Author Topic: How Often To Bath?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
Re: How Often To Bath?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »
I bath Holly about once a month depending on how smelly she is but I quite often just shower her down with plain water if she is too muddy to leave to dry. I use a puppy shampoo and conditioner called squirt from pets at home and she smells and looks great and have had no problem with coat.

Offline Sue Metcalfe

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »
Bramble had a bath on Friday night and up until walk yesterday afternoon was looking and smelling and smelling lovely.  However, when we got home I couldn't figure out where the odd fishy smell was coming from.  No prizes for guessing ... she now smells like Billingsgate fish market on a bad day  :shades:.  Now I know what she was up to when she dropped behind, endulging in a light fish snack courtesy of someone's rubbish no doubt  >:D.  She stinks so it'll be bath number two after her walk later on - groan :rofl1:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 04:43:04 PM »
Daisy has a bath as and when she needs one - more frequent in the winter, especially when we have been in the forest and she stinks (like she does now!)

One thing I would say I have always been told only to use dog specific shampoo and conditioner - apprently their skin is a different ph to our's and using our stuff on them can upset the skin. 

Daisy is going in the shower tonigh as our boiler broke down last night  ph34r  not sure what she'll make of that, but I have delegated that particular job to Chris  :005: :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 06:18:42 PM »
One thing I would say I have always been told only to use dog specific shampoo and conditioner - apprently their skin is a different ph to our's and using our stuff on them can upset the skin. 

I learnt this the hard way - I was using L'oreal Kids shampoo for curly hair on Molo, and he developed terrible dandruff  ph34r - so I will stick to doggy shampoo from now on  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
Max (working type ) had really bad dandruff and we had used loads of different dog shampoos until we read somewhere on col about using head and shoulders- he's bathed about 2-3 times a month and his coat is now nice and soft and there is no dandruff, he also smells clean for a lot longer than he did with some other the other shampoos. :D

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
  • I'm comfy and I'm not budging!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
I use that now too after Lise recommended it to me!  I only have a working cocker so he doesn't need much but it makes him smell gorgeous!

I bath bailey around once a month, or whenever he gets really muddy from a walk!

Could you send me a link to these products - I had a quick look on HUB International but couldn't find them.  I'm having to bathe Teddy about weekly at the moment, and was wondering about conditioner too and something that makes him smell nice would be a bonus!
Karen and Teddy

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
With the weather the way its is, ours get bathed about once a fortnight but it has been once a week sometimes. Depends where they have been.

When we picked them up from kennels last time, they had been bathed the night before, then we took them out for a really good run, they got really wet and very muddy, so another bath was needed. THis doesn't happen very often.

I have just bought shampoo from crufts, one for black coats and once for white (Solid blac and orange roan cockers!).

Anita

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
It depends really.....particularly if Lottie finds some delicately smelling fox poo to roll in ::) :o

I'd say on avereage about every 2 to 3 weeks.

I use the baby dog shampoo and conditioner cos it makes her smell lovely :luv:

I use Ice on Ice spray on coat conditioner when I groom her.

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »

I don't beleive in washing with shampoo; i think my dogs might get shapooed when they get clipped, but this is all they get. They are very competant at getting cirt out of the accesible areas of their coats, and u can always scrub anything else. I think it's better to let nature do it it's own way myself!!

Sam
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »
I think it's better to let nature do it it's own way myself!!

I have done this in the past with other dogs, but Molo is of show lines, with a show coat, and it just doesn't clean the same way as my previous dogs have - he stays yellow-tinged and smelly, so I shampoo about once a month or so in the winter :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »

I don't beleive in washing with shampoo; i think my dogs might get shapooed when they get clipped, but this is all they get. They are very competant at getting cirt out of the accesible areas of their coats, and u can always scrub anything else. I think it's better to let nature do it it's own way myself!!

Sam

Mine both whiff to high heavn after rolling in mud, fox pee, etc, no way could I live with the stench ph34r
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16:21 PM »
I agree the long show coats get wiffy if you leave them for too long! Milo gets a piddly smelling willy if you leave it for too long PONG!!!! And Nance has a habit of standing under Milo when he is cocking his leg and then she gets piddly ears. Regular baths are essential round here!!!! :005:  :005:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »
Daisy can get a bit stinky, especially if she has been paddling in nasty stagnant water pools (seems to be one of her favourite pastimes  :005:)

However,  we have discovered that after about 3 weeks you no longer notice the stink  ph34r :005: :005: :005:  Dont seem to get half so  many visitors either  ;) ;)

Daisy is about 2 weeks over due a bath (her white bits aren't!) but our boiler is still playing up so she seems to be on a permanent reprieve  ::)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »
non-dog shampoo's can strip the oil from their fur, so it is best to use doggy hair 'products' ...

stagnant stinky mud is a permanent fixture on a certain mud-brown young man.... :005:  he is rinsed off daily to get the worst off and then bathed about once a fortnight...

sarahp with your boiler problems is this a 'like mother like daughter situation??' :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

just KIDDING!!! hope it all gets back to hot water normal asap for you ;) xx
helen & jarvis x

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2006, 07:55:18 PM »

sarahp with your boiler problems is this a 'like mother like daughter situation??' :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

just KIDDING!!! hope it all gets back to hot water normal asap for you ;) xx

ph34r ph34r ph34r :rofl1: