Author Topic: To crate or not to crate.  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
  • Winning The Gundog JHA Semi-Finals 2011
Re: To crate or not to crate.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
We did with our Louie

but now he's getting to big for it  

:luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »
I've read loads of articles about this, but haven't yet found clear information about when you're supposed to lock the pup in the crate. During the night it seems clear - locked unless it needs out for a pee. During the day however, the information seems a bit vague. I've read one book which suggests that (during the house-training period) the pup should pretty much be kept locked up ALL the time - only let out for food and toilet, and a strictly rationed 30mins of play after each toilet performance. That seems very harsh to me, AND I believe the 'house-training period' can take up to a month in some dogs! Other articles I've read suggest that the crate should be open and the dog should use it like a den - coming and going as it pleases.

In fact I think I read too much. If I keep on like this I'll have an anxiety attack before I get the dog.

I don't have a strict regime for housetraining other than take them out after eating, sleeping, playing etc. and must admit I slacken off as it gets quite late at night but they get housetrained none the less pretty quickly. I found the more I relaxed about it all the easier it is.

The crate here was only used closed at night or if I popped out. The crate is still up for my two as a den and then if I have any foster dogs its used to make sure they're all safe while am not in the room in the 1st few days while they settle in.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 05:08:46 PM »
We got Barney at 16 weeks and the crate has been the best thing ever for making him feel safe, and like he has his own little space he can hide in.  At the beginning you just have to get over your guilt.  ;)We made it really comfy and put an old sheet over it so it was cosy and dark for him.  We kept it shut all night and when we were out of the house but apart from that he was free to come and go as he pleased.  He is 1 year now and really still loves his crate.  We don't shut the door any more but he still chooses to sleep in it when tired, or at night time, instead of the floor or anywhere else.  We began to leave the door open at night at about 7 months, then gradually built up the time during the day until he was free to roam the kitchen when we were out.  He did have a couple of lapses when he chewed the lino but I think that was due to him being unsettled after school holidays etc  :-\  We would ideally like to remove the crate soon and just have a nice bed, but not sure he would like it to be removed. Honestly, ditch the books and get advice from here instead.  I have learned heaps from other COLers  ;)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »
Hiya

Not had time to read everyone elses reply but it was the BEST advice I ever got was to get a CRATE - you may have a nice kitchen at the mo but if the puppy is a chewer your gonna have a nice wrecked kitchen. Yes I am a big softie two and yes he cried for two nights I had to get earplugs - but he loves it now!

My Paddy love his now heres a pic

Its so big even sectioned off you can get a small child in it!!!! :005: :005: :005:

Offline citybird

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 07:59:20 PM »
 :lol: thats really funny!  He is so sweet. What size do you have please if you can remember? I think I'll order one over the weekend for her. This next fortnight is going to drag like mad before we can bring her home.

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »
I'll need to go and have a lookie - Mine is probably on the big side as you can see I am sure he will fit into the sectioned off bit as an adult!!!!!

I'll come back to you

Jx

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »
4385 Dogit 2 Door Wire Home Med 36.75"  1 £34.99

www.petplanet.co.uk

I would say it was a touch on the big side though eh..  It does fold if you want to take it away but some crates have a bit you can move for sectioning - this one didn;t but the price was good

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 08:06:06 PM »
P.s that child is in 12 and her 15 year old sis got in it 2 (not at the same time though :005:)

Offline citybird

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »
Thanks for this Juls. :D

Offline citybird

• Site Member
FAO Juls
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Hi again,

Sorry to mither you. I'm just about to order the size down crate. ie-the 30.25 one. Think this will be ok?
Also, shall I buy a vetmat or the Dogit fitted cushion it suggests? Thanks :D

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Re: FAO Juls
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »
Hiyaaaaaaa

I would def buy the size smaller - I never bought anything for bedding yet - cos I was waiting to see if he chewed - I just have an old jumper and a cheap fllecy blanket (with some old cushions underneath) at the mo..   I would wait myself - cos he did poo in it twice for the first couple of nights (forgot to say that) but that is due to him being distressed more than anything else and I had to empty the bedding out in the middle of the night - so just some old blankies might do for now..   Give you more of an idea what pup would like as well - cos there was so much to chose from for me..

Offline citybird

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »
Thanks again Juls! ;)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 01:40:13 PM »
I'll be watching out for your posts  :D  You aught to see what the state I was in the first couple of nights  ph34r  When I thought he would cry I didn't think it would be as distressing as it was - but you need to be strong...  ::)

I was reading a puppy book in the middle of the night whilst he had spent 4 hours crying/barking and howling and was foaming at the mouth!  And it said "DO NOT GIVE IN" I did give in for two nights and then realised that I was not helping myself and got more advice here and got some earplugs and set my alarm and for two nights he cried and then it stopped.. I was amazed cos I never thought it would..

Its the best thing for him

Offline citybird

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »
I'm dreading it!  I think the main issue for us is the fact our walls in our old stone terrace are extremely thin and we have had cause to complain about our neighbour quite seriously in the past. I'm just scared this is going to give THEM cause for complaint..My husband wear earplugs already at night as we can hear every little sound from next door! >:D

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
UH OH...  It might be worth telling your neighbours that she might need to get some earplugs for two nights... It is extremely loud - but its the only way - although My Paddy might have been just stubborn....

Move the cage to the farthest off place from your neighbours walls and pray they are not light sleepers