Author Topic: Training Order Ritual (how to break it)  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Training Order Ritual (how to break it)
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:54:08 PM »
Not sure if this is in the right place :huh:

Just wanted to know how I can break a training routine?  Indie is 4 almost so i'm looking for a way to undo 4 years of a bad habit :005:  It doesn't really matter that she does this, but would be nice to get her to listen to us, rather than her guessing what comes next.

When we say sit to Indie, she sits, when we say flat, she gives you her paw and woofs :lol:  This is because for years, sit, was followed by, give us your paw and say please, so now everytime we say SIT, she sits, then unpromted up comes her paw, then her other one, and she woofs at the same time, then eagerly awaits her treat :005:  She will do FLAT, but only after shes given you both paws and woofed ;)

Any ideas :huh:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Training Order Ritual (how to break it)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:24:30 AM »
How about asking her to lie down first? Then ask her to stand up straight away, then lie down again, then sit up and then stand... mix up the routine a bit so that she can't second guess you.

Also, don't treat her if she offers her paw and barks unprompted. Ignore her when she does this, don't do anything for a minute or so then ask her to sit again... and repeat ad infinitum  :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:36:02 AM »
can she just go straight into the flat?  Without you asking her to go through the sit first?

One of my dogs is a bit cheeky for trying to mind read.  I have to keep her guessing like nicola and luvly suggested by mixing things up.  Also, I show her her toy, ask her if she wants it, then ask for a move/behaviour.  If it's correct she gets the toy.  If she guesses wrong (and I know she understands the command) I just igorne her for a short while.  I then say 'shall, we try again?' and ask for the behaviour a second time.  If she gets it right she gets the toy.  She soon remembers to listen  :005:  Maybe try something similar with Indie?

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:50:49 AM »
Thanks, have been trying to mix things around a bit, but still the paw comes up :lol:  Will keep on trying ;)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:25 PM »
How's Indie doing with not 'waving' at you?

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:12:50 PM »
How about asking her to lie down first? Then ask her to stand up straight away, then lie down again, then sit up and then stand... mix up the routine a bit so that she can't second guess you.

Also, don't treat her if she offers her paw and barks unprompted. Ignore her when she does this, don't do anything for a minute or so then ask her to sit again... and repeat ad infinitum  :lol:

agree with Nicola  :blink:

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:14:30 PM »
Aw bless! I taught Chloe wave the other day and now she constantly waves at me! LMAO! I just persist with what I'm asking her to do though and keep going! :D

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »

:005:

Yes, the little monkey :lol:   We are trying to teach her "roll over" but not having much luck with that, but she still does the whole routine in the same order, she does it really quickly, its funny :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
Wilf used to do this --- if you hesitate when he knows you have a treat in hand he goes into the down position (I'd tried so hard with him as Ruby would never go down but once Wilf got it she decided to overcome her stubborness and do it). Now I just make sure neither are rewarded (with anything) for what I didn't ask them to do
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 10:15:35 AM »

:005:

Yes, the little monkey :lol:   We are trying to teach her "roll over" but not having much luck with that, but she still does the whole routine in the same order, she does it really quickly, its funny :005:

We had a problem with rollover as once we had taught it we did so often they automatically rolled over when we asked for down. Took ages to break that habit lol

Janey

Penel

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 10:23:59 AM »
If you use a clicker, just do one thing each training session, get that perfect.... ignore the other stuff say "wrong" or "ahah" , and click the PERFECT ones....

Stop doing things all in the same session !  and teach new things too - can she target - run to  mat, sit on the mat - touch a cone with her nose ... plenty of new things you can teach ;)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »
I use Ohoh if they offer something I am not looking for, then I would look away or if using a lure, put the lure away, then try again

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks guys :shades:

Still working on her, she won't beat me, its a battle of wills at the mo :lol: