Author Topic: Stud info  (Read 2007 times)

Offline fuzzball

• Site Member
Re: Stud info
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:42:32 PM »
No i didnt know that i'd have to share with the rehoming the pup's. See these are things i'm wanting to know as i know theres so much i need to know. I have thought about the change in behaviour as that would be a nightmare. I also have visions in him wanting to hump everything that moves as soon as he has a taste for it.  :005: A hard job it seems. I am not a person who thinks ah that would be fun lets do it. I am well aware  there are more cons in studding. I appreciate all the replies. And i do know its the cons ppl have to give me so i am well prepared and know its not a job to take on with out knowing absolutely everything. He seem happy enough just digging in the garden at the mo  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »
A hard job it seems.

I can not begin to imagine how hard....... ph34r

although Oscar is undoubtedly "a beautiful specimen", I'm not sure that this alone should motivate you.........to me, someone who takes responsibility for bringing more puppies into the world should be committed and dedicated to the breed, someone who is passionate and knowledgeable and someone who loves every one of the puppies their dogs produce  ;) If you think you can be that kind of a breeder, then that is brilliant, but make sure you have a lot of fun and enjoy your dog along the way - don't get to hung up on your goal  ;)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline fuzzball

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »
I've been to ringcraft and yes Oscar likes it. Well not quite ringcraft but the diving on top of the other dogs for a play. Not like i allow it, But he's a bright little fella and knows to bide his time  :005:

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 10:09:50 PM »
I also agree that you are doing the right thing by asking questions and taking the replies on board  ;)

Good luck with your dog and I'm glad that he is going to be a family pet first and foremost - whatever you decide to do  ;)

Offline fuzzball

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:00:36 AM »
Yeah all i'm doing at the moment is just asking questions, As really i don't know much about it. Just thought id get all the info so if i ever did decide then at least i've got the oportunity to do so with plenty of knowledge behind me. Thanks guys

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
I have a male pup that I kept from my litter, but I would not consider breeding from him. This is because my bitch was not a willing partner and it took the stud dog owner all her skills to ensure a safe and effective mating. I was party to it and I can say hand on heart that if I was in that situation with my boy I would not have the experience and know how to ensure a "safe" mating.

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask your breeder friend if you could watch in on some matings so you can decide along with all the other things that people have advised you with whether it's something you could do. As I said some girls are willing but some can be very difficult to win over and that's the problem area. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »

Yep, if a bitches owner is paying for the stud's services then I'm sure they'd expect the owner to have the experience and knowledge to make sure everything goes smoothly rather than having to do it themselves. The bitches owner might not even want to be present while the mating takes place, I've heard that a lot of people can find the process quite upsetting to watch, even when there are no problems. I remember Jimmy's breeder telling me that a lot of her Cocker boys either didn't know where to put 'it' or had a poor sense of direction, requiring a bit of manual assistance from herself. She's been breeding for almost 50 years so was quite matter of fact about it but I can't see everyone wanting to get their hands dirty in this way ( I quickly changed the topic of conversation  :lol:). I understand that it's usual to start breeding from bitches and only years later once enough experience has been gained to even think of keeping a stud dog - there's so much more involved than just presenting the stud with an in-season bitch and then leaving them to it.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »
This is something I may have to face one day, as getting Archie was on the agreement, that if he did well in the show ring and subject to clear health tests, he is to be mated with one of the breeders bitches.  I would imagine that once he has been mated, things may never be the same again, so he will probably be used at stud or retired from showing and neutered I haven't decided yet, I too have a lot of reading to do.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**