daisy! :wub:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What Colour
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 04:33:49 PM »
i don't think it matters about colour if you love yours then no problem.
[snapback]143481[/snapback]
I don't think anyone is saying that there is a problem with the colour - it's just a really interesting subject :)  What Pam W says is interesting too as if sable can crop up anytime with certain colour combinations, it seems strange that none have been registered in the UK apart from the recent litter by her imported sable dog. I wish one of the geneticists would update their books to include sable inheritance as there seems to be a lot of different opinions out there although most seem to agree that it is dominant ie a sable dog will produce sable pups to bitches that do not have the sable gene in their lines.

Jane
Jane

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2005, 04:39:11 PM »
Yes, I know, She's gonna be gorrrrrrrrrgeous and she's gonna be called Daisy! :wub:
[snapback]143482[/snapback]
B) Awww another Daisy ........my Daisy sends your little one a BIIIIGGG hug  :wub: xxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
What Colour
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2005, 06:19:54 PM »
Here is a piccy of an adult Sable!

www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline susanne

• Site Member
What Colour
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2005, 07:25:09 PM »
Hello, i am the breeder of the sire of this litter, the sire comes from my tri colour bitch - Flamingo Tan about Town and black sire partner - Colibra Blackest Jet whom I also owned.  I have never seen this striping before and have not heard of any pups from any of my litters producing this colour - surely a one off.
Also a note to the lady suggesting 'puppy farming' in the past generation - certainly not to my knowledge , I am acutely aware of the background to my dogs and I most certainly hope that this is wrong.

Best of luck to Sara with her unusual litter.