Author Topic: who competes at agility/ in training??  (Read 10713 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Re: who competes at agility/ in training??
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 06:08:16 PM »

Yes it's for a 1-2-1 training session, once you get into the club it's a lot cheaper not sure what tho, this trainer actually works with that club so I'm hoping we can get in quicker  :P.

the only thing I don't like about agility 1-2-1 is that your dog shouldn't do too much and they do find it really tiring so you won't get much of an hour?? we have an hour with 3 dogs and take turns but dogs and handlers are tired at the end, our bigger class is 2 hours but you have to wait around alot

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 06:19:12 PM »

Yes it's for a 1-2-1 training session, once you get into the club it's a lot cheaper not sure what tho, this trainer actually works with that club so I'm hoping we can get in quicker  :P.

the only thing I don't like about agility 1-2-1 is that your dog shouldn't do too much and they do find it really tiring so you won't get much of an hour?? we have an hour with 3 dogs and take turns but dogs and handlers are tired at the end, our bigger class is 2 hours but you have to wait around alot

That's really interesting hadn't thought about how tiring it would be .... as OH would like to do it with Molly I would like to take George but at that cost it would have been too expensive, I will have a chat with him and hopefully it can be split into 1/2 hour sessions for them both ...
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 06:34:01 PM »
how do you get your dog to weave between the posts. I think my cockers would have a job as they have to see whats in it for them usually. do you dangle a tidbit in front of them until they get the hang of it and is there an age thats best for training for this. my frien has bought some stuff but I havent got over to try it out rolo will love the tunnel but the weaving posts I think may prove a challenge.

I mentioned this on another thread - a target stick is brilliant for teaching this  :D

Clicker training can involve the use of a target stick to get the dog to touch/follow a stick with their nose :)
Once you have achieved this - you can use the target stick to guide the dog in and out of the poles, adding the verbal cues once the dog is confident, and then removing the target stick  ;)

I am really desperate to join agility classes, we tried it at a Charity Dog show, and Molo was a natural; I know we will both love it  :D
Each time a new beginners class starts over here it fills up with existing members from the more advanced classes who are training their younger/newer dogs  ::)
I might see if I can ask for a couple of 1-2-1 sessions - although the trainer also works F/T as a groomer and runs loads of classes too, I don't know if she will be able to fit us in  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »
You shouldn't really need a target stick to teach weaving with a clicker - I know Hattie is right up there in the brains stakes ::) - but it took her literally about 15 mins to learn how to weave, at about 6 months old.... just lure, click and treat, lure click and treat, then lure every other one, keep clicking and treating every weave.... then after they have perfected that, you add in the cue "weave" - only treat every 2nd pole - but keep clicking every pole..... then you'd click every other pole, and randomly treat.....etc eventually you will be able to only click at the end, and treat ...
Tilly isn't nearly as clever, and it took me about half an hour to re-train her to weave, using a clicker as well.  Previously she was useless at weaving !

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 01:16:31 PM »
Milo does agility every week and loves it.  He's very fast, we just need to work on a little more control.   :005:  I'm sure he'd be fab if he had a better handler - I've got no co-ordination and am so busy making sure I'm in the right place and not tripping over that Milo's long gone and doing his own thing!   :005:  We're getting much better though and it's all coming together, with practise.  My trainer asked me today if I would ever compete him and the answer is I would, but only at local shows now and again, really not up for dedicating every weekend to it and travelling miles, camping etc!    ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm sure he'd be fab if he had a better handler - I've got no co-ordination and am so busy making sure I'm in the right place and not tripping over that Milo's long gone and doing his own thing!   :005: 

Ruby would say the same about me :005: all of a sudden I can't work out my left and right ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »
I would like to try agility with both Spike & Domino; I'm sure they would be fit enough(& hopefully so would I!!); it's just a case of my getting organised enough to arrange it as there are quite a few agility clubs locally to me. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
how do you get your dog to weave between the posts. I think my cockers would have a job as they have to see whats in it for them usually. do you dangle a tidbit in front of them until they get the hang of it and is there an age thats best for training for this. my frien has bought some stuff but I havent got over to try it out rolo will love the tunnel but the weaving posts I think may prove a challenge.

We used poles rather than a weaving channel. Started with Bella on the lead just leading her through, and saying "in" as she goes in from the left, and "come" as she comes back through from the right. We then went to offlead (which was easier actually) and did the same thing but holding a treat in front of her. I've found recently that she's quicker if I don't actually move my hand all the way (so my hand's not also weaving, if that makes sense), but at each post I kind of stick it through (for the "in" part) and then bring it back round to the other side of that pole for the "come" part. I keep my hand at her level, and try to go fairly quickly as Bella seems better if we go quicker.

I don't think cockers are natural weavers though  :lol: My class at the moment is 5 collies and Bella  ::) so she's got no chance against them. And sometimes if she's in a particularly impatient mood she just can't be bothered, we get half way down the weaves and she kind of goes " ::) c'mon let's JUMP!" and runs on to the next jump  :lol:

A little brag though for Bella today, she's been scared stiff of the seesaw for the last 8 months, lying down half way over it, using lots of avoidance tactics, and today for the first time ever she was completely fearless over it, twice in a row - am I a proud mummy or what!?  :luv: Good girl Bella!!!!  :D It was the only thing on the course she didn't like so now there'll be no stopping her!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 08:03:23 PM »
the weaving is an interesting one....we were taught slightly differently as our teacher thinks that leading through a weave with a titbit does not encourage a smooth and fluid weave.

so we had 2 of us doing a fancy 2 step either side of the poles (alternate poles/legs type thing) guiding jarv's entire body through the weave which helped him keep close and move really fluidly (with tempting titbit in hand)

was harder for me than jarvis and i must admit we looked atrocious from the rear view  ph34r ph34r ph34r

we don't compete, but will be re-attending classes as jarv loves it :lol:
helen & jarvis x

Penel

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 08:10:01 PM »
Tsk - clicker train the weave - no need for silly leg movements, or target sticks.  Whats up with you lot  ::)  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 08:55:48 PM »
Tsk - clicker train the weave - no need for silly leg movements, or target sticks.  Whats up with you lot  ::)  :lol:

What is the difference between using the target stick and the lure as you describe, Penel?

It will certainly be less damaging on my back to use the stick - but don't see any difference in using the stick as the *lure*  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 09:08:41 PM »

there's more than one way in this world penel ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »
What is the best way for you find out about agility classes running in your area?
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 12:46:37 AM »
What is the best way for you find out about agility classes running in your area?

a great resource is agility.net

http://www.agilitynet.com

look up your local club(s) and they will point you in the right direction; however, as others have found it is hard as courses fill up so quickly waiting lists are very long

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 08:14:51 AM »

You could try contacting your local dog training clubs and associations (the ones that offer any of: obedience, puppy classes, ringcraft, KC Good Citizen, field trial training etc) to see if they know of anywhere that offers agility :)
Not all clubs are on AgilityNet, but there are some people in every area who do loads of stuff with their dogs and so go to more than one set of classes  ;)
Oldies Club