Author Topic: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....  (Read 13585 times)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
Re: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 06:34:55 PM »
My sister who is a shepherdess and had an entire working collie (now neutered) had a terrible job with some people who bought property next to hers they had a newfoundland bitch and initially encouraged her dog over to play with theirs then when she came into season refused point blank to take any precautions at all to prevent a pregnancy. It turned out they had an endorsement on their girls pedigree and thought they would just use my sisters collie !! ( or any other black and white dog they said!!)
 well as you can imagine my sister was not happy at all and she had to keep her dog inside all the time as they had no intention of keeping their dog in.  their bitch never did get pregnant and has sadly pased away. they are dreadful people who just wouldnt take a telling. being the owner of a dog not just a bitch,  has equal responsibilities in my mind. accidents might happen, but not to my dogs!

....that is so unbelievable, what are some people like eh??? >:D >:( >:D
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 07:40:13 PM »
I'm 50/50 about getting him 'done' on Monday, in fact we both are :-\ We don't want to lose (not just his jewels), but his personality and temperament, or worse still, to gain weight.

Max, my Golden Retriever, was done almost a year ago.  He's fed the same as he was and he's not put on any weight, and his personality is just the same. He's always been a big, soft, gentle, loving boy and still is.  ;)
Barney was done last week so any changes won't be evident yet.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »
I'm 50/50 about getting him 'done' on Monday, in fact we both are :-\ We don't want to lose (not just his jewels), but his personality and temperament, or worse still, to gain weight.

Max, my Golden Retriever, was done almost a year ago.  He's fed the same as he was and he's not put on any weight, and his personality is just the same. He's always been a big, soft, gentle, loving boy and still is.  ;)
Barney was done last week so any changes won't be evident yet.
...is that Barney in the avatar? He looks soo cute, looks like our Sammy :-*   We do take him elswhere too, but we do try and take him on the field when they are not there, the trouble is that they live the other end of our street and have to pass our door to go there, so whether we go there or not, Sammy can still 'smell' her, that's why he is going loopy, but on saying that, he's been alot better today, that's why we think we may have been a bit hasty in making the appointment for his jewels to be removed, but we've got till Monday to make our minds up, well, Sat. really as we have to be there first thing Monday :-\

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »
...poor Sammy was howling in the night :'(
OH took him out earlier and there was this other girl in season from our estate, her owner said he isn't going to get her 'done' as it could cause her 'alot of distress'!! What about the distress HE is causing HER by having these poor excited males sniffing her at every opportunity >:(

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 12:01:57 PM »
When you have a bitch you should be responsible for her, she should be kept on her own property WHEN IN SEASON

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 12:10:54 PM »
that's why we think we may have been a bit hasty in making the appointment for his jewels to be removed, but we've got till Monday to make our minds up, well, Sat. really as we have to be there first thing Monday :-\

If you're worried Sammy is suddenly going to become a different dog and put on loads of weight, don't be - our boy is just the same happy, bouncy dog he's always been and hasn't gained any weight (it's easy enough to reduce food intake anyway to stop this happening). The only difference is he's a lot calmer when we have bitches in season :D
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 12:35:39 PM »
OH took him out earlier and there was this other girl in season from our estate, her owner said he isn't going to get her 'done' as it could cause her 'alot of distress'!! What about the distress HE is causing HER by having these poor excited males sniffing her at every opportunity >:(

Did he have her on a lead?   
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »
Please forgive me if there is anyone totally against what I am about to say  :embarassed:
I have Maddy she is 11 months old, as I have no idea where to start with regard to the whole breeding thing, we have had her speyed likewise we had our chocolate lab's jewels (I like that expresson) removed.
Choccy never missed his "jewels" and never bothered with any ladies he was nearly 12 when we lost him, I am having to watch everything Maddy eats as she has gained weight since she was done but we will keep on top of that for her sake.
I think what I want to say really is, if your dog is purely a pet then I think removing "jewels" etc is best for the dog and for you, we were told especially in bitches it can prevent mamory problems later on.
It would save a lot of bad breeding too.  ph34r

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »

Did he have her on a lead?   
yep, but why bring her out when he knows it drives Sammy mad???? >:(

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
When you have a bitch you should be responsible for her, she should be kept on her own property WHEN IN SEASON
...that's what alot of us think too, pity he doesn't ::)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »
Please forgive me if there is anyone totally against what I am about to say  :embarassed:
Choccy never missed his "jewels" and never bothered with any ladies he was nearly 12 when we lost him, I am having to watch everything Maddy eats as she has gained weight since she was done but we will keep on top of that for her sake.
I think what I want to say really is, if your dog is purely a pet then I think removing "jewels" etc is best for the dog and for you, we were told especially in bitches it can prevent mamory problems later on.
It would save a lot of bad breeding too.  ph34r
... i understand completely with what you are saying. He is a pet and we don't want him to sire. We don't know his real pedigree anyway (read my other thread on that), but we really don't want him to be put through this either just because some owners think that they can bring their in-season girls on the field, some off lead, and drive Sammy and other dogs mad! If it wasn't for THEM we wouldn't be putting Sammy  through this. I do agree that it would be healthier for him too, plus we can't bear him getting into a state by crying at the door and gate and howling every now and then, poor baby :'( No offence taken :-*

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »
that's why we think we may have been a bit hasty in making the appointment for his jewels to be removed, but we've got till Monday to make our minds up, well, Sat. really as we have to be there first thing Monday :-\

If you're worried Sammy is suddenly going to become a different dog and put on loads of weight, don't be - our boy is just the same happy, bouncy dog he's always been and hasn't gained any weight (it's easy enough to reduce food intake anyway to stop this happening). The only difference is he's a lot calmer when we have bitches in season :D
...thanks Jane :-*

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2006, 06:54:18 PM »
We don't know his real pedigree anyway (read my other thread on that), but we really don't want him to be put through this either just because some owners think that they can bring their in-season girls on the field, some off lead, and drive Sammy and other dogs mad! If it wasn't for THEM we wouldn't be putting Sammy  through this. I do agree that it would be healthier for him too, plus we can't bear him getting into a state by crying at the door and gate and howling every now and then, poor baby :'(

I really don't think you can expect bitch owners to consider your dog when they walk theirs.......not all dogs react like Sammy, and it is obvious that you live in an area with a huge number of unspeyed bitches with irresponsible owners if you meet 2 in one day  :o

My opinion would be to have him neutered as soon as possible; he is obviously distressed   :-\ Even if none of your neighbours walked their bitches in season the chances are Sammy would still smell them if they live nearby; and his behaviour may continue to get more agitated to the point where he tries to escape :(

It may not stop his chasing bitches when out - as Helen says, even some neutered dogs can have that desire; maybe moving to a different area is the only guaranteed solution - it seems that different places vary hugely when it comes to encountering bitches in season  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2006, 07:34:34 PM »

I really don't think you can expect bitch owners to consider your dog when they walk theirs.......

My opinion would be to have him neutered as soon as possible; he is obviously distressed   :-\ Even if none of your neighbours walked their bitches in season the chances are Sammy would still smell them if they live nearby; and his behaviour may continue to get more agitated to the point where he tries to escape :(

It may not stop his chasing bitches when out - as Helen says, even some neutered dogs can have that desire
[ maybe moving to a different area is the only guaranteed solution]
.......do you mean up sticks and move away completely, or just take him to walk somewhere else? There are always going to be in-season bitches wherever you go surely?
Anyway, we are going to get him done on Monday, even tho we aren't happy about it, it seems the 'logical' thing to do for his sake and his sanity ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »
I agree it is a shame that you have to get your dog snipped because some people are inconsiderate and irresponsible!  >:(  I am sure Sammy will be fine and walks will be much less stressful for both of you!  ;)
Julie and Watson