Author Topic: Should a breeder always give you the KC names of the Dam and Sire if requested  (Read 2575 times)

Offline martinm

Hi

I recently contacted a breeder who had advertised a recent litter and I enquired about the KC names for the Dam and the Sire as they where listed as being pedigree but the seller doesn't seem willing to provide that information (they have answered all my other questions, but the KC one just gets ignored).

I'm assuming that there is nothing sensitive about the KC names and the seller should always be willing to share that information with a potential buyer.

Am I right to think again that something aint right?
Thanks

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
The litter can be pedigree but not KC registered.  If you want them KC registered then insist on them giving you the information.  There are plenty of litters out there that are KC registered and the owners have done all the relevant health tests.  A reputable breeder would/should provide KC names if they are registered and from there you would be able to look them up on the Kennel Club site and see if they have had the necessary health tests.
Good luck with your search.  :D
On looking at your other query, it seems that you have already looked up the mother’s previous breeding  history on the Kennel Club site, so are you now asking for the sire’s Kennel Club registered name or is it a completely different litter you are enquiring about?
From my own experience I have found that some breeders mislead (lie) about their puppies  >:D. Take your time as the new addition will hopefully be with you a very long time.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
If the breeder cannot share KC registered names of sire and dam then safe to assume they are not KC registered. Personally I would never advise anyone to buy from someone who is breeding from non KC registered stock. If in doubt you can go the Kennel Club website, find the Health Results Finder and input the names of sire and dam when you get them (before you buy!). If they don't appear then they are probably not registered. This site will also show health test results for named and registered dogs.

Offline martinm

The litter can be pedigree but not KC registered.  If you want them KC registered then insist on them giving you the information.  There are plenty of litters out there that are KC registered and the owners have done all the relevant health tests.  A reputable breeder would/should provide KC names if they are registered and from there you would be able to look them up on the Kennel Club site and see if they have had the necessary health tests.
Good luck with your search.  :D
On looking at your other query, it seems that you have already looked up the mother’s previous breeding  history on the Kennel Club site, so are you now asking for the sire’s Kennel Club registered name or is it a completely different litter you are enquiring about?
From my own experience I have found that some breeders mislead (lie) about their puppies  >:D. Take your time as the new addition will hopefully be with you a very long time.

The details on the litter listed the parents as Pedigree, I assumed that to be pedigree that you had to be KC registered. Maybe they aren't KC after all, it does say that both parents are health tested but no details. I think I will give it a miss on this one as well :-)

Like you say there is no rush and the right puppy will come along eventually

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
I think you are doing the right thing.  The right puppy will come along   :luv:
When I wanted a new addition to my black girl, I really wanted a liver boy.  All the litters available seemed to just have liver girls and I became disheartened.  I got in touch with the breeder of my girl’s sire and asked him if he knew of any puppies sired by his dogs.  A couple of weeks later he got in touch but it was a gold boy.  I felt awful for rejecting him because of his colour but another few weeks later, I was put in touch with a breeder who had had a litter that very day.  There was only one liver boy and I was given first option.  SO I have had photos of Ned since day one and seen him grow with his mum and litter mates.   He is now 9 months old and I feel truly blessed as he is a lovely chilled kind gentle boy.
Your pup will come along.   :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Maybe sometimes the parents are from pedigree parents themselves but the breeder does not want to go through the flaff (and expense) of registering them with the Kennel Club. So in situations like that you get the certainty (theoretically) that the pup is what is claimed (size, health tested etc) but not the hassle yourself of registering him/her in your name either. I guess if you are not going to show or breed from the pup/dog you chose and want them for a companion dog?, but they should be cheaper than a fully kennel club registered pup I would have thought.

I imagine the breeder can get the parents health tested for various complaints/problems whether they are Kennel Club registered or not?.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline russ-g

I must admit I was incredibly naive when we bought Stanley. I had no idea about all this KC stuff and we bought him from a breeder which we just took on face value. Everything is fine and Stanley is happy and healthy, so, sometimes things can work out fine even when all the boxes aren't ticked.