Author Topic: Hello - we are new!  (Read 2580 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Hello - we are new!
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
I wanted to say 'hello', because I've only just joined the forum. I've got a Cocker puppy and intend to do lots of different activities with him. With our previous Cocker I took part in agility, flyball and obedience, and did some working trials training, too. Our puppy is only 5 months old, and has just passed his KC Good Citizen puppy foundation assessment. I'm interested in the KC pre-beginner stakes and I think there is actually a cocker taking part at Crufts - I'm hoping to see him!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Hello - we are new!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi...welcome to COL.

wow...did you compete your last cocker in all those activities?  Was he a worker or show-type?

I have one cocker...she has just turned 3.  She competes (in her own special way...when she feels like it!) in obedience and I have just started training her for working trials.  She is loving the nosework.

Congratulations on passing your puppy assessment with your cocker, and good luck in the special pre-beginner heats when you enter them!  ;)

edited to add...yes there is a show-type cocker (bitch) qualified for the final.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »
Hiya
Welcome 2 COL
Would love to see some pic's
You can see my dogs on the link below  :blink: we are collecting a new pup on Sunday  :blink:
We shall be showing at crufts on Thursday  :blink:

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Hi!

My previous cocker was a show-type. He loved training and taking part in lots of activities. We never won anything or even got placed, but that didn't bother me, as long as he enjoyed it. We did get a mention in Dog Training Weekly once, for Bobby being so enthusiastic and having a constantly wagging tail!

What class does your cocker compete in, sportsmonki?

It's a shame I can't go to Crufts on Thursday - I would have liked to have seen your dog, Sarah!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »
Wow...lovely to hear of another show-type who was so keen to have a go at everything!  Awww...congrats on the mention in DTW.

I agree, the most important thing is that the dog enjoys working.  If I can feel Storm's tail wagging the whole way round, then I leave the ring happy.  If her tail isnt wagging I usually try to do something about it.

Storm won out of beginners last year...I havent really started working her in novice and A yet as I started at Uni in September, and unfortunately I cant keep dogs with me in my accommodation here, so my Mum (who doesnt compete dogs) is looking after her. 

Offline pam100red

• Site Member
  • Tess
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:37 AM »
Hi everyone

Thought I'd join in here as I've just begun obedience training with my show cocker whose doing very well. Might give a competition a go over the Summer. I'm going to see one next Sat at Myerscough in Lancashire. I'm sure it'll be an eye opener :o
My daughter shows her and enters Junior handling.

I love to do lots of activities with her, they are such a curious and clever breed( Oh i know the border collies have IQ's of 142 ::)!)
Still we can but try :-\
To Sportsmonk- love the picture of you and storm doing heel work. Great watching from Storm there :angel:

Well, think Tess and I need some practise. :005:
Maybe see you all at a show soon ;)
Pam

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 08:49:08 AM »
Hi Pam!

Great to hear that someone else is into obedience - let us know how you get on!  :blink:

Silke

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
Hi pam.

Great to hear Tess is doing well with her training.  :D  TBH I think Storm is smarter than my collie...Storm definitley seemed to pick up on things quicker than my collie did  ph34r

Is it Reedyford you are going to?  Maybe I will see you there? 

p.s. thank you  :blink:

Offline pam100red

• Site Member
  • Tess
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:16 PM »
Hi
Yes it is Reedyford. Are you competing?
Don't know what time I will be able to get there, depends on the family. I'm hoping to see the Pre beginners. Are they usually first?

Good Luck if you're competing. ;)

Pam

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
Hi Pam,

I'm entered, but will only be doing training rounds.

All the classes start at 10am.  There is a running order for the first 10 in each class and so the first 10 competitiors know what order they will be going in.  After that competitors can go in whenever they like.  I notice there are two parts for pre-beginners, so there will be two classes.  There are just over 30 entries in each so I guess they will finish about 2pm. 

Do you know anyone who will be there? 

Hope to see you there.

Offline pam100red

• Site Member
  • Tess
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi
I'll know the club members and trainers who are entered.
Looking forward to going and learning how things are run. I'm glad I'm watching and not competing.
With the open shows(not obedience),sometimes theres only a few entries. This is a whole different ball game when there's 60 in a group :o
My kids are on a sleep over that day :D So, it'll be great just to take in everything thats going on, and not have to think about anyone else!

Pam

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
That's great that you will know people who are there so they can explain things to you a bit  :blink: .  Its a good idea to go and watch first before you enter (wish I had done, so I knew what to expect  :005: )

Yes, once entries hit 60 the class is 'split' into equal parts so that there will usually be between 30 and 60 entries in each class.

Storm is the undocked blue roan in desperate need of a trim, so if you see me do come over and say hi...it would be nice to meet you  :blink: .

Have you entered Tess NFC?