Author Topic: Free Broadband Forever?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Free Broadband Forever?
« on: April 12, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, sorry if its the wrong place ;)

Just wondered what you guys thought of the Free Broadband Forever deal with Talk Talk, I heard a snippit on the radio and have had a look on their website and I am tempted, is it a too good to be true offer though?  Anyone had and experience of their BB, is it reliable? 

Heres the info

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-LLU-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.TESTHUB

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Re: Free Broadband Forever?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 11:25:36 PM »
I'd be tempted but the limit of 40GB would be no good for me, mines unlimited and I like it that way  :shades:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:46:42 AM »
Not for us - we're part of the 30% where its not available  :-\

I think it is the next step in the market - it wasn't that many years ago that dial up was only available for a monthly fee; when Pay as You Go dial up was introduced everyone I knew thought it would be "to good to be true" (IT techies are pessimists  ;))

In a few years time, *free* broadband will be the norm I expect - and about time too  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »
Our friends in Hershey, Pennsylvania now have city wide broadband access! That's cool. And free!

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:06:02 PM »
It sounds good and it's available in our area. . . You also get nectar points I see. It's an 18 month contract though . . .

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:15:31 PM »
We're considering changing our talk talk package to this new one, but just wondered what everyone else has at the moment, any recommendations?
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »
We're considering changing our talk talk package to this new one, but just wondered what everyone else has at the moment, any recommendations?

How long does it tie you in for, Cheryl? The business advice on the TV this morning seemed to be to wait, as now one company is offering this, within a few months, there will be ever better offers available  ;)

We don't have a BT line, which I think is why the site shows us as not eligible  ::) Have you done a price comparison with Wight Cable? they were recently named the best value cable company in the UK (they are independant from any of the big national companies) - we get a telephone/broadband deal from them, but you can get the TV as well...... :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:01:45 PM »
I have had Talk Talk telephone for ages and it has been fine.  I have signed up for the new deal, kind of on impulse yesterday when I walked by a shop.  I looked at a few reviews of Talk Talk Broadband after signing up for it.  I know, I know you should read the reviews first.......anyway a few were lukewarm and some were bad.   I will see how it goes and will keep you posted.  I don't think it will be up and running for me before May.

A friend of mine has been using it for a while and thinks they are okay too.
Rhona and Sam

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 05:02:53 PM »
I know it's a favourite site of Emma's and mine  ;), MoneySavingExpert have now covered the TalkTalk3 package.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »
We wouldn't use TalkTalk again, complete waste of time  ::).
Cayley.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:57:12 PM »

I'm looking into changing my ISP and read up on a few forums about Talk Talk and there was a lot of negativity re their customer sevice, also a lot of complaints about the frequency of losing connection. If they are having problems already it makes me wonder how they'll be able to cope with the increased demand generated by their new offer. 18 months seems a long contract to be tied to, especially as there's likely to be a price war with their competitors trying to prevent their customers jumping ship for Talk Talk. Another downside is the fact they throttle ports during peak times, so if you use P2P/Bit Torrent then you wouldn't get full download speeds except during the night time. A shame really, as on the surface it looks like a really good deal.  :-\

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
I know it's a favourite site of Emma's and mine  ;), MoneySavingExpert have now covered the TalkTalk3 package.

Thanks Michele, I had missed that thread completely :005:

Thanks for the advise, not sure what to do, we don't download anything, so would never reach the limit, but would get annoyed if I kept losing connection :-\  Might wait a few weeks, see if anyone else comes up with a good deal ;)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 06:52:26 PM »

Emma - I agree, it is hard to know what to do, it seems no matter which ISP I look into there are negative comments about them. I suppose it's the nature of forums, people will post if they have a problem and are less inclined to do so if all is going smoothly. Although on the ADSLguide site Talk Talk doesn't rate too highly either for quality of service, speed or customer service - it's down there with Tiscali (my current ISP ) who are crap !  :lol:

Another reason there is likely to be a price war is that soon BT will have the 22 year long Ofcom restrictions lifted that currently prevent them competing with rivals on an equal footing price-wise. I think the best thing is to sit tight for a bit and see what happens, it will also be interesting to see how Talk Talk's new customers rate the new service when they get it.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the advise, not sure what to do, we don't download anything, so would never reach the limit, but would get annoyed if I kept losing connection :-\  Might wait a few weeks, see if anyone else comes up with a good deal ;)

Even if you don't download music and games - every webpage you view is technically "downloaded" so even the COL pages, with the smilies and pictures, will start to clock up the Kb.......

Our Cable Company has just been bought out by its own Management - we're gonig to wait and see what happens, but may start to look at the different offers available  I would never got for a capped limit though..... :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 09:41:48 PM »
Nor me  :005: my download limit would be reached VERY quickly  :lol: