Author Topic: Famous Kennel Names For Working Cockers?  (Read 14157 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Famous Kennel Names For Working Cockers?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 10:56:40 PM »
Check out Edward Martins cockers, he has a stunning black stud called Roly, and his dogs are beautiful to watch work
sealpin
if you track down to Roly's mum Flex you will see a lovely golden bitch a bit like yours
here

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 01:25:16 AM »
Hi all - seems like ages since Ive been on - my old boy (all Jordieland bred) nearly 15 yrs old is in the advanced stage of chronic renal failure and am spending a lot of time nursing him.
Anyway

''Ch & Ft Ch is a dual champion''
can I add to the above. A CH is a gundog (or border collie) who has won 3 ccs in the ring , the last one over the age of 12 months and is a SH CH  who then goes onto prove they have working ability by obtaining their show gundog working certificate (the border collie does a sheepdog test) and therefore drops the 'SH' part.
A FT CH is a dog who wins 2 FT certificates or the championship (so in effect wins 2 as has to qualify for the championship by winning 1 ft to run and then gains another ft certificate by running)
a Dual Champion of which I think there are only 2 gundogs alive with this title - the gordon setter Dual Ch Amscott Irresista Belle and the pointer Dual Ch Fowington Slezak? I think, is the title to describe a dog with both the titles of FT CH and CH.
In working pedigrees, you often see the initiasl FTW Field Trial Winner. This is not however printed on the pedigrees the KC issues as they wouldnt print CC winner on a pedigree either unless the dog goes on to be titled. I have noticed though that sometimes the KC software seems to go a bit weird and print FT CH FT CH infront of a dogs name instead of just the one set of FT CH. Dont know why.

There are many pockets of working cockers enthusiasts who do not compete with their dogs - thinking of gamekeepers, rough shooters etc. They do not have the time or money and probably not the inclination as bit of a funny game the trialling world - politics etc, which is a shame but when the older gen drop out there will be less competition and maybe thats the way some want it. To me, I personally value their dogs more as these are biddable dogs who in the main live as part of the family with kids etc but can go out day after day for hours on end and be there when needed. Taking this back into the equation of why you can get generations of dogs without any titles, this is a common scenario - good honest dog gets used at stud, gamekeeper takes a son back from a litter as dog gets older etc etc. I could improve the look of my pups pedigrees at stroke by trotting down to the nearest FT CH and putting red ink through the pedigree but Ive got to be honest and say that I look at whats behind the sire and behind that too. I have a blank spot where I wasnt active for about 6 yrs and asked mikes advice on the dogs 2 and 3rd gen in a pedigree as I knew the animals behind them but didnt know the more recent ones. I think it depends on how much you know/want to know and what you are trying to achieve. I certainly wont rule out using a FT CH and I have my eye on a long trip to bristol to use a FT CH in the future on one of mine. I think a healthy balance is for me - a bit of red ink shows some dogs in the lines have been tested and performed under trial conditions but Im not going to get an ulcer because my pedigrees dont show x number of FT CH. The actual dog and his breeding are more important. However, like all breeds, there are many dogs without many FT CH in their pedigrees as they have been bred for the mass market , without any thought given to the blend of their breeding or end aim of improvement to the breed and needless to say they are of no interest to serious enthusiasts of the breed.

Im not prepared to comment publically on a particular dog for obvious reasons - but if anyone wants to pm me..Trouble is, I know my own personal preferences tend to cloud the picture...However, I believe FT CH Mallowdale rackatear is dead. He was a very popular stud dog as is his son FT CH Danderw Druid and his son FT CH Chyknell Gold Star.

One problem is finding stud dogs with health tests. Many working breeders are dead set against them, know nothing (and dont want to know anything) about genetic mode of inheritance, etc. That I find very depressing.

Mikes book is very good - it does not give all the really older FT CH's though from the first trial onwards. Yours trully hopes to redress the balance soon...and I do like hedleys book too.

Anahar - the Douglas's from N of Scotland own this affix - Mike Smith commented on how their blood had shown up in my litters as the mismarked faces were common in the Anahars. He lives just 2 miles along the road.  I have 2 sisters - diff litters but same breeding who both have pirate faces. Didnt keep them for that reason but every other pup was beautifully marked if parti and the solids had only the tiniest patch -= a few hairs on their chest of white as many show solids do.
Tayburn Cockle - ownd by the Douglas;s - behind the Anahar lines
Laighpark - old lines - often intertwined with the Jordielands
Craig felin - still on the go
Rowston - still on the go - Dai Ormond
Jordieland - the late great jack Windle - the Jordielands despite the connotation that it may be a Newcastle affix, is SW Scotland. Seems to be a love them or hate them divide in the breed. Many are quick to decry these dogs but havent been around long enough to know of them. My personal favourites - not always the fastest by todays standards and had their known faults as all dogs do - interesting that many had pirate faces too. Strong tendency to produce true lemon and white dogs - the palest of lemon which would disappear into their thick coats in the winter and they looked creamy white and then come the spring moult the finer summer coat would come through with the roaning much more noticeable. Lovely dark eyes and I found them so intelligent that I have almost a telepathic relationship with them. My younger dogs, although old breeding, I really dont have this with them but with my bought in pup with the strong Jordieland influence going back to my old dogs dam on the sires side, I am finding once again that I am getting this with her. She does display some of the known quirks of this breeding as I would expect. Very difficult if not impossible to find a cocker descended from Jordieland that hasnt had other lines mixed in with it now since the death of the owner. Myself and some other enthusiasts of this strain are raking the country to try and find any hidden gems tucked away in the back of a landrover..

Bella x Silvan - both are what I woulod descibe as red - esp the dog - almost mahogany red. I think you would get reds with poss some white on blaze or chest but JaneS is the best person to advise you on that I think!!
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 09:41:40 AM »
thanks so much for your post kirsten

- we have the prodigy of a gamekeepers bitch, and i have to admit, we made no effort to look into jarvis's pedigree when we decided on one of the pups.  we knew that jess (mum) was a fantastic dog, very biddable, great 'shape' and knew that the owner (who is very proud of his dogs) would not breed with an inferior stud...and that's it.  i'm only now looking into his heritage, and yes there is a fair bit of 'ft ch' back in jarvis's pedigree but to be honest we would be happy with none at all.  he's a fantastic puppy, even at the 'kevin' stage...

really impressed with your knowledge, and can't wait for a book?  when can i order it????

helen

ps really sorry to hear about your old boy, gentle hugs to him.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 10:51:50 AM »
Thankyou Kirsten for your reply it was very informative. I haven't got my heart set on using a FT CH stud on Bella, it's just I don't want to use a stud that's not any good due to my not knowing the characteristics of dogs from certain lines. It seems that a FT CH who shares similar lines to Bella would be the most safe bet, because the dog has proven working ability and will be pretty similar to Bella in shape and behaviour. I just want to find the best, most compatible dog for Bella, the union of which should hopefully produce beautiful pups who will make wonderful, healthy working examples of the cocker breed.
Thankyou for your information on all those breed line affixes, it's really helping me to get clued up on what's what  :)
I've now got Mike Smiths book and I think it's wonderful! Thankyou for recommending it  :D

I'm so sorry to her about your old chap, it must be so awful to see such a loyal and loved friend slipping away  :(  Lots of hugs from me, and I'm sure he's very grateful for your close attention and nursing keeping him comfortable, he knows he is dearly loved.

Best wishes Mary

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 02:53:22 PM »
thx all - Jaffa is not really eating now - he will take weetabix with puppy milk but I know there is no good outcome and I keep hoping that he will just go in his sleep but I think I will have to make the decision sooner or later...Still - he still has fight in his eyes so not ready yet. very weak and has an amputated forelimb due to cancer when he was 10 so doesnt help with him getting about. If he wants help he just stops and looks at me for a carry - he;'s no weight at all now - he was a 17kg dog in his younger days but must be down to about 12/13kg now. Main thing is all the other dogs take care not to bump him, even the pups - one of whom will be 1 yr tomorrow - Lorne Lobster Quadrille so cant call her a pup after then , He is happy to lie in his chair and watch the world going by with his old friend my Welsh Springer who is getting very old and wobbly now too. She needs the odd hand too!!

mary - I personally think Gusty Silvan fufils your criteria and I wish I had a girl suitable to put to him myself!! A book - will be well into next year at this rate!! I have a business one to finish off and then start this one although I have most of the material gathered together . Its just time - have started working earlier ungodly hours at my paid work as so busy but still means even with increase in hours I still finish around 1pm so thats fine and dogs get good run in afternoon while still daylight.

Please feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with - might take a few days to get back to you though :)
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 03:18:42 PM »
Thankyou for your reply Kirsten, I hope Jaffa and your Welsh Springer stay with you for as long as they can, they're clearly living a slow paced, comfortable, warm and loving way of life. I can't imagine a nicer environment for an ageing dog to be in. I hope when Bella gets old I'll be able to devote as much time and care to her as you do to your dogs.

I think Gusty Silvan is the right stud for Bella, he's my favourite.
How do you go about enquiring about getting him for stud? We won't get Bella mated for at least another year but how does one go about asking for Gustys services?  :rolleyes:

Best wishes Mary

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 10:33:22 PM »
Best to either phone them and provisonally ask about stud services. Have a copy of Bella's 5 gen pedigree to hand, or email them the enquiry again typing in her pedigree. I would make it clear that you do not intend to mate her for a year though and it is just a provisional enquiry for a yes/no answer - just thinking this time of year being working and FT season he may well be all over the country at this time and might throw them into a bit of a panic. Remember to ask if they will give a free return stud service next season if Bella doesnt take. They dont have to but would be nice if they do. I dont know what the stud fee will be - £200 is normal for a good working dog maybe FTW. FT CH will be around the £300 mark I think.

If that is all OK I would say that you will contact them on the first day of her season that you intend to mate her to give them at least 12ish days notice (and remind them that you spoke to them a year ago and they agreed the service) and after that give them a phone when she is almost ready to finalise day time etc.

HTH

K
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »
kirsten - although i would never wish this on any dog, my fingers are crossed jaffa will pass gently in his sleep at home with the people and dogs he loves - the 'decision', although kind, is the hardest one to face.

gentle hugs to jaffa and your elderly welsh lady,

helen
helen & jarvis x

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »
Lorne Justin (Jaffa) 18/4/1991-30/11/2005. PTS to prevent further suffering. I am devasted.
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 09:18:22 PM »
my heartfelt sympathy
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 09:18:48 PM »
I'm so sorry Kirsten :(  Treasure the memories of a very special boy :wub:

Take care
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 09:22:51 PM »
So very sorry  :(

Thinking of you..xx
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 10:30:52 PM »
i'm so sorry to hear this news about your beautiful boy, and my heartfelt sympathy to you that you had to make 'that' decision - it is so incredibly difficult yet is the most loving thing you could have done for jaffa.

hugs to all,

sleep tight lovely boy

helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry  :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »
You must be devasted - it's an awful descision to have to make, but you were thinking of your baby, not yourself.

Take care J