Author Topic: Flyball...  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Flyball...
« on: February 16, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »
.....has anyone done this with their doggies?  ;)

What level of obedience/skills do the dogs need? What handing skills are required ?  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
Re: Flyball...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
Oh I would love to see a cocker doing flyball.  It looks such good fun, the dogs are so dedicated.  If someone does do it let me know, we will come along with pompoms on the side line to cheer you on!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
I do flyball - our first cocker used to take part, and I'm hoping our puppy will take to it, when he is older. At the moment my Border Collie does it, but the cocker puppy comes to the training classes to watch and cheer her on. It's great fun! 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
I do flyball - our first cocker used to take part, and I'm hoping our puppy will take to it, when he is older. At the moment my Border Collie does it, but the cocker puppy comes to the training classes to watch and cheer her on. It's great fun! 

Excellent, an expert  :005:

I currently do agility with Molo (with some success, but focus is still a problem), and have the chance to do flyball later in the year.....but wonder if I will end up embarrassed in front of all the collie owners? What can I begin to teach Molo at home so I don't feel a complete numpty ?  ph34r

Oldies Club

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
sorry but whats fly ball? ph34r
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:32:32 PM »
Flyball is BRILLIANT    :lol: :lol:

I would dearly love Blue to be able to do flyball, he has the speed but cant catch a ball for toffee  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
Flyball is BRILLIANT    :lol: :lol:

I would dearly love Blue to be able to do flyball, he has the speed but cant catch a ball for toffee  :005:

So ball catching is the first thing to practice, then?  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
There is a flyball group near us in Reading, but they don't have to be able to catch. They use a box with a step, lever type of thing. I am assured that Buddy butterfingers wouldn't be at a disadvantage!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
Storm doesnt do flyball, but has had a go...my collie was meant to be having a go at flyball...but the people taking the training session were more interested in the cocker having a go  :005:

So, in my experience the collie people wont mind.  Also I believe if they include a 'small' dog in their team they are able to lower the jumps, so their collies can go even faster  :o

For BFA flyball it's not so important that the dog is able to catch?  It's only for the KC flyball that it's fundamental?

I'd suggest you need a dog that is ball mad, and it helps to have a strong send away and recall...then the rest all fits into place easily?

edited for typos

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
It's a good idea to find a nice training club - the one we are in is lovely, really friendly and relaxed, with lots of different breeds. There are different elements to flyball, I suppose, like going away from you, getting the ball, and returning quickly (with the ball!). Good luck with your training!

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
Lucky you, Rachel.  I really want to do Flyball with Milo as he's tennis ball obsessed and catches them really well.  He's also super-fast when he wants to be and I have no hope of keeping up with him at agility.   ::)  Can't find a club round here that does it though.  Borrowed a Flyball machine from one of my dog trainer friends as she considered starting to teach it, but I haven't been able to convince her to yet.  Must look harder for a local club that does it....
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 03:09:21 AM »
Lucky you, Rachel.  I really want to do Flyball with Milo as he's tennis ball obsessed and catches them really well.  He's also super-fast when he wants to be

Sounds like Ruby --- everyone comments when she's after a ball how they never thought she could run that fast
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »
I have had a go at flyball, my lots thought it was great fun, we just don't have enough hours in the day to train for flyball with the local team, here are a few pics of cockers doing flyball
Dobbie

Bilbo

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy