Author Topic: Ben's First Agility Lesson!  (Read 2823 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Ben's First Agility Lesson!
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
We finally found a class and started today!  We got there early and there was a class made up of collies and they were fantastic!  They watched their owners likes hawks and flew round the course .................... by the time they'd finished Becky and I were thinking of slinking away before we were spotted  :005:

There are 6 in my class - some complete beginners like us and some that have done some training on their own.  Ben has now mastered the tunnel (after leaping on it and trying to run after me that way)  :lol:  I now have to teach a more reliable stay and run away from him without him chasing, I also have to teach him left from right  :o  He was much better than I thought he'd be and only ran off when he realised that the field had lost treats dotted around  ;)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Re: Ben's First Agility Lesson!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »
Thats brilliant Debbie. ;) Where did you go?

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:07:06 PM »
It was one you mentioned ages ago 'Scallywags', they'd put the wrong contact details on a website but Spangle (Rach) found the website for me!    http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/index.html

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 03:07:25 AM »
Am not sure of same but I have to also learn how to switch sides myself, ie having to get dog run on left or right depending on which way the course runs (so can start with dog on left then switch to right midstream then left depending on which way dog has to jump etc., which sounds easy writing it down but I end up tripping over myself and dog running all over the place ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »
Until I started agility I didn't realise how well Molo had learnt to stay on the left  :005: I now try and practice both sides when we are out walking, which is harder for me then for him, I think  ::)

Well done Debs - I think Ben is going to turn out to be a bit of a star at agility - make sure you post when your first competition is, and I'll definitely come over the water over to watch you both  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
Competitions !!!!!  I'm lucky to have got through the first one hour training without too much disgrace! 

The class leader did say at one point 'if you find your dog getting bored, feel free to walk him round the field' ............. she was looking at Ben who was savaging his lead and throwing himself upside down at the time  :lol:  He doesn't do the calm sit while the trainer is talking  ;)

I've been practicing the 'wait' while I run away - usually a sign that he has to follow me damn quick!  He got it within 3 or 4 attempts  :shades:  The right or left is a bit hit and miss - I shout right and throw the ball  to his right- I shout left and throw the ball to his left.  Don't know if he's getting this but the other walkers near by are!  I'm sure they think I'm mad .................... and Becky just thinks I'm making a show of myself  :D

Is this going to get harder  :lol: :lol:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »
Awesome you guys, go Ben!
Piccies of him on the equipment and in mid jump please ;) :D
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
 :lol: :lol:  Sounds great Debbie!

I have this to look forward to, Alfie's agility classes start in March. He's already pretty good at left and right from his working training but he doesn't do polite waiting on the lead either, he rolls around on the floor and tries to chew through it  ph34r
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:41:35 PM »
he doesn't do polite waiting on the lead either, he rolls around on the floor and tries to chew through it  ph34r

we found very early in our training classes that barkley does 'do' waiting around either. our pup, who never barked at all at home, would fidget, bark at the other dogs to play with him, roll around, and generally make himself known to the whole class the entire time. meanwhile, everyone else's dog would sit there perfectly contentedly, waiting to be told what to do next.  ph34r

way to go, ben and debbie! i'm so jealous- i love the idea of doing agility with barkers but just don't know if his training is good enough. i was told by someone that a big requirement is a good off-lead heal and this is something that we are really struggling with.  ::)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:47:35 PM »
Ali - try a clicker for off-lead heelwork - its magic  :D

Debbie - thanks for the tip about teaching left from right - I'd never have thought of using a ball  ;)

Molo is the noisy one in class, too  - although fortunately, the class teacher owns one of his half sisters, so knows how gobby cockers can be  ph34r I am working hard on it, but have noticed that he now barks when he is excited at other times too - time to teach the commands "speak" and "quiet" I think  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
Ali - try a clicker for off-lead heelwork - its magic  :D

Debbie - thanks for the tip about teaching left from right - I'd never have thought of using a ball  ;)

Molo is the noisy one in class, too  - although fortunately, the class teacher owns one of his half sisters, so knows how gobby cockers can be  ph34r I am working hard on it, but have noticed that he now barks when he is excited at other times too - time to teach the commands "speak" and "quiet" I think  ::)

Ben's off lead heel work only ever works if I have a treat in my hand - held just above his nose!  As soon as he's had the treat - he's off!

The ball throwing was a tip from the trainer but I need more tips on training left and right.  What do you do Rachel ? 

Any suggestions from anyone PLEASE!!!!