Author Topic: how does your pooch travel?  (Read 6574 times)

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
how does your pooch travel?
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »
Hi.................it's me.....................again  ph34r.........................(yawn.......)

Just being nosey I suppose (moi?! ;))

How do your dogs travel in your car? Crate? Harness? Seat? or free  :shades:? (saw a cocker on the knee of a driver today whilst driving  :o)

Would prefer a crate to be honest for safety and the fact that you can pack round it too, although the crate we currently have (32") I think is a tad too big really for the boot - OK for the dog but can't get much else in  :-\:005:

Harry is not reliable to sit between the children yet - he'll try to get a quick lick in wherever he can  :P :P, much to their amusement and Mummy's loss of concentration.  At the moment on short rides he is harnessed and puts his dog bogies on the back window (I'm sure that it's because it's heated  :005:).

Sorry for those of you eating - was that too much information  ph34r
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Re: how does your pooch travel?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
My two travel in the back of OH's estate, they have a nice dog guard up so they can still see us.

In my car they travel on the back seat with seat belts, Meg would be ok without but Jakey would HAVE to sit on my lap which I don't agree with but you try telling him that  :luv:

(saw a cocker on the knee of a driver today whilst driving  :o)

Shocking  >:(
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
My two have seat belts too, Sally would sit no bother but Glen would proabably perch on my shoulder given half a chance and will notlisten to the safe driving lecture I have given him  ::)  :005: We are in the process of changing cars to something a bit more suitable than a 3 door so we can have them in the boot and put a dog gaurd up. Did consider getting a crate then so that at leat some of the boot can still be used for shopping etc.  ;)

P.S. How on earth would you drive whilst getting your face washed by cocker? Woman being really irresponsible and hope she gets spotted by police before the worst happens.  >:(
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
Loki has a crate in the boot (its an estate so we have an open boot) when we looked for a car I insisted on getting an estate so we could do this. However if we are in my dads car Loki will sit on my knee in the back.

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:45 PM »
I use a ferplast atlas 100. It fits my peugeot 307 perfectly, but you can get smaller or bigger ones. I bought the extra divider so I can put the pup in one half and wellies etc in the other. If I have both the lab and the cocker in the carrier I remove the divide. Plenty of room for them both. It was £52 from surrey pet supplies, much cheaper than the smaller version which was £80 in PAH

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
I use a ferplast atlas 100. It fits my peugeot 307 perfectly, but you can get smaller or bigger ones. I bought the extra divider so I can put the pup in one half and wellies etc in the other. If I have both the lab and the cocker in the carrier I remove the divide. Plenty of room for them both. It was £52 from surrey pet supplies, much cheaper than the smaller version which was £80 in PAH
Thanks for that info! I need something for Maudie as its too much each time we travel short distances to put her crate in the boot! Ill take a look now!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
I have a fabric crate in the car, or at least I did until Archie came along, Jade and Amber have it in the house now, so they are loose in the back of the Shogun.  There is no way they can jump over the seats as they are quite high.  Everytime I have used the harnesses Jade has been sick, I think it is because she is higher up and sits looking out of the window.  I am trying to get them into a basket at home, so I can have the crate back in the car, but it isn't going very well.   ::)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »

...would two full size cockers fit into that size do you think ?
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »
Cage in the boot with the back seat droped in the centre so they can see us.  Jasper has travelled with the harness and seat belt quite happily but I think Louie is too loopy for that.  They are happy to lie down together in the crate and kids don't mess with them whilst there so that suits us. Argos model

Also OH happy to put crate in company car - would not be happy having them on the seats.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »
Mine have a large car crate in the back -Like to know what they are up to  :005:
When we first got Connie who was six months old at the time (replacement for very sick puppy -long story)
she got through the dog guard and sat in the footwell before deciding to see if she could help OH with his driving!
So now we only use dog guard when taken my parents Border Collie with us - mine are much safer in the crate :

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »
Thanks all of you  :blink:

I suppose I am being unrealistic - a compromise will have to be made I know!  If we didn't have 2 children and all the rubbish that we need to take for them then things would be easy!!!  :005: :005: :005:

Looking at the Ferplast 100 http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Ferplast_Atlas.html#a4030 there doesn't seem to be much room - am I expecting too much?  I assumed that the dog would have as much room in the car as in the indoor crate?  I think I need to go and measure some more  ;).

Albert Camus

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
When we had the saloon we had no option but to use a seat harness which worked very well except for the mucky seats. They always seem to dig up the protective towel and sit on the upholstery.

Now we have the Zafira we use a large-ish soft crate which is wonderful. And we can also put our stuff in the boot which is pretty handy. ;)

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
we use a large-ish soft crate which is wonderful. And we can also put our stuff in the boot which is pretty handy

Can you do me a link for a soft crate at all? I'm not familiar with them  :-\

Albert Camus

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »
Our argos model was only £36 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705273/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D50047.Petcare%3EC%24cip%3D50050.Pet%2Bcarriers%2Band%2Bkennels.htm
and our two cockers are quite big  (bigger than most cockers anyway) but sit fine with room to move.  There is still room for boots etc at the side and it collapses quickly when I need to put the shopping in the boot (Picasso and Toyota estate).

I prefered the cage as I thought there was more air round them in summer than the soft crates.

When we went on holiday we invested in a roof top box as figured no longer would we have space in the boot.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »

When we went on holiday we invested in a roof top box as figured no longer would we have space in the boot.

Ooh, good idea. Nice and cosy with a blanket and no dog hair inside the car. I like that idea! :005: