Author Topic: Can anyone offer any advice on a new baby, sorry puppy?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline mikenlisa

• Site Member
  • Poppy & Bertie having a moment...
Can anyone offer any advice on a new baby, sorry puppy?
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
I have a new puppy, Poppy who is a 9 week old Cocker Spaniel, well I say puppy, she more like a new born baby at the moment. My husband and I would be very grateful to anyone who can give me some advice. Yesterday was her first day with us and I spoiled her with cuddles on the sofa, my husband slept on the sofa with her last night because she kept crying in the night. Obviously we need to put a stop to this straight away. She keeps on jumping up at us trying to get up on the sofa for a cuddle to go to sleep! I have tried to be firm and put her in her bed, but she is having none of it. Last night was a bit of a nightmare too, we stayed up with her until around 1am last night and by 3am we were up with the crying and so for the sake of the neighbours my husband slept on the sofa (for a quite life!) I work part time, so she will need to get used to being on her own for a few hours in the day too.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Love
Lisa, Mike, Poppy & Bertie
xxxx

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
Re: Can anyone offer any advice on a new baby, sorry puppy?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
It's early days yet and she has to get used to her new surroundings (and family).

Of course you wanted to cuddle your new puppy on her first day home.

I'm not an expert but here's my advice.

Do you have a crate?? If not try a crate, put her in for short periods of time at first but remain in the room, and then gradually increase until you can leave the room, put her favourite things in it and whatever she likes to sleep with. You will need this if you are going to be leaving her for a couple of hours each day as it will save you coming home to a mess. The crate is her space and most puppies will settle in one and won't soil their own bed. (although accidents can happen)

At night you have to be firm. If you keep going to her for crying you are rewarding her and she will cry more. Have a word with your neighbours and explain that you have a new puppy and they may hear her crying. The crying does stop eventually...honest  ;) Some people use a crate in the bedroom or outside the bedroom so their puppy can see them. It all depends or where you will be putting her at night in the long run

Good Luck,

I'm sure you'll get loads more useful advice
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
Be firm, fair, patient, loving, calm, understanding, forgiving, sensible, affectionate, (I could go on   :lol:)

Seriously though puppies are hard work and they will call on all of the above from you!

Decide on the rules,e.g. where pup sleeps etc,  stick to the rules even if you feel that your at your wits end, buy a crate and ear plugs !!!  :005: I know it is a really tough time when they are adjusting to sleeping alone etc but stick with it!!
Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »
 :D You can do it!! :D I agree with everything they already said.  I can't give you much else advice except stay strong...lol they can sense when you are crackin so they put on more waterworks :005:
Good luck! Hope we can see some pics soon :shades: :luv:
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:26:59 PM »
i always go by what has been written above- you have to decide what you want poppy's routine to be, and then stick to it as much as possible. living with humans must be thoroughly confusing to a young pup and it only seems fair to try to be consistent so that they quickly learn how life will be. if poppy is going to be expected to sleep on her own then she has to have time to get used to that idea. she definitely wont like it to begin with but she will get used to it quickly and then will hopefully relax as it becomes her normal routine. :)

barkley, my 14 month old, absolutely thrives on routine. his is all out of whack at the mo because he's hurt his paw and so can't go out on his usual walks. for the first day or two, he was so down about it- really confused about what was happening. he's quickly relaxed though as he's realised that life might be different but we're not going anywhere and everything really is ok. :)

good luck! there is nothing quite so heart wrenching as a young pup whining but she should soon accept it, and i learnt with barkley that his whining definitely wasn't always an indicator of extreme unhappiness. one day i caught a peek of him eating his breakfast on his own in the kitchen... and stopping in between mouthfuls to whine very pathetically, before wagging his tail and going back to eating.  ::) he clearly wasn't too distraught about being on his own but obviously felt that he should still make his presence known!  :005:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree with the above... I seem to be the odd one out today...  :005:

I don't agree with letting the puppy cry in distress... The puppy comes away from the mum, the litter into a new house, new people, new smells etc. She must feel so scared and lonely...

I would get hubby to sleep downstairs another few nights until your pup settles, then I would move upstairs gradually.

We are getting a puppy next week... but he is sleeping in our bedroom from the start (and forever) with our other dogs (in his own bed in a crate though), so I don't expect any problems really.

Puppies are hard work, even more so until you have found your own routine with them.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Maggies Muggles

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 12:48:19 PM »
The crying and howling at night can be unbearable and very upsetting to hear but when we brought Maggie home (beginning of January) we decided to leave her in her crate in the kitchen all night and not to succumb to the howls.

The howling and crying was pretty bad for a few days but it got much better. 6 weeks later (ie now), there's the occasional whimper when the kitchen door is closed but generally she is quiet until the 6am wake up call (I think she hears the beeps on BBC Radio 4 and decides to wake us up at that time).

We felt very cruel at first ignoring the crying but knew that she had to get used to being in the kitchen alone at night.

From experience with previous puppies, getting over the night time crying seems to be one of those initiation rituals. It's easier than toilet training though!!

I think the radio and lights help. We also put some of our clothes (worn) in her crate as we thought the scent might make her more comfortable and secure.

If you sleep next to Poppy or let her into your bed initially, I think that's what she will take as normal. Any change to that might then make her unsettled again.

Good luck!! I miss the sleep but it's worth it.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »

I would get hubby to sleep downstairs another few nights until your pup settles, then I would move upstairs gradually.

I would go for this method too  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
I would say take in the advice offered above, but one thing you most definately need to do is alter your mind set, she is a puppy not a new born baby.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but a dog is a dog is a dog  ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »

I've done this in the past --- slept downstairs for a few nights to let them settle, and have then never had any trouble with them after that.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
I would say take in the advice offered above, but one thing you most definately need to do is alter your mind set, she is a puppy not a new born baby.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but a dog is a dog is a dog  ;)

Couldn't agree more --- overspoilt cockers can quickly turn into spoilt brats and behave accordingly if you're not careful
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree with the above... I seem to be the odd one out today...  :005:

I don't agree with letting the puppy cry in distress... The puppy comes away from the mum, the litter into a new house, new people, new smells etc. She must feel so scared and lonely...

We are getting a puppy next week... but he is sleeping in our bedroom from the start (and forever) with our other dogs (in his own bed in a crate though), so I don't expect any problems really.

Puppies are hard work, even more so until you have found your own routine with them.

Vera

I slept on the couch for a couple of nights while my pup adjusted to sleeping in her crate, but she still screamed the place down every time the door was closed!! I think to let the puppy out at that point isn't doing her any favors - It's just confusing her and teaching her all the wrong things. I now have a puppy who sleeps in her crate all evening with the door open out of choice - can't have been THAT bad an experience for her  ;). She knows whats what, what is expected of her, is respectful and very obedient bless her, is in a calm state of mind and a joy to share my home with, (Most of the time  :005:).
Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »

I've done this in the past --- slept downstairs for a few nights to let them settle, and have then never had any trouble with them after that.

This is what we did, mind you the 3rd night I crept out and slept on the stairs  ph34r  :005: was scared to go all the way up to bed  ::)

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
Ruby used to sleep in her crate in the kitchen at night.

It took her ages to settle and would often wake up crying/barking in the night.

When she was about 4 months old, we decided to try her in our bedroom in a smaller crate. From that very first night, she was fine. She woke up and started mooching around in the crate if she needed the loo but apart from that she just slept! :luv:

Now she comes upstairs with us when we go to bed and gets up when the alarm goes.  :angel:

It's is hard when they are so little but you will eventually work out what suits you and her best.

Good luck and just remember we have all been there!  ;)

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline claireandmartin

• Site Member
  • xxx zak xxx
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »

Vera
i don't think that is a good idea, yes the pup is a part of the family now but you have to have ground rules from day one, other wise its not good.... start as you mean to go on and persivere, it will only tale a couple of nights to get sorted , my pup went in her crate from day one on a night , she loves it when she is tierd on a night she go's and gets in herself lol
ZAK MY GEORGEOUS GOLDEN BOY