Author Topic: Can anyone offer any advice on a new baby, sorry puppy?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: Can anyone offer any advice on a new baby, sorry puppy?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
If you shut a young pup in a crate overnight, then you need to be prepared to let them out in the middle of the night, until they are able to hold their toileting all night  ;)

Crating is often used as a method of toilet training, as they WILL cry in the when they need to go to the toilet rather than soil their bed space - and it sounds like this is what happened last night; poppy cried until she fell asleep, and then woke up needing the toilet and told you (and the rest of the neighbourhood) so  ;) It should only take you a few days to work out the difference between the "I need the loo" cries and the "I'm lonely" cries.........  ;)

Leaving a puppy crated, but then not going to it when it tells you it needs to toilet, is not really very fair - so if you really can't face getting up in the night, then its probably best not to shut the crate door, and be prepared to come down to a mess each morning  :-\

thats what I meant when I said I got up for Aidee in the night ;) he was telling me he needed out so I got up and let him out...if I didn't get there in time ph34r then I'd clean him up and stay near by quietly until he settled :blink:

I'm with tesco insurance and haven't had any trouble with claims (and I've made a few ;)), I think some people have had problems with them tho :-\

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
Petplan insurance is good but it's expensive. My two are with M&S, as are a lot of dogs on COL and I've found them very good but it's a matter of shopping around and comparing to see what cover suits you best.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline claireandmartin

• Site Member
  • xxx zak xxx
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2007, 06:30:28 PM »
im still using my six weeks free insurance with the kc  i was pondering as to weather to keep th kc insurance, im really not sure what to to does it mean its better insurance if its with the kc or should i go for something else
ZAK MY GEORGEOUS GOLDEN BOY

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
im still using my six weeks free insurance with the kc  i was pondering as to weather to keep th kc insurance, im really not sure what to to does it mean its better insurance if its with the kc or should i go for something else

Shop around now, ask them to tell you what is and what is not covered and make your decision from there  ;)

(price versus what is or is not covered)  I'm with Halifax but OH works for them so all in all it was cheaper for us for the same cover as some of the others  ;)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »
Our dogs are throughly spoilt & sleep upstairs with us from day 1.

I always put a new puppy in their crate & set the alarm for about 2.30am & then put them out & praise them ecstatically when they perform outside (it does mean standing outside in the dark & cold for a while until they go!!) Gradually we increase the time they can go through the night until we get a full nights sleep. It does take a while & at the time it seems like you will never get a good nights sleep again but it does pass & now I can hardly remember what it was like to have a crying puppy at night ( Domino,our cocker, is two & a half.)

Our dogs are insured with Direct Line; fortunately I've only had to make one claim which they paid out promptly & with no problem although reading through the policy I notice there are quite a few exclusions. :huh:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)