Author Topic: Problem with house training  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Problem with house training
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 01:59:48 PM »
I really don't know how people that go out to work housetrain a puppy it must be really really difficult.

Some of us who work made sure they had arrangements in place so that their pup wasn't left for that long  ;) We used holiday and then a pet sitter to make sure that he was never left for too long, even once we had to go to work  ;)

TBH, unless I had those arrangements in place, I wouldn't have found as reputable breeder who would have considered us suitable owners  :-\ As it was, our pet sitter was able to give Molo's breeder regular updates as the sitter also runs a pet-taxi service and regularly drops dogs off to the breeders grooming business  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 02:19:49 PM »
The pup is left in the kitchen with my lab in his cage from 8:15am to 12:00pm and then again from 1:00pm until 3:30pm. Would it be best to get another crate for her?

I really don't know how people that go out to work housetrain a puppy it must be really really difficult.

Some of us who work made sure they had arrangements in place so that their pup wasn't left for that long  ;) We used holiday and then a pet sitter to make sure that he was never left for too long, even once we had to go to work  ;)

TBH, unless I had those arrangements in place, I wouldn't have found as reputable breeder who would have considered us suitable owners  :-\ As it was, our pet sitter was able to give Molo's breeder regular updates as the sitter also runs a pet-taxi service and regularly drops dogs off to the breeders grooming business  ;)

I don't think it's THAT long?  It's only an hour longer than the length of time we left Billy for when he was a pup. I think a lot also depends on what you do with your dog before and after they are left alone. I have a friend who doesn't agree with us having a dog and working and hence Billy being left alone. She's at home all day but doesn't really do anything with her dog. She's NEVER up at 6am in the cold wind and rain with her dog like I am! I honestly believe Billy has the better life.
It's a fact that people have to work,  If puppies and dogs were only given to homes where people had all these wonderfull arrangements in place then there would be lots still in rescue  :-\

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
If puppies and dogs were only given to homes where people had all these wonderfull arrangements in place then there would be lots still in rescue  :-\

Yes but sometimes thats the reason they end up in rescue in the 1st place.

Plus this can be a reason for taking longer to housetrain in the 1st place which in some homes can be an issue
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »
It's a fact that people have to work,  If puppies and dogs were only given to homes where people had all these wonderfull arrangements in place then there would be lots still in rescue  :-\

I wouldn't allow ANY of my foster to go to a home with the type of crate time being mentioned here - and many rescues wouldn't either!!
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »
It's a fact that people have to work,  If puppies and dogs were only given to homes where people had all these wonderfull arrangements in place then there would be lots still in rescue  :-\

I wouldn't allow ANY of my foster to go to a home with the type of crate time being mentioned here - and many rescues wouldn't either!!

I was talking really about the pup who has the run of the kitchen and isn't crated  ;) But now you've mentioned it is it the fact that the dog is crated thats the issue rather than the time the dog is left alone each day? Is one session of 3 hours 45 mins then another of 2 and a half hours too long? It's not me trying to be funny I'm genuinely trying to establish what the recommended use of a crate is. When we got Billy we were told maximum of 4 hours at a time. In the end we never crated him he had the run of the kitchen but I wouldn't have thought millomites times are excessive, but not ideal .

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 04:41:27 PM »
When we got Billy we were told maximum of 4 hours at a time. In the end we never crated him he had the run of the kitchen but I wouldn't have thought millomites times are excessive, but not ideal .

I wouldn't want to leave such a new puppy alone for 4 hours straight off though (she's been with Scott less than two weeks, I think?) - we built up the time gradually over a few weeks - with the help of the dog-walker - so that Molo got used to it gradually, and we knew what his limits were (in terms of bladder control and loneliness).

Obviously, working dogs are treated differently to pets, as there are different priorities and expectations - but I don't think you can expect any dog to be house-trained in a couple of weeks, especially if there is not frequent teaching and training, so early in her new life indoors  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »
The amount of time its being crated and the amount of time left alone.

Building up to 4hrs over a period of time is fine - though i still wouldn't recommend crating for that long at any age!

I have foster pups here and have done so for quite a while - also had a couple of mine from pups - haven't ever needed to crate any of them to toilet train, stop them being destructive or any other issue that comes along with a pup/dog

wonder what people did before crates............
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 04:48:26 PM »

had a lot of chewed shoes!!! :005:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »
When we got Billy we were told maximum of 4 hours at a time. In the end we never crated him he had the run of the kitchen but I wouldn't have thought millomites times are excessive, but not ideal .

I wouldn't want to leave such a new puppy alone for 4 hours straight off though (she's been with Scott less than two weeks, I think?) - we built up the time gradually over a few weeks - with the help of the dog-walker - so that Molo got used to it gradually, and we knew what his limits were (in terms of bladder control and loneliness).

Obviously, working dogs are treated differently to pets, as there are different priorities and expectations - but I don't think you can expect any dog to be house-trained in a couple of weeks, especially if there is not frequent teaching and training, so early in her new life indoors  :-\

No we didn't leave Billy alone straight away . I took the first two weeks off then OH took time off after that. I think the absolute maximum time Billy was alone in one go was 4 hours but that wasn't until he had been with us for at least 4 weeks. We've been very lucky with Billy in that he enjoys his time alone  :005:

Penel

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 04:54:48 PM »

Saffy and Tilly weren't crate trained, but Lola and Hattie were.... it didn't really make much difference to "house training" BUT it made a difference when I had to go out for short periods during the day especially, I knew they weren't chewing through my computer cables etc.

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »
Well in contradiction to most of your posts, we've had Amber for a week and a half now and she is now going to the toilet outside. I've started taking her outside when I get up, before I go to work (after I feed her), at lunchtime, at 4pm, at 6pm and again at 9:30pm. She normally has a wee during the night but I'm not too fussed about that at the moment as it is on the puppy pad we have down.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »
nothing like a good contradiction is there millomite :005:

i'm pleased amber is doing so well, we had no problems with ours really but i guess each pup is individual.

the only problem you may have is when you take the pad away for her night wee which i guess you will eventually be doing which may cause initial problems.  That's the reason why we didn't use pads or newspaper and did the getting up at night thing and stretching it out longer and longer....

each to their own :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »
Yeah, it's probably not going to be a problem as such as she will be going outside at around six months, but I see where you are coming from. Working the hours I do, with the travelling too, I need every minutes sleep I can get lol.

I will have to post some pictures when I can. She is out at the vets tonight for her second vac so only another week before she can come out with me and Brook (Lab).

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
well done scot and amber. if you keep popping her out eveytime she wakes eats drinks and about every half hour or so in between  she'll get the hang of it. i say "be clean" to mine  . liath has perfected the art of squatting and pretending shes peeing if its cold as she knows she has to pee and doesnt always need. shes a total smartiepants. its also nice to have your pup housetrained as you cannot guarantee at this age that she will be a good worker and its nice if they are pets first workers second.
 Id also gradually take the pad outside then get rid of it it doesnt hurt to leave a small poo in the garden where you want her to go and when she goes out and sniffs it she most likely will do something near it.
 as for leaving your pup for a couple of hours in a crate I see no harm in that especially as you have a lab in the kitchen with her for company and you leave lots of toys and stuff and water of course. but maybe youve got a neighbour who would let her out for a quick pee so you keep up the good work. rolo was housetrained by four months but I did have a spaniel once who took 6 months.
 and what did I do before crates.. I had an electrocuted  9 year old son due to a pup chewing cables so think on all you owners of young pups with children and flexes everywhere.. ie christmas trees fairy lights.. playstations etc.. its a puppys dream and puppys are like kids you cant be watching them 24 hours a day you do your best, but accidents happen. my son was alright but if I hadnt had circuit breakers he would have died.  a crate is a saftey option when you know you cannot be watching the dog.

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »

as for leaving your pup for a couple of hours in a crate I see no harm in that especially as you have a lab in the kitchen with her for company and you leave lots of toys and stuff and water of course.

Pup isnt in the crate, I leave my lab in the crate overnight in the kitchen with Amber who just has a bed in the kitchen. During the day Brook goes in the hallway and Amber is in the kitchen. This is to get her used to not having him there for a while as his new kennel is arriving soon.