Author Topic: Best Advice  (Read 2635 times)

Offline ali

• Site Member
Re: Best Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 10:52:58 PM »
gosh yes! barkley's only 5 1/2 months old but i'd already forgotten about how bad my hands got when he first arrived! they were so sore and red from all the washing, and probably also slightly reacting to spending so much time stroking my gorgeous pup. :) and i'm sure my pupils thought i must be starting to self-harm with all the scratches i had down my arms from his claws (which quickly got better with some mad running about on the patio). such fun! ;)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 12:43:28 AM »
I've had three puppies. One is now 2 1/2, the other is 1 and our cocker puppy is 11 weeks.  Its amazing how quickly you forget what having a young puppy is like!

Firstly, never get Beau out of his crate when he's crying. Be it at night or during the day. If you do he will always cry to get your attention, even long after the crate has gone! When he's crying in his crate don't even speak to him as he won't know what your saying he'll just see it as attention.
If he is crying alot in his crate and can't settle try covering the cage with a blanket or the like, leaving on end uncovered a bit for air to circulate.

Set boundries straight away, cute puppy behaviour is not cute when he's an adult!

Start training on day 1. Start with the basics, sit, down, stand etc. Its amazing how quickly they learn.

This weekend my friend who's a dog trainer, told me to spend alot of time ensuring that Barney doesn't become possesive of food/toys. She said cute cocker puppies often become possesive of such things as its funny when they're puppies but it can be a real problem later.  I sometimes stroke Barney when he's having his dinner. I also put my hand in his bowl, adding some extra biscuits and stirring it with my hand while he's eating. I've also taught him to give. So sometimes when we're playing with a toy I ask him to give it in return for a treat then I give him the toy straight back. I do the same with high value treats.  Starting this from day 1 and continue it every day should hopefully eliminate possesiveness issues.

Having a puppy can sometimes be frustrating. Remember to remain chilled out and take everything in your stride.  This is something I've learned.  I got very stressed with my first puppy, I'm very much more chilled now.

Remember to keep everything positive.

Finally, remember COL! I wish I'd have had this resource when I got my first puppy! Get lots of sleep before Friday, you might have a few sleepless nights to begin with!

Good luck, I'm sure you're very excited.  Remember to post lots of pics please!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline banjodav

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 08:06:06 AM »
Dont spend a fortune on doggy toys.  My little Jess enjoys the cardboard roll from kitchen roll much better than any of the toys we had bought her. 
barry and jess

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 01:42:33 PM »
Thank you all so much for your 'best advice'.   I hadn't given much thought to all the handwashing so have put handcream on my shopping list along with even more paper towels... :005:

Dont spend a fortune on doggy toys. 

Oops, it may be too late  ph34r

I will, of course, post pictures when Beau comes home  :D
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »
Hi Rebecca,

I think the best advice I got after the event was get lots of sleep before the pup arrives, you need real stamina in those first few weeks!

Good luck with the gorgeous Beau, not long to go!  :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 06:48:53 PM »
Good luck with the gorgeous Beau, not long to go!  :D

Thanks Claire  :D

Only three 'sleeps' to go  :lol: (not that we're counting or anything  :005: )
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »
Alfie is now almost 6 months old, I can't believe how quickly it's gone, my fat wee puppy is now a very sturdy "proper dog"... I think the best advice that I could have been given is to remember that he's just a baby and he will learn eventually.. be it toilet training, play biting, chewing etc. etc.... all things we had some issues with with Alfie and many times I felt like we were going round in circles and never getting anywhere but we have "got there" with all of them with a lot of patience and perseverance. I have to admit though, he has been an incredibly good puppy and on many occasions OH and I have said that we can't believe how lucky we've been with him... I'm now just waiting for adolescence to hit and for him to turn into a wee  >:D overnight!  :lol:

Good luck with your new baby, can't wait to see lots of pics of him  :luv: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 08:29:39 PM »
Tranquilisers (for you) and this website!  I didn't have the tranquilisers but did find COL within a week or two :lol:  I also agree with the photos - Ben looks so grown up at 11 months and I love to look back at the puppy pics - just wish I'd taken more!

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
Cardboard boxes. You just can't beat them (or we can't) for value for (no) money and enjoyment! Clive spends literally hours playing on / in / around / under them and then when he's finally had enough of them, he chews them to pieces I put them in the bin and we start again with another. Best thing I ever found for him.

Plus I get so much out of watching him play with a box - sounds sad I know but really he loves it so much and it occupies him happily by himself which is a joy in itself! 
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 10:35:41 PM »
... I'm now just waiting for adolescence to hit and for him to turn into a wee  >:D overnight!  :lol:

I'm sure he'll surprise you and be an  :angel: instead!

Plus I get so much out of watching him play with a box - sounds sad I know but really he loves it so much and it occupies him happily by himself which is a joy in itself! 

It's not sad at all!  In fact it's rather sweet and I'm def. going to get a box tomorrow so we can be 'sad' too  :005:
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 11:21:37 PM »
remember those sharp little piranah teeth. they bite through wires in a second. sasha soon had us offline. bit the end off my mobile charger and a host of other things. very dangerous if plugged in. also they are not to kind on your hands either, be prepared for a lot of mouthing.it lasts a while. but most of all enjoy your puppy they are great little guys you cant help but love em even when they are >:D
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 08:01:51 AM »
Enjoy your time but remember that they are only a puppy and doing puppy things. They are not being naughty but simply exploring the boundries. Stock up on wine and be prepared for the un-expected with a Cocker puppy.

One thing I have noticed is they tend to go through phases very fast, one minute they might be tripping you up with chewing your shoe laces and hanging off the bottom of your trouser leg then the next they never touch your laces and you dont realise they no longer do it and you kind of miss it even tho at the time it drive you mad.

They do have very sharp teeth so always have a toy to stuff in their mouths as soon as they put their teeth on your hands, toes or ankles.

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »
Just to let you know that he's home and completely adorable  :luv:

Thanks for all the advice, I've taken it all on board and I'll let you know in a few days how we get on  :D

Off to the vets for his first jab this morning - I feel guilty already!
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »
So glad he's home and the wait is over. ENJOY.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 10:18:51 PM »
Its such an exciting time! Enjoy your little man.

Hope the vets visit went ok.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing what he gets up to!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)