Author Topic: newborn Pup with cleft palate  (Read 12617 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: newborn Pup with cleft palate
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »
But that's not the reason cleft palate puppies are sometimes PTS - it's because it can be a serious debilitating defect. If the cleft is not too serious, then yes there's every chance this pup can survive with a lot of care and surgery but sometimes the defect is so serious there is no choice, speaking as someone who has had to PTS a puppy for this very reason (some years ago now) and it certainly wasn't because the pup was not a good example of the breed :( I agree this pup should be given every chance and hopefully the outcome will be good for this little one but sometimes no matter how hard you try, you cannot save every pup born with this defect.

I realise that Jane :D  just that in this particular instance(which I was referrinng to) the OP had already said that her vet seemed to think this pup had a good chance ;)  and the OP was worried that she was being irresponsible by not having the pup put to sleep, as the pup wasn't a good example of the breed.   I wasn's saying thats the case in all dogs born with a CP as obviousley CP vary in severity.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
Ann I really hope she makes it. Do you have a lot of experience in breeding? I think I would have taken the vets advice. Sorry but not being a good example of the breed wouldn't be good enough reason for me to PTS a pup but then I have no experience of breeding and would follow my heart and could not PTS a pup that had a chance of having a good life. I hope it all works out for you.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 10:58:47 PM »
.. just that in this particular instance(which I was referrinng to) the OP had already said that her vet seemed to think this pup had a good chance ;)  and the OP was worried that she was being irresponsible by not having the pup put to sleep, as the pup wasn't a good example of the breed.   I wasn's saying thats the case in all dogs born with a CP as obviousley CP vary in severity.

I appreciate that Emma but your comments did seem to be directed at breeders generally so I just wanted to put across the point that to PTS a puppy with a cleft is sometimes unavoidable and not done for shallow reasons. I know of puppies with apparently minor cleft palates who have not made it despite a breeder's best efforts - inhalation pneumonia is a risk when bottle feeding a pup with even a minor cleft and in such cases, it's far better to PTS then watch a pup die painfully. Hopefully this will not happen to the OP's pup and he will be one of the lucky ones :blink:

Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »

I appreciate that Emma but your comments did seem to be directed at breeders generally

Jane, i'm sorry but I have to challenge you on that remark, it certainly wasn't directed at breeders generally ::)  If you read the origional post and then my reply you will see, why I replied the way I did ;)   I'm a bit annoyed tbh at the fact that you have taken my post out of context, I can assure you I replied to the particular circumstances that the OP wrote about, why would I direct at breeders in general?, what would I have to gain in doing that?  My mind doesn't work like that :huh:   I also never mentioned that breeders would do this for shallow reasons :huh:

I'm confused  :huh:  Can you point out to me which part you assumed I was referring to "breeders in general" please, then maybe I can understand what you mean?

ETA:  I also hope this little girl pulls through.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
We had a pup a few years ago that was born with a cleft palette, we rung the vet and planned to take him in the next day to see what they thought, unfortunately he didn't make it through the night  :'(, in most cases nature makes the decision for you.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
I'm a bit annoyed tbh at the fact that you have taken my post out of context, I can assure you I replied to the particular circumstances that the OP wrote about, why would I direct at breeders in general?, what would I have to gain in doing that?  My mind doesn't work like that :huh:

Emma, I'm really not getting into an argument with you over this - what would be the point? You say you were talking only about the OP's specific case but it to me it reads like you were making some general comments (eg "a dog can get by with a cleft palate surely") . If you want to carry on having a go at me, please do so privately so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »

Emma, I'm really not getting into an argument with you over this - what would be the point? You say you were talking only about the OP's specific case but it to me it reads like you were making some general comments (eg "a dog can get by with a cleft palate surely") . If you want to carry on having a go at me, please do so privately so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

I am more than happy for the thread to continue for the benefit of the OP and the pup ;)

Jane, i'm really sorry that you have such a low opinion of me :'(  Its not what I meant atall, but if thats what you say I meant, then I must have mustn't I ::)

Apologies to the OP for the way this has been taken off topic ;)

Offline julesd

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Ann, good luck with the pup, hope she makes it  :luv:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
Yes, good luck with her.   ;)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:04 AM »
Good luck with the little one ,let us know how she's doing  :D

Offline ann

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »
thanks guys, well she's made it through the night, and seems a little stronger,
she has put on over 1  once, which isn't lots but at least its something.  :blink:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 11:20:42 AM »
Glad to hear she is still fighting  :D
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
Pleased to hear she has been given a chance and is still fighting.  Fingers crossed for her  :luv:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
Good luck with your little girl. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
Good luck little one. Hope you pull through.  :luv: :luv: