Author Topic: Is it bad etiquette to join two clubs?!  (Read 1580 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Is it bad etiquette to join two clubs?!
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to get Henry a place on a beginner's agility course with a local club last autumn.  Unfortunately, because I was sent abroad for quite a few months with work, we weren't able to complete the course.  We had about 6 classes and Henry absolutely loved it. 

Anyway, now that I'm back and settled, I'm really keen to get Henry back into it.  The club we were at last autumn have very kindly agreed to let us join the improvers class on Tues nights, but I'm not sure that going once a week will be often enough for Henry to catch-up on what he's lost (and also I guess the competitive streak in me likes the thought of competing with him eventually!).  So, I'm thinking of joining another local club who train on Wed nights, but I'm not sure whether this would be frowned upon?

I've got an assessment meeting tonight with the other club to check us out, but I'm not sure whether to mention the first club or not?

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Ally
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Is it bad etiquette to join two clubs?!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:28:39 PM »
Lots of people here do it - there is an Gundog Club, a Dog Training Association and several different private trainers who run classes - some people in my agility class go straight on to another class in a different place immediately afterwards  :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
I am a member of 2 clubs as I wanted to start Dobbie and my first club didnt have a space, thoroughly enjoy the variety, a little bit of tension as the 2 people who run the clubs arent fond of each other, but no problems at all apart from that :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »
It is better to have different approaches in my oppinion.
Put ten dog trainers in a room and they would all come up with differing solutions to the same problem.
I would not have an issue joining as many clubs as possible if it would improve my dog.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »
I'm member of lots of different clubs some don't really appreciate it but to be honest i've learnt alot more going to different people than staying with just one club.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »
I think if you only compete in individual competition, and arent in a team for either club it shouldnt matter?

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:02:48 PM »
I competed in a Crufts qualifier for 1 team, also I had to chose the club to register with Agility Eye as my points go towards club points, but these sort of things are not important until you start picking up places and seriously competing, so dont worry about it

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:24:15 PM »
Cool! I'm glad you all think it's okay.  We went to the assessment with the 2nd club last night and they've said we can join the improvers group!  There were about 5 other people there who also wanted to join, and becuase Henry had done a little bit of agility, they used him to demonstrate and he was an absolute star :luv:  The only thing he wasn't too keen on was the tyre, which he hadn't done before, so I'm off into town now to buy a hula hoop to practice with! 

Ally and Henry the Hound xx